Why become a member? ×

ESP Japan Artist Series D-TT vs. Edwards E-TT

dc2009

Ok I've got some serious GAS for this far eastern wonder. Looking at the ESP Japan website the Edwards E-TT is a third of the price of the ESP D-TT Trickstar for what looks like a very similar spec.

I know nothing about this Edwards brand. Can anyone tell me the key differences, and has anyone even seen one of these in the flesh, let alone played one?

Link to ESP site here: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/toshiya/

Cheers,
Dan

I worked for a couple of years with a guitarist who had an Edwards 335 which was very nice - Seymour Duncan PAFs as standard. He told me that it was an ESP-made brand that was only meant to be sold in Japan, not for export.

No doubt someone will be along to confirm or correct shortly :-)

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1432465902' post='2781668']
I worked for a couple of years with a guitarist who had an Edwards 335 which was very nice - Seymour Duncan PAFs as standard. He told me that it was an ESP-made brand that was only meant to be sold in Japan, not for export.

No doubt someone will be along to confirm or correct shortly :-)
[/quote]

Sounds like these Edwards are decent then. I may be able to get to Japan quite easily (see my other recent thread, any emigrating tips appreciated) so if they don't export that may not be an issue for me.

Any obvious downsides to saving myself a significant amount and getting the cheaper bass?

I had an Edwards Les Paul that was utterly fantastic. I bought it from Ishibashi.

If you can live with the fact that it is not the real thing, go for it. The fact that it was not a Gibson ate at me and, after a while, I bought a Gibson and sold the Edwards. In spite of all that, I ended up with an ESP Les Paul Custom type guitar that I still have today and the Gibson was sold years ago.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1432720927' post='2784196']
Super long scale, small body, massive headstock.

The balance on that is going to be bloody awful.
[/quote]

+1 even with the considerable mass behind the bridge (judging from the photos), and assuming it has a very shallow neck profile & light tuners - it's not going to balance like a Jazz bass.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1432615223' post='2783200']
I had an Edwards Les Paul that was utterly fantastic. I bought it from Ishibashi.

If you can live with the fact that it is not the real thing, go for it. The fact that it was not a Gibson ate at me and, after a while, I bought a Gibson and sold the Edwards. In spite of all that, I ended up with an ESP Les Paul Custom type guitar that I still have today and the Gibson was sold years ago.
[/quote]

I've been persistently averse to Warwick Rockbasses, ESP LTD's (had one, really didn't like it). That said I've had about 4 Epiphone Thunderbirds in various guises and always been ok with them not being the real Gibson deal.

Some really positive reviews of these Japanese ESPs/Edwards here which is reassuring.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1432762269' post='2784817']
+1 even with the considerable mass behind the bridge (judging from the photos), and assuming it has a very shallow neck profile & light tuners - it's not going to balance like a Jazz bass.
[/quote]

I thought that but the neck strap lock position appears to be on the back of the body, which is what most Thunderbird owners do (I had a few and they're unmanageable without the adjustment).

That said, getting GAS for something it's not possible to play in this country is always an issue.

Anyone ever even seen one of these?

Edited by dc2009

And also, it appears that the ESP EQ in the proper version can be picked up for £90 (hope the cinnamon comes with it): http://www.amazon.co.jp/ESP-CINNAMON-ACTIVE-CIRCUIT-%E3%83%99%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E3%83%97%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%83%97/dp/B001SLIUCU

So with that, if I don't mind 3P maple neck over 7P maple/paduak/walnut and dot markers over MoP ones, plus the obvious logo on the headstock, the saving is £2000!!!!!

Seems like a no brainer, not sure who is buying the proper ESP model here.

Yeah, a Japan only sub-brand of ESP. I believe the basic construction is done in China and then fit and finish over at the ESP gaff in Japan on the same lines as their top end guitars.

I have an Edwards Les Paul and it's utterly fantastic. The guitars generally ship with Gotoh hardware and Seymour Duncan pickups as standard spec and all the finishing is of a very high quality. Close to or as good as most Gibsons I've had it next to.