Why become a member? ×

Yamaha SLB 200 string set up

I have a Stagg but I'm trying out an SLB200 and wonder if the strings are set up correctly.It is used but in perfect condition but I have no idea of who owned it or what it was used for.I have lowered the bridge almost as far as it can go but the strings still seem very high,especially at the nut.It doesn't look like any work has been done on the nut,neck or bridge and the neck looks OK.It is hard to get good sound and is hard to play compared to the Stagg.I'm trying to use proper technique but I'm a bit frustrated.The woody sound could be great but it is hard to judge when I have to work so hard at it-yeah,I know it's supposed to tough.I've played it for several hours now and all my adjustments haven't made much of an improvement.
Any suggestions would be appreciated,especially related to string height at the nut.I have played another SLB 200 and it wasn't like this one.
Maybe it's the strings!Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by Staggering on

No expertise in this, but have you read the Owner's Manual, available here..? It should give a starting point, at least, especially the bridge alignment part. Can't help more; sorry...

[url="http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/strings/silentbasses/slb200/"]Yamaha SLB200 ...[/url]

Perhaps you could go to a Yamaha store and try out an SLB 200 there, I did and was left to play it for about 20 minutes. I didn't like the sound, but that's another story. Yamaha staff are usually very good and their demo instruments are generally well set up. Great pianos BTW!

Thanks for the reply from North Yorkshire.I was there a couple of years ago for a visit but I live in Canada-a bit too far to bring it in for set up,but I appreciate your interest in my problem.I have figured out that it has D'Addario Pizzicato strings that are apparently the normal strings it is sold with.Since I play jazz(no arco yet) are they a good choice?They seem to be high tension but that could be the set up.

Bob

Thanks for the suggestions re Kolstein Heritage.I have checked around online and they seem to be a good choice-good sound and lower tension.I am still tweaking things and if I can't get the action and sound I want I will look into getting a set.Is that what you have on your SLB 100?Any effects between the bass and amp or PA?
Bob