Why become a member? ×

Why am I not feeling the P-bass love?

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1431624522' post='2773380']

No. I bought mine when I was 19 (I'm old and grey) and still have it.

Even when I played other basses I've never considered selling this bass.
[/quote]

I'd love to still have the Guild B302 I started out on

Edited by MoJo

I am a recent convert from a jazz to a precision... It is the tone in my head and I can't ever see myself having a need for the Jazz again, I am keeping it just in case though.

I love P pickups but always have to mix it up with something at the bridge. Never liked my playing through a P alone unless there's a lot of processing and even then it only sounds satisfying to me when solo'd. I feel I get the best of both with my two PJ basses (Peavey Zodiac, like in my avatar ;)). Although the old Fender P Deluxe with the dual coil in the bridge is truly a force to be reckoned with!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1431605881' post='2773065']
I found that, despite liking MIMs, Squiers, CIJs, Sig Series etc, the ones for me are the US Standards. It may be "label-conciousness" or something, but I just feel more comfortable with them. Nothing wrong with the others, but to me there is always something, that I can`t specify mind, missing with them.
[/quote]

It took me 27 years & a few attempts to love the Precision bass, but like Lozz196 the new American Standard Precision changed all that for me B) .

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I was the same until I got my Lakland skyline Bob Glaub. It's by far the best precision I've ever owned. [/font][/color][/quote]

Same here, my Duck Dunn (the '59 one based on the Bob Glaub not the later one with the Jazz neck) is simply brilliant. I'll still get another US one at some stage I suppose, probably a 60's or 70's one maybe and I still have the paisley one - I can't see me using anything but my Duck Dunn though.

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1431634620' post='2773548']
I am a recent convert from a jazz to a precision... It is the tone in my head and I can't ever see myself having a need for the Jazz again, I am keeping it just in case though.
[/quote]

I used to not seeing the point on a Precision, when I could just use the neck pickup on my Jazz and sound the same.

;)

It does not sound the same, at all... but it took me a while to "get it".

I hated Precisions, then... I don't know what happened, but it's the #1 bass/sound for me these days.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1431774688' post='2774817']

I used to not seeing the point on a Precision, when I could just use the neck pickup on my Jazz and sound the same.

;)

It does not sound the same, at all... but it took me a while to "get it".

I hated Precisions, then... I don't know what happened, but it's the #1 bass/sound for me these days.
[/quote]
+1 I used to detest them and now it is my go to bass! Mine weighs in at 3.5kgs so nice and light on the shoulder compared to my jazz.

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1431775339' post='2774823']
+1 I used to detest them and now it is my go to bass! Mine weighs in at 3.5kgs so nice and light on the shoulder compared to my jazz.
[/quote]

That's light!

Mine is not quite so light, but the three Fender 75RI Jazz I have are all quite heavy, even for Jazz standards. So that's a bonus!

I'm expecting a Maruszczyc PJ soon, which will be reasonably light too, and adds that bridge pickup that I sometimes miss... but I also like the simplicity of a one-pickup bass. The more controls and options I have, the more I feel tempted to tweak, and that distracts me ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1431785556' post='2774982']

That's light!

Mine is not quite so light, but the three Fender 75RI Jazz I have are all quite heavy, even for Jazz standards. So that's a bonus!

I'm expecting a Maruszczyc PJ soon, which will be reasonably light too, and adds that bridge pickup that I sometimes miss... but I also like the simplicity of a one-pickup bass. The more controls and options I have, the more I feel tempted to tweak, and that distracts me ;)
[/quote]
They look nice basses, Polish I believe? Would be interested to see one close up

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1431786263' post='2774990']
They look nice basses, Polish I believe? Would be interested to see one close up
[/quote]

Well, you will have a chance soon, if you like. 2-3 more weeks, I believe. :)

I have a Polish colleague, I'll ask him how to pronounce the name on the headstock... ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1431787219' post='2775007']

I have a Polish colleague, I'll ask him how to pronounce the name on the headstock... ;)
[/quote]

I read it as Marushchick. I teach at a school where there are loads of Polish kids and have started to develop some basic skills in the language! Its a phonetic language so letter combinations always sound the same. I could be wrong though, it happens a lot. Anyway, I have gone off track.

I am in a Jazz bass phase at the moment but I can tell that another P bass is just round the corner. That Pino signature one for sale on here is amazing!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431624460' post='2773377']

I kind of like it washed-out sonic blue! ;)
[/quote]
Yup. If it's rosewood, then Sonic Blue it must be. All other colours shall have maple boards. It is written.
;)

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1431858111' post='2775552']
Got gas for a Sandberg. Anyone know about them? All I know is that they're German but has anyone played one?
[/quote]
Solid build quality, early ones can be quite heavy but they are starting to come with chambered bodies a little more now.
They tend to be a slightly modern take on a classic vibe and all the ones I have played have sounded awesome!
I had a California jj5 with Glock pre and Delano pickups...it was stunning but got sold due to being close to 5kg!