Why become a member? ×

Joyo British Sound Marshall analogue modeller.

Ancient Mariner

I usually play in church with either a keyboard player or solo, usually using my Godin xtSA for a mix of cleanish acoustic and electric sounds, but this weekend just passed I was invited to play with a band for a larger regional meeting. Knowing it was going to be a bit different, I took a variety of pedals on the board including the usual suspects of digital and analogue delays, chorus, univibe, a TS-9 clone and the British Sound Marshall modeller, set up for a good solid crunch through a cleanish valve amp.

I ended up using this sound about half the time. It was like being wrapped in a warm, energising blanket, and although there's a lot of emotion involved in playing songs like we were using, the tone from this pedal really encouraged me to 'have at it' as well. Sometimes budget overdrive pedals can sound a bit one-dimensional, but not in this case.

TL:DR Cheap marshall-sounding pedal works well. ;)

• Like 1

Too long : did not read. ;)

I have the American Sound, which I use for tone shaping (scoop mids for acoustic-type clean tones, boost mids & bass, cut highs for fat, jazzy tones) and haven't noticed a hiss when clean. I also have the California version, which does the Boogie MkI-style gain thing really well for Santana impersonation, but hisses badly when wound up. The AS normally stays on the board, but I wanted something crunchier & more solid than the 2 overdrive/distortion pedals I've been using.

• 10 months later...

Just ordered an American Sound from Aliexpress for £21.51! :D

I've been watching some YT demos and it sounds pretty amazing to my ears. I'm planning to record with it and if I ever jump on guitar for a song, to put it straight into the PA.

And now the waiting begins :D

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1431946072' post='2776385']
I have one of their 'American' pedals which is meant to be Fender-ish. It's very nice - a bit hissy at hight gain, but not bad at all

What does TLDR mean ?
[/quote]
I have the same pedal. Punches way above its weight for the price. I agree about the hiss so tend to avoid using compression after it. Does great Alan Murphy impressions with the treble and mids at 5 oclock, gain at 3 and voice about 1.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1431959776' post='2776601']
I wanted something crunchier & more solid than the 2 overdrive/distortion pedals I've been using.
[/quote]
I'm expecting an Amptweaker Tight Rock to land at my door specifically for this purpose some time this week. Very crunchy and raw sounding overdrive. The designer James Brown (no sniggering at the back, thanks) designed the 5150 head and some stuff for Joe Satriani.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my Joyo American sound to a rehearsal space tonight to test it out and I am amazed by it.

I used it with a cheap, Chinese tubescreamer clone and delay and it sounded great. I played it through my Gear4music 30w combo and it transformed it from a lifeless box into what sounded like a good approximation of a Fender valve amp. Then I tried it straight into the pa and it sounded just as good, although the drummer preferred it through the combo.

I am blown away by how good this set up sounds.. I am waiting for a compressor and a tuner from Aliexpress and then I will have a great little pedalboard that I can gig with, without an amp, for less than £75 :D