Why become a member? ×

To drill or not to drill....

Jakester

Following on from Jose's thread about modding his G&L, I recently picked up a Warwick Streamer STD 5-string.

I've played it for a couple of months but now I'm finding it could do with some more 'oomph'. The standard pickups are known to be quite weak and they're apparently a non-standard fitting, so finding a replacement can be tricky.

I've owned a few active basses in the past so my first though turns to fitting a preamp. My last bass before this one had a J-Retro fitted, so I'm considering going with either a U-Retro or one of the new Uni-Pre's.

The bass as standard is three-knob VVT, with a top-mounted jack.

I could go with a Uni-Pre 3-knob and basically drop that straight in without drilling (if I leave the active/passive toggle switch in the cavity), but I could go with the 4-knob version which includes a passive tone control and push/pull toggle for active.

This would mean I'd have to drill out the body (most likely on the underside) to fit a new jack.

Now, my woodworking skills are limited at best, but I reckon I could make a half-decent fist of it, and if not I'm sure I could find someone that can.

Knowing the bass isn't particularly well thought of so unlikely to increase in value any time soon, is there any thing to prevent me going with the 4-knob and getting the drill out?

Mostly it's about re-sale value, if you drill the bass for a new pre then decide to sell it you are unlikely to get your money back on your total investment, the pre on it own would sell on here easily if you removed it at a later date but then you can't put the Streamer back to standard, if you aren't so worried about loosing some money and just want the best bass for you I'd go for the four knob.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1431882717' post='2775878']
You can always put a DFA switch on it if you remove the 4-knob.
[/quote]

It took me a minute to work out what one of those switches was :D

another option could be to get install a stacked volume/pan control (or stacked volume/volume), and then 3 band EQ split over remaining two knobs (e.g. treble and bass stack as one, and mids/mid frequency as the other). no drilling required and you can sell components separately....

If you don't want to chop the bass but want the 4 knobs you can get a replacement electronics cover (made of plastic or veneer) and store the original one, then drill the hole for the jack on it. Just be sure to use an L-angled jack cable ;) It should be enough to solve the problem and i don't think it will be that much hassle to have it against your body while playing, just put the jack the further away from the contact zone between the bass and the body.

I had a Streamer STD (a German one) and I fitted a Barolini pcikup in it, a W4CBC-B, which was a drop-in replacement. Not sure if Bartolini do a 5-string but it might be worth checking. It beefed up the tone no end.

Regret selling that bass !