Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRBX305 Conundrum

tobiewharton

I've just received a Yamaha TRBX305 from Thomann and I'm generally pleased with it: build quality, finish and set-up are good and it's very playable indeed. Initially, there was a little crackle and distortion from the bridge pup soloed, but that disappeared after I lowered it. The problem is, the sound just isn't doing it for me. The pups seem to have a low output and there's a distinct lack of top end. The volume balance between the pups is fine, but the bass boost is subby and loud. The two-band EQ features the five-way preset selector, which I think is unique to this model. I took a punt on a cheap, active fiver and can't help wondering whether a passive instrument (the very playable Squier VM P5 springs to mind) might have been a safer bet. However, ideally I'd like a bit more tonal versatility as I play both gospel and soul and this will be my only bass. Plus, I can't really be bothered to send the Yamaha back to Thomann as it was a hoo ha getting it from Parcel Force in the first place. So, I'm wondering what the best solution is. Perhaps a pup change (the stock pups are ugly too)? If so, would it be an easy, straight swap (bearing in mind the preamp)? The cavities are 11.5 cm. Any other suggestions? It would be really good to hear from any of you kind folk who own one of these and particularly those of you who've made any changes.
Much appreciated!

Tobie

Hi Tobie - if it's not what you want then send it back and swap it for something else - otherwise you'll be constantly regretting it. There's nothing worse than a bass you don't like playing. Look on Thomann's website, they have a whole procedure in place for returns, it's not hard and you will be glad you did it in the long run. :)

Edited by discreet

I've tried one in a shop and watched a few YouTube demos of these. They were fairly decent and not as you described, but I also doubt there is a fault with the bass (Yamaha tend to have high QC). Then again, the demos tended to be more around the EQ switch than Bass/Treble controls. I am not surprised if the preamp is fairly naff in this respect - there has to be a compromise somewhere.

Changing pickups generally doesn't work well in Yamahas as they usually have non-standard sizes, I've seen a few done with ugly gaps either side that I wouldn't have done myself.

Edited by Machines

Return it. Mods never fix a duff bass the way you think they will, and you never get your money back. I am a serial modder and have learned which mods I will now make and which aren't worth the time. PIckup and preamp changes are pricey and generally just not worth it on a low end model. Get your money back and look again for something else.

My feeling about 5 strings is that they are hard to get right. Cheap 5ers always end up being that, cheap 5ers. I have played a lot of 5ers in the last year and would suggest the cheapest worthwhile mid range model being a Lakland 55-01. Of course the neck and string spacing may not be to your taste...

Secondhand you can do very well, of course.

Many thanks gents. Whilst you are all probably right, I'm erring towards keeping this one. I've found some very useable tones messing about with EQs and amps and I'm really enjoying the neck. If I'm honest, I suppose I'm primarily of the 'playability takes priority' persuasion, with less interest and certainly less nowse when it comes to the technicalities of a variety of tones (having been a P Bass man for a long time - who am I kidding? I still am!) and I perhaps just expected too much in the versatile sounds department from a relatively inexpensive instrument.

Funkle - a Lakland 55-01 sounds like a lovely bass, but more than I'd like to part with. Also a bit of a stretch on the scale and spacing for these hands.

Discreet - I had my eye on the V7s, but just can't fall in love with jazz basses - it's those whacking great bodies that look peculiar hanging from my skinny frame. I'm sure they sound the part and seem to have a great spec for this sort of price range. I enjoyed reading your comprehensive review.

As always, your input's much appreciated nevertheless, even if it's just for personal clarity. This place is such a treasure trove of knowledge and experience! Happy playing...

I have a TRBX305 and the pups on that are really powerful and can be adjusted to provide enough treble for my needs. The only issue i had with mine was a bit of a crackle on the treble pot which went away with use. Overall the build on them is superb for the low cost imho. I seem to be able to get quite wide ranging sounds from mine so just wonder if perhaps yours has an electronics issue?

Edited by Number6

Number6 - I agree, the quality is very good and the playability's superb. I think I was a little rash with my explorations of the electronics - there are very useable tones. The crackle and distortion on mine soon disappeared when the high bridge pup was lowered and there's now nothing from the treble pot either, so sounds the same as yours. Output wise, the last active bass I owned was a Warwick Corvette $$, which was an absolute beast. I think the volume bar in my mind was unreasonably high!

I think a lot of makers put nickels on basses these days so you could try some steels (assuming you get along with the feel). One other thing I'd suggest is that bass boost often does muddy everything up, you might get a better sound backing it off and pushing the treble (which is where I find myself with my Cort Curbow 5).

I had a TRBX 304 and whilst it is a good bass, I fell out of love with the sound of it rather quickly and moved it on. I have bought a few of the cheaper Ibby SR models and moved them on as well. I would not buy another "cheap" active bass again.

If you aren`t happy with the bass, return it now and get something else.

• 3 months later...

Update on this bass: I'm really glad I kept it! The preamp settled down and there are no issues. It's really versatile and the selector switch is surprisingly useful. The tuners are solid and the neck stable (despite it's slim profile). For the money that this cost (and I believe the red model is inexplicably cheaper from Thomann) it represents excellent value in my opinion. I also like the way Yamaha have hybridised the RBX and TRB models within this budget - I find it aesthetically pleasing and the materials and craftsmanship are more than adequate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to people now.

Tobie

Hey Tobie, that's great to hear!

I'm most likely soon to be getting a TBRX505 as my first "cheap" fiver. I went into the shop intent on deciding on a BB425 but on testing the TBRX I found I really enjoyed the tone. I wonder what the differences in tone are between the 3 series and the 5 series? Guess I need another trip to the Yamaha shop.

Hi Heket,

As far as I can tell it's just the finish, pups and preamp that differ. The design's the same, but if I remember rightly, the 505 has alnico pups, a three-band eq and active/passive switching. Should be somewhat more versatile sonically, but I've never played one. I love the BBs too.
All the best with the search!

Tobie

I had a TRBX505 and it was a nice bass. I tried the 305 as well and thought that sounded better, but i wanted more control over the tone, and the active/passive switch.
I did feel the 505 sounded bland, but maybe that like a blank canvas. It certainly did the job for almost a year.

Mark mentioned about the Sire basses, and IMO the Sire M3 is a lot closer to the TRBX than the V7. If its humbuckers you want then the Sire M3 is worth a look IMO. The pre amp is better than the TRBX, and its a lot cheaper.