Why become a member? ×

NPD. new Keeley Compressor Pro. It's that good.

tonyxtiger

So me and Billy Sheehan reckon this new keeley comp is a bit special, just sayin.

It is tho.

So far Ive been using the Empress compressor because of the parallel compression. I've had to use that as every comp I've tried still squashed the initial attack of the note. This will not be everyone's experience as we are all different but if you play humbuckers with a pick and dig in, that's been my experience.

I've had a boss half rack, the EBS multicomp, the Diamond and a Cali 76 TX before the empress.

I've found the keeley to be more gradual and noticeable in its controls. I've found lots of nice settings where as other comps I've struggled to find that one sweet spot. It's been dead quiet unless you really boost it. It's footprint is small (compared to the Cali) and the metering on the Keeley is very helpful too.

It does great limiting and hard compression but I love how subtle and transparent it is too. The hard/soft knee works well, the auto attack/release is good but you can find the best spot manually too. The tone of it sounds great to me, as if it's compressing but still with a sweet airy top end to it. There may be a little treble boost to it.

I will say I've tried the standard Keeley comps before and hated them but as I say everyone's needs are different. I was amazed that I couldn't get on with the Cali76 as its massively expensive and sounds nice but by the time I had it set up where I needed it was too hissy. Other settings just blunted the attack of the note.

The empress has been great but definitely for me, the Keeley Compressor Pro has been the winner so anyone thinking about one should give it a try.

Been very interested in these, so thanks for the post!

Been really looking to get into the world of compression, though just need to try a bunch, though I know vaguely what I want. Have tried a Cali was really, really impressed.

May get the MXR bass comp as an all ways on, though I had a similar experience to you, where I felt it was blunting the tone, but maybe I can live with that live till I get used to it... (wouldn't be ideal!)

I'd love a bass specific (or guitar/bass specific) Multi band compressor. I'm also hunting for a nice compressor for use on guitar, since I actually quite like a tiny bit on guitars, especially to keep big chugs from going overboard, and balancing out cleans.

The new Keeley Pro does seem like it may be the answer to both!

I guess we all need to try them for ourselves to make sure, too many variables.
Great as the Empress is, I felt if I was blending half of it out it seemed a bit pointless.

With the Keeley it's quite intuitive. You can turn the threshold really low and the compression up to really squash it, then set the attack and release to react to how you are producing your notes, easily done as there is a meter showing how quickly/slowly the compression comes in. Hearing the effect is good but sometimes seeing really helps.
Once you set the feel you want you can then dial back the compression, set hard/soft knee etc.

Simple.

It's a great compressor but ultimately I think a great compressor for people who don't like compressors.
Never thought I'd ever say compressor three times in a sentence.

• 2 weeks later...

I also tried a empress compressor, a Cali76 TX and now a [url="http://disssa.jimdo.com/reviews/effekte/keeley-compressor-pro/"]Keeley Compressor Pro[/url].

As tonyxtiger said: I think the Keeley is better than the empress because of the better controls of this comp.
I love my Cali76 on my board, but this comp is really BIG.

• 2 months later...