Why become a member? ×

Securing amp to angled cab?

lemmywinks

Wondering if anyone has found a solution to this.

I want to use at least one of my cabs angled up towards me, either both as floor monitors or just the top cab of the stack. However I also want to use my amp head on top of the cab(s) without it falling off, is there a bracket or something that will hold it on?

I was thinking along the lines of a long Z shaped bracket, one that hooks over the front of the cab, runs under the amp head and supports it from the rear.

Had a look for camera mounts and DIY stuff that mught be suitable but was unable to find anything. Any ideas?

I used to angle my cab up, and put my head on there sitting on that black bobbly stuff they sell for holding things on car dashboards. Never had a problem, tho I also used to put the front two feet of the amp over the front lip of the cab if I was going very loud. That's with the smaller heads like LMIIs, Streamliners, RH450s, etc.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1431774116' post='2774813']
I used to angle my cab up, and put my head on there sitting on that black bobbly stuff they sell for holding things on car dashboards.
[/quote]

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/multi-purpose-non-slip-mat-n21cx

There are places on the web where you can buy foam cut to size in loads of different shapes - I've bought two pieces of a wedge shape so that I can angle my Markbass traveler 102 up at me a bit with one, and put the other on top of the cab the other way around so the head sits flat.

An angled cab will have a more extreme slope but you could fix the foam wedge to a bit of thin plywood with another bit of ply at right angles at the front edge to hook over the cab front. If you see what I mean...

The cabs are Markbass Club 121 which can be tilted back, the angle is quite sharp though (about 45 degrees) so I'm not sure foam would do it. Also they're tolex covered so Velcro might not be an option.

I've had a look at acrylic book stands but they're about 30 quid and don't look ideal.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1431780203' post='2774913']
The cabs are Markbass Club 121 which can be tilted back, the angle is quite sharp though (about 45 degrees) so I'm not sure foam would do it. Also they're tolex covered so Velcro might not be an option.

I've had a look at acrylic book stands but they're about 30 quid and don't look ideal.
[/quote]

What is the amp head? I have a Markbass setup and use the Velcro tilt back amp stand thing but I have the head in a Markbass head back which has Velcro and holds it in place.

The bags are £70 though!

Amp is a LMII, however as I said the cabs are tolex and are angled at about 45 degrees when kicked back so I doubt velcro would work, even if I used industrial velcro stuck to the tolex (which I don't want to do, they're nice looking cabs). I certainly wouldn't be comfortabe gigging with it like that as like I said I want to use the top cab of the stack tilted so if the head fell backwards it would be a 3ft drop. I tried hanging the front feet over the cab and this is ok for using one as a floor wedge, I wouldn't trust it on top of the full stack at volume though, not without fitting bigger feet to the LMII which is an option.

@ KiOgon - that looks ideal, thanks! Even with Parcelforce charges (I don't have a local Ikea) it's a good bet, should fit ok too as I only need about 26cm long. I think the measurements on the site are for the package and not the item though, do you have one to measure?

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1431799056' post='2775155']
Amp is a LMII, however as I said the cabs are tolex and are angled at about 45 degrees when kicked back so I doubt velcro would work, even if I used industrial velcro stuck to the tolex (which I don't want to do, they're nice looking cabs). I certainly wouldn't be comfortabe gigging with it like that as like I said I want to use the top cab of the stack tilted so if the head fell backwards it would be a 3ft drop. I tried hanging the front feet over the cab and this is ok for using one as a floor wedge, I wouldn't trust it on top of the full stack at volume though, not without fitting bigger feet to the LMII which is an option.

@ KiOgon - that looks ideal, thanks! Even with Parcelforce charges (I don't have a local Ikea) it's a good bet, should fit ok too as I only need about 26cm long. I think the measurements on the site are for the package and not the item though, do you have one to measure?
[/quote]No I don't have one here to measure but looking at the laptop shown I think you'll be alright ;) we don't have a handy Ikea either :huh:

Edit - Just seen them for £6.99 delivered on eBay, cheaper than the £10.40 on Ikea's website:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IKEA-BRADA-LAPTOP-SUPPORT-TABLE-TRAY-SOFA-BED-LAPTOP-PINK-BLACK-ANF-GREEN-/121631928586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1c51d3f10a

Got one on order, cheers KiOgon!

Arrived today so I set my rig up to see if it worked, happy to say that it looks almost perfect. There's plenty of overhang on the front and enough on the back to keep it secure without obscuring any ports. I'm going to add some large rubber feet or an adhesive pad to the back, to make it more grippy, doesn't really need it but it's a cheap mod.

Added bonuses are it looks quite classy for a piece of plastic (nice swirly pattern) so no worries at gigs where that matters and it also packs away securely under the cab cover without obscuring the handled so nothing extra to carry. That last one is really important to me as I hate making two trips to load my gear!

As you can see the angle of the tilted cab is quite steep so velcro or pads would probably have resulted in an expensive amp repair.

So cheers KiOgon, nice find!

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1432137829' post='2778528']
Sweet! So does the eBay seller just step in for those who aren't near/can't bear to visit an IKEA? Good idea!
[/quote]

I assume so, they're £2.90 to buy in store but postage must be a bit as they're pretty bulky (42cm x 31cm x 9cm). It was delivered with Yodel IIRC so there can't be much profit in it unless he buys loads at a significant discount.

Ikea do deliver these btw, just with Porcel Farce at £7.50.

Edited by lemmywinks

That's a fantastic find. Looks good too. :)

Heavy Duty Velcro would have no problem holding the amp to the cab, it's unbelievably grippy, but I'd agree that you wouldn't want to stick it on those cabs. The glue on the back is mega strong.

Looks great, but it strikes me that if one of the cables into the back of the amp gets pulled it might flip the amp backwards over the edge. If that seems like a potential risk can you maybe wrap the cable(s) around a handle somewhere?

[quote name='Mr H' timestamp='1432147204' post='2778678']
Looks great, but it strikes me that if one of the cables into the back of the amp gets pulled it might flip the amp backwards over the edge. If that seems like a potential risk can you maybe wrap the cable(s) around a handle somewhere?
[/quote]
Yeah. He could put some Velcro on the tray. :yarr:

I don't think there's much danger of that, none of my speakons dangle much as I'm pretty obsessive about neat cables. The amp to cab cable is 50cm long and connects to the underside of the tilted cab so it's tucked away safely. Besides nobody is allowed around the back of my amp!

It's mainly for use on small stages where I am really close to my rig (hence needing it to be tilted towards my ears), so in those situations it's is going to be against a wall with me right near it. If I've got some space it will be set up normally with both drivers pointing forwards. I found I really missed the angled speaker of my Schroeder when space was tight, I don't like crazy loud, booming bass on stage but need to hear myself and that cab never let me down.

I'll be going to Poundland on Friday to grab some of the adhesive rubber pad sets so I can get it properly gig-ready for use that night. If I have an amp disaster I'll let you all know!