Why become a member? ×

I tried a Peavey 4x10 - and I liked it!

JapanAxe

From memory, the voicing of the Peavey wasn't a million miles wide of the SWR cabs I run now.. And i really love those little Goliath Jr's!

And I think that was the winning formula for Peavey at the time, the voicing of the cab. If we wind the clock back and look at what was 'top dog' 15 or so years ago then SWR, EBS, Eden and the such like were popular (and expensive!) so one can only assume Peavey looked and listened and produced the cab we all loved.

On the downside - as already mentioned - the cabs were massive and heavy but another issue I recall (and a couple of friends with the 2x10 and 8x10 variants) was that the drivers weren't that tough. The pressed frame Peavey speaker (no doubt a basic Eminence to Peavey spec) was electrically fragile (burned coil) and I replaced a couple in my own cab as well as friends cabs too.

Would I have another? Possibly but the SWR are lighter, tougher and are in a more convenient package..

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1432375987' post='2780928']
From memory, the voicing of the Peavey wasn't a million miles wide of the SWR cabs I run now.. And i really love those little Goliath Jr's!

And I think that was the winning formula for Peavey at the time, the voicing of the cab. If we wind the clock back and look at what was 'top dog' 15 or so years ago then SWR, EBS, Eden and the such like were popular (and expensive!) so one can only assume Peavey looked and listened and produced the cab we all loved.
[/quote]

I eventually replaced my peavey stack with an eden 2x10 mostly for the massive reduction in size/weight. Next step was an epifani what was even lighter, then a compact which was lighter still.

Edited by bassman7755

I used a Peavey 115 last night as the provided cab at a gig - very nice. It was the one with the Black Widow speaker in it. It was surprisingly clear, though I did have to up my volume settings - probably an 8ohm cab and not too efficient. But no matter to that, every band who used it got a great sound from it, and we all used our own amps with it.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1432378660' post='2780971']
I eventually replaced my peavey stack with an eden 2x10 mostly for the massive reduction in size/weight. Next step was an epifani what was even lighter, then a compact which was lighter still.
[/quote]

My SWR boxes are the lightest cabs I've owned although I 'heavied' them up a little by re-installing the O/E ceramic magnet PAS drivers in place of the Eminence Deltalites they came with. They're still lighter than the Peavey 210 owned by a mate. Winner! To be fair, I borrowed said 210TVX and it was great with my old 400SMX..

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1432469625' post='2781722']
I used a Peavey 115 last night as the provided cab at a gig - very nice. It was the one with the Black Widow speaker in it. It was surprisingly clear, though I did have to up my volume settings - probably an 8ohm cab and not too efficient. But no matter to that, every band who used it got a great sound from it, and we all used our own amps with it.
[/quote]

To my knowledge, the BW they used for that was the 1502DT variant which was unique to the bass guitar cabs / amps. A lovely driver, I think it was designed to be a little EVM-L / JBL style..

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1432511338' post='2782252']
My SWR boxes are the lightest cabs I've owned although I 'heavied' them up a little by re-installing the O/E ceramic magnet PAS drivers in place of the Eminence Deltalites they came with. They're still lighter than the Peavey 210 owned by a mate. Winner! To be fair, I borrowed said 210TVX and it was great with my old 400SMX..

To my knowledge, the BW they used for that was the 1502DT variant which was unique to the bass guitar cabs / amps. A lovely driver, I think it was designed to be a little EVM-L / JBL style..
[/quote]

I far preferred the PAS drivers in the Goliaths but I couldn't get the PAS units reconed so I put Eminence 2510's in them..and just
didn't like the cabs anymore...
Altho they say the recone kits are available in the U.S... I couldn't get anyone to do it over here.

Thats part of the reason Neil sold the SWR boxes to me, he preferred the weight of the eminence but somehow lost the sound. He's since moved to Markbass. Luckily, with mine came a number of PAS drivers so I currently have three spares for those 'just in case' moments.

As for recones, I can highly recommend Roy Johnson (RMJ Loudspeakers) for unusual and / or tricky jobs. He'd probably tackle the PAS. I couldn't find anyone who would touch my old Goodmans Audioms but Roy did me a top job on both drivers installing freshly wound coils on new formers and making use of 14" (thats not a typo, the 15" Goodmans range were like a Peavey Scorpion which too is 14" cone) Tannoy cones as originals haven't existed since way back. Both drivers work great - he was concerned the tannoy cones were a bit stiff but I've had no problems..

He'll do the K140 and the 2226 when I get round to it too..

Not sure I came up with his name, but I tried all sorts including Wembley and another company I shipped the chassis'to
and they then said the units would produce only 100w each...
By this time, I wasn't convinced this was all going to work out so I went with the Eminence units...didn't like the sound
much, ...altho EVERYONE told me this was a great conversion, so I sold them.

In retrospect, I should have bought the re-cone kits from the U.S and got them fitted here,but...??

I spoke to Wembly and to be fair they were quite helpful and knowledgable but couldn't do anything with my Goodmans.

Shame you sold them, they're great cabs.

if you ever need anything re-coning again, speak to Roy, he's the best I've seen. He does his own speaker range too which are like a Precision Devices on steriods. He also mods PDs to his own specs too. I'm sure he'd be able to do something clos to the original PAS drivers.

Not to worry John shame they're gone but glad you're well. :D

• 1 year later...

Just bought a 410tvx its big and heavy. Its currently taking up much of the living room. My lass doesn't seem to impressed especially as its slightly scruffy.

It does sound great but think the tweeter or crossover has an issue as its very noisy when on, turned off its fine and the cab still sounds good but I might fix it.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1432282620' post='2779919']
Had a 410TX for a few years. Great sounding cab,stupid value for the money etc just felt like it was bolted to the floor.
Used it with a Trace 500 and it never struggled at all.
I can never understand how some companies can charge so much
for a cabinet that has say Eminence speakers in it, however 'special' the design. Think Peavey made their own drivers
so I guess it could have been economy of scale and bargain chipboard! Even so, think mine was £219 new, when others
with not dissimilar specs were three or four times the price. Crazy.
[/quote]The driver is one one aspect of the design. The cabinet is as much if not more, that is why some of the boutique makers charge so much. Add to that they are made in the developed world, not the far east and in many cases are pushing the designs, and supporting the customer, in ways that major manufacturers are not. And of course if you don't like the price but the cheaper one.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1479047369' post='3173498']
The driver is one one aspect of the design. The cabinet is as much if not more, that is why some of the boutique makers charge so much. Add to that they are made in the developed world, not the far east and in many cases are pushing the designs, and supporting the customer, in ways that major manufacturers are not. And of course if you don't like the price but the cheaper one.
[/quote]

I get his meaning and yours at the same time.
I'm thinking though lots of the extra costs between far east and UK building is one of overheads rather than the initial designing also the driver costs, cheaper cabs use much cheaper drivers and that's a huge part of the cost.
There's probably so many aspects of the cost differences.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1479057114' post='3173599']
You want to try the Peavey 8x10. The rehearsal room I use has one, with a World Tour head. Epic sound, but about the weight of a Mini.
[/quote]

I used to own a Peavey 8x10 with an Orange Head in the late 80s. That rig was mental and the cab sounded fantastic.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1479047369' post='3173498']
The driver is one one aspect of the design. The cabinet is as much if not more, that is why some of the boutique makers charge so much. Add to that they are made in the developed world, not the far east and in many cases are pushing the designs, and supporting the customer, in ways that major manufacturers are not. And of course if you don't like the price but the cheaper one.
[/quote]

Take your point, but my Peavey was made from US components, and assembled in the UK (Corby?).
Some 1x12 cabs with a r.r.p. of nearly a grand do make me wonder TBH.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1479084241' post='3173859']
Take your point, but my Peavey was made from US components, and assembled in the UK (Corby?).
Some 1x12 cabs with a r.r.p. of nearly a grand do make me wonder TBH.
[/quote]

The peavey 410s use (or used to use anyway) the "sheffield" driver which is very low excursion by modern standards although probably plenty for with 4 of them for most real world applications. If it were possibly to cheaply produce a lightweight cab with decently high efficiency, very high power handling and good bass extension then one has to wonder why someone isn't doing it already.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1479104002' post='3173889']
The peavey 410s use (or used to use anyway) the "sheffield" driver which is very low excursion by modern standards although probably plenty for with 4 of them for most real world applications. If it were possibly to cheaply produce a lightweight cab with decently high efficiency, very high power handling and good bass extension then one has to wonder why someone isn't doing it already.
[/quote]

just a quick look at what a manufacturer would face in trying to make an affordable lightweight 4x10.

Just a quick comparison the Eminence Beta10 weighs in at 3kg and the Deltalite at 2kg. Xmax is 3mm v's 4.2mm. The cost is £463 for four Deltalites and £237 for the Betas. The magnet on the Beta weighs 34oz v's 7ox for the deltalite. Presumably using a cheaper and lighter pressed chassis on the Deltalite could bring the weight down a bit more, about 0.75 of a kg per speaker.

Crucially because of the more powerful neo magnet in the Deltalite you could make a smaller cab for a similar bass performance saving more weight on top of the 4kg you'd save on the speakers and making the cab more manoeuvrable. Other manufacturers would face the same economics so roughly you'd expect to pay double the price for lightweight drivers and would save 6-10kg in weight.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1479116104' post='3173952']

just a quick look at what a manufacturer would face in trying to make an affordable lightweight 4x10.

Just a quick comparison the Eminence Beta10 weighs in at 3kg and the Deltalite at 2kg. Xmax is 3mm v's 4.2mm. The cost is £463 for four Deltalites and £237 for the Betas. The magnet on the Beta weighs 34oz v's 7ox for the deltalite. Presumably using a cheaper and lighter pressed chassis on the Deltalite could bring the weight down a bit more, about 0.75 of a kg per speaker.

Crucially because of the more powerful neo magnet in the Deltalite you could make a smaller cab for a similar bass performance saving more weight on top of the 4kg you'd save on the speakers and making the cab more manoeuvrable. Other manufacturers would face the same economics so roughly you'd expect to pay double the price for lightweight drivers and would save 6-10kg in weight.
[/quote]

How much cheaper are custom drivers made by say Eminence for a manufacture over there off the shelf drivers.
I assume a big manufacture would go the custom/special design route. Or ask for a discount on off the shelf drivers if buying x amount over x amount of years.
Or go to a far eastern company and get there neo drivers made there.

I'm actually surprised Berhingeror other far eastern brand have not just niked a successful light weight cab and driver design. They seem to like to take "inspiration" from others and they do everything in house, even there driver cone pulp in the case of behringer. I bet they would have the resources to put out a much cheaper lightweight cab. Obviously this would be wrong morally and the quality wouldn't be the same.

Eminence do make custom drivers for others and although there might be saving to be made the ratio between lightweight neo drivers and heavier ceramic ones would remain.

There's also the question of demand. As well as weight there is also the question of size, Why carry a 200l cab when a 50l one does the job? Why take something that needs a van for transport when you could use a cab that fits in your boot. The reality is that modern speakers handle more power and amplifier watts are cheap. 500W into a 2x12 is going to be louder than a drummer and easy to carry. That's not to say there is no place for a lightweight 4x10, just that only a few people are going to want one and so only the boutique manufacturers are going to be able to make money out of building them. That makes them niche and expensive.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1479148009' post='3174348']
Eminence do make custom drivers for others and although there might be saving to be made the ratio between lightweight neo drivers and heavier ceramic ones would remain.

There's also the question of demand. As well as weight there is also the question of size, Why carry a 200l cab when a 50l one does the job? Why take something that needs a van for transport when you could use a cab that fits in your boot. The reality is that modern speakers handle more power and amplifier watts are cheap. 500W into a 2x12 is going to be louder than a drummer and easy to carry. That's not to say there is no place for a lightweight 4x10, just that only a few people are going to want one and so only the boutique manufacturers are going to be able to make money out of building them. That makes them niche and expensive.
[/quote]

I fully agree.