Why become a member? ×

Reasonable priced 12" cabs

isteen

I am using both 4x10" at the moment, along with a 1x15" - hooked up to a 500 watt head.
I am thinking of moving towards a 12" setup, two cabs with 2x12" og 4x12" in all.

I like the tone I hear from EBS CL 112
[b] EBS ClassicLine 112 - Mini Size[/b]

[color=#000000][size=3] [b]Configuration[/b] 1x 12" + 2" Frequency Response 35 - 18k Hz Sensitivity 94 dB Power Rating 250 W RMS Impedance 8 ohms Height 38 cm / 15" Width 49 cm / 19" Depth 34 cm / 13" Weight 17.5 kg / 39 lbs [/size][/color]

The [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/bc212/"]TC Electronic BC 212[/url] are almost as good (but obviously has 2 speakers)

TC Electronic are about to roll out their new line of cabs, the [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/k-212/"]K cabs[/url] (also 2x12")

If I were to hook up 2 of the above cabs to a 500 watt head, what should I go for?

I would really appreciate all inputs, experiences etc.

[i]I am moving to 12" due to weight and tone - I really care a lot about tone.[/i]

I've borrowed a BC212 a few times and was very impressed by it. Not strictly lightweight but not particularly heavy and capable of terrific volumes and EQ spread.

Probably one of the cheapest 2x12's on the market too and it's definitely up there with the Genz Benz and Fender.

Does your need for tone outweigh your need for reasonable price?

I'd suggest looking Bergantino, Barefaced and Vanderkley, and there are 2 Baer cabs in the classifieds.

These might exceed your budget a little, but are all excellent cabs for tone.

Might be worth stretching the budget a little?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1431963120' post='2776652']
Does your need for tone outweigh your need for reasonable price?

I'd suggest looking Bergantino, Barefaced and Vanderkley, and there are 2 Baer cabs in the classifieds.

These might exceed your budget a little, but are all excellent cabs for tone.

Might be worth stretching the budget a little?
[/quote]

Definitely the Baers...gutted I had already committed elsewhere. I'd PM him and see what he has in mind..??

I'd have a look at TKS cabs, the ones that I heard were superb and they're very well priced,

do you really need 2 cabs? from my experience the modern 2x12 cabs are very efficient so you might only need 1, also quite a few are 4 ohm so unless your amp can run at 2 ohms then you will be limited to a single cab.

Matt