Why become a member? ×

Why am I not feeling the P-bass love?

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

....even though it's the tone I use 90% of the time? My current P/J, an inexpensive Samick Corsair has the P pickup in the sweetspot relative to it's 34" scale length and solo'd does a passable P bass impersonation. I'm not overly keen on gigging it as, despite it being a long scale bass, it's physically tiny. More like a short scale Jaguar in size. Anyone who has seen me will know I'm a big guy and on me, the Samick looks like a kids toy.

I thought about buying another P-bass. My only reservation is that, over the years, I have owned a Westfield P-bass, an SQ Squier Precision, a CIJ Fender Precision, an MIM Precision and a US 'Hot-Rod' Presicion amongst others and sold them all. Whenever I own a P-bass, I find myself looking for something else then, when I find the grass isn't necessarily greener, I go looking for another Precision.

Has anyone else experienced this on/off love for the Precision?

I just wish I could settle :(

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1431595559' post='2772875']
[/quote]

Oh yes. I sold my 76P a few years ago and did the whole merry-go-round GAS thing with P/J basses, Jazz basses, relics, P copies, modern P basses, active basses and on and on and on. Got my 76P back recently and haven't put it down since, I'm exhausted from lack of sleep!

So what does that tell you? :)

I found that, despite liking MIMs, Squiers, CIJs, Sig Series etc, the ones for me are the US Standards. It may be "label-conciousness" or something, but I just feel more comfortable with them. Nothing wrong with the others, but to me there is always something, that I can`t specify mind, missing with them.

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1431605881' post='2773065']
.....the ones for me are the US Standards....
[/quote]

I'd better start saving then :lol:

I would have made the Derby gig tomorrow but I'm out gigging myself.... :(

Have a good one ;)

[/quote]

If even someone of my tastes has dabbled (Squier P, Fender Cabronita P), then there is no hope, sorry ;)

Get yourself a nice beaten up (looks only) Limelight P, they're unique and play like the real thing at half the price.....I was never a P'man personally, but this is my go to bass for gigging with my soul band ;)

I think you should at least try an american standard before committing to anything - I've always found them to be the best in terms of Fender offerings despite the current MIM & Squire options being well regarded and the pricier american ones looking good on paper. Though if I were buying a P I'd probably be looking for a used classic 50's one.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1431609006' post='2773142']
Who actually makes the Limelights? And how much do they cost?

I've never been able to work it out.
[/quote]

They're made by Mark (though he does also use another person for relicing) at classicandcoolguitars.co.uk

They're nice bitsa's that they then do a pretty decent relicing job on. I wouldn't call them cheap though.

Should also try the Roadworn P-Bass if you get a chance. MIM made but they have a really 'played in' feel to them right out the box. Nitro finish which looks amazing especially in the sunburst. One of the best P's I've had. I still favour my see-through blonde '78 over it but that's just coz I used it for such a long time!

Almost all my basses will do a P-sound, pretty convincingly (well, convincingly enough for live work) - it's my default tone, and what I always look for in a bass. I don't have any actual P-Basses any more, and I have no real GAS for one, I had a few, but visually they don't do much for me.

So, kind of a split GAS: sound, yeah; looks, no...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1431605881' post='2773065']
I found that, despite liking MIMs, Squiers, CIJs, Sig Series etc, the ones for me are the US Standards. It may be "label-conciousness" or something, but I just feel more comfortable with them. Nothing wrong with the others, but to me there is always something, that I can`t specify mind, missing with them.
[/quote]

I agree absolutely. My first P was a USA, but I'd be happy to gig a Squier (and have done) or a CIJ or MIM, but it was a USA I moved heaven and earth for to buy back when I had the opportunity to do so. I'm not so sure I would have done that for any other Precision. There's something about it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431597002' post='2772896']
Oh yes. I sold my 76P a few years ago and did the whole merry-go-round GAS thing with P/J basses, Jazz basses, relics, P copies, modern P basses, active basses and on and on and on. Got my 76P back recently and haven't put it down since, I'm exhausted from lack of sleep!

[/quote]

That you're about to sell it and go off on another GAS-induced journey?

As another self confessed big bass playing dude ( 6'4 odd and of Hunnish decent)

I find most modern basses a bit on the small side thus i've settled happily on a t bird for live play the same reasons why people find them a little unwieldy ensures however a way of getting that P tone without the P body ( as jazz basses or indeed 51 non contoured ( SLAB) bodied basses are bigger I'd suggest a Scheter model T as there quite a bit bigger than a regulation P'J or what ive got my claws on a Status vintage P ( with a telebass style body)

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1431609560' post='2773158']
They're made by Mark...
They're nice bitsa's...[/quote]

The first part suggests he makes the bodies and necks himself. The second part suggests he buys them from somewhere else. Do you know which it is?

(Or I've misunderstood, of course).

Thanks.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431597002' post='2772896']

[/quote]

I didn't realise you sold your 76P and then got it back.....you haven't mentioned it ;)

Hehehe

[/quote]
No. I bought mine when I was 19 (I'm old and grey) and still have it.

Even when I played other basses I've never considered selling this bass.