Why become a member? ×

Anti-GAS, or being happy with what you've got.

mcnach

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1431948553' post='2776423']
+1 to that Paul. The experience you gain from all these basses passing through is invaluable.

....and Mrs.Paul S is just as lovely as Paul says. Fell on your feet there buddy, but I've not done so bad myself. I was chatting with Mrs.H last night about a pre-owned bass that I am interested in. She said "Why don't you just get a new one?". I explained that they are very expensive (think £5k to £10k bracket). She didn't bat an eyelid and said "Well, it is what you enjoy". Love that woman. Not going buy a new one, but it's the thought that counts.
[/quote]

That's very nice of you to say so - I have to agree. We are lucky chaps, for sure - what do these goddesses see in us? :)

Mind you, my new basses are generally around the £100-200 bracket... :)

I thoguht I had reached the point of 0 GAS.
I have had my two laklands, running through the Harley Benton Amp into a Barefaced midget for ~ 3 years now and haven't bought anything since. The last purchase I made was some strings (half - rounds) and they have made my Lakland Owners Group bass even better.
Unfortunately I have recently been playing the EUB a fair amount recently for a Rockabilly band, and kind of decided now I want to get a DB and learn properly. This sounds like a bad idea for me money wise!

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1431951038' post='2776466']
Unfortunately I have recently been playing the EUB a fair amount recently for a Rockabilly band, and kind of decided now I want to get a DB and learn properly.
[/quote]

That's not GAS. You're tooling up for a specific reason. Lusting after DB's #2 and #3 would definitely be classed as GAS, though.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1431945049' post='2776374']
I just read in a post that experience doesn't equal evidence. We do get some BS posted here, don't we!

My AE112 cabs were the best sounding cabs I'd used up to that point. I have switched to a CN212 (one bit of GAS I did suffer from) but not because the AE112's were bad in any way. Those AE cabs were a great sound and I got compliments on many, many gigs and from most of the guys I played with.

But apparently none of that counts!
[/quote]

I always got the most compliments from Bass players from the AE112's. Maybe they didn't think cabs that small
could put out the sound they did...and maybe they weren't familiar with the name, but I can vouch for a par of AE's
and a Thunderfunk really putting it out there and people commenting on the sound afterwards.

I would probably say the CN cabs are an upgrade, all things considered, but not one I would consider worth the money
I'd have to spend to do so.

I'm happy with my set up ,used my jazz 70s copy the other night at one of our gigs with my ebs cabs tc head ive just got a barefaced gen 3 and love my sound ,I'm gas free I'm even going too have a bass cull and just keep two basses and I nearly sold my ebs neo,s glad I came to my senses

I played a couple of Foderas at Bass Gear. What amazing instruments. The quality and authority of the tone oozed out of them. Each note sounded sooooo good.

I didn't GAS over them at all but I can see exactly what the buzz is all about.

You're a lucky chap if one of those beauties is on your bucket list.

I was GASSING to change my two MB 2 X 10'S and get either 2 x 1x12's, or a 212 (TKS or Bf).

Sunday gig, put my new TTE 500 RJ through the two Traveler 102P's, stacked the proper way, not vertically.

End of the 1st number, all the rest of the band turned round and in unison stated "that sounds 'kin amazing!"

I was a bit gobsmacked as well, removed them from sale that night.

Basses, 4 brilliant players, two too many. No GAS :)

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1432037358' post='2777419']
Funny you should mention Bass Gear, cos this is the one....

[url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/fodera-yin-yang-standard-87/"]http://www.bassgear....ng-standard-87/[/url]

Deposit paid. This will be the second bass I will have bought from them and I can't recommend them highly enough. Extremely helpful and very knowledgable. Can't wait :-)
[/quote]

Lovely... Looking forward to the NBD thread :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432034928' post='2777393']
It's great to get confirmation from the guys that you're doing something right.

Some bands do that, but some like several of mine never say a word.
[/quote]when was the last time that any of us told a guitarist that they sounded amazing :lol:

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1432041880' post='2777469']
when was the last time that any of us told a guitarist that they sounded amazing :lol:
[/quote]

I do.

I usually comment to everyone if the gig was a good one, and if someone plays a blinder I'll tell them.

One of our guitarists is using his 210 Fender now instead of the 410 combo, after we discussed the band and his sound. I think he gets a much better sound now.

You can achieve all sorts of things with positive comments.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1432064486' post='2777849']
You want to try one of those Markbass TTE 500 Randy Jackson, I think you may enjoy ;)
[/quote]

Yes I do, I've had mild GAS for one of those for ages. Just haven't got round to it yet. :)