Why become a member? ×

Elixir strings tension question...

simonlittle

Hi guys
So I bought a beautiful Warwick Infinity 5-string secondhand from The Gallery a few weeks ago and it came strung with a brand new set of Elixir strings (45's).
I'm finding the tension quite hefty and wondered whether this is the strings (I normally play on Elites 45's) or the current setup is a bit hefty for my liking. Martin set it up and knows my other basses so I'm guessing it's the strings.
So my question is this; Do you find Elixirs have a heavier tension than other strings? I can see myself chucking out a perfectly good set of posh strings here...

Edited by simonlittle

Don't know about the 45's - but I've a set of 40's (with 95 E and 125 B ) and they are medium tension on a 34" scale Ibanez bass.

I find the 40 Elixir slightly tauter than a 40 D'Addario (both nickel plated steel rounds with 95 E's. The D'Addario XL's are a 4 string set so the comparison isn't complete).

In short I'm sorry the strings aren't working out. Maybe it's best to switch out the strings, set it up the same and see if it is the Elixirs. If not, you can pop the Elixirs back on pretty handily (Warwick 2 part bridge makes it fairly simple).

EDIT: B ) becomes B) if you don't leave a space.

Edited by PlungerModerno

I've been using Elixir .45 on my Warwick. Then I bought a set of "Heavy" Elixir .50.

I tried to sell them. No takers so I installed them on a new (used) Fender and found them not so much different on my Fender to how the .45 feels on the Warwick.

Maybe this is all down to me and my insensitivity to the tension, but I have been known to find strings too tight in the past.

If I were you I'd take them back to Martin and see what comment he has to make.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1431977896' post='2776941']
I played on a BCer's Sadowsky the other week, and couldn't believe how tight the strings felt. I was informed that they were Elixirs.
[/quote]

That is exactly what I'm talking about! Really weird right?!

I'd be more than happy to relieve you of those elixirs :D

I bought a fretless 5er that came with an old set fitted and was quite impressed with them although I dont know what gauge they are. I know they weren't the usual 30-90s rounds I'd used for years.

Seriously, drop me a PM if you want to get shut of them.

Edited by Dazed

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1431979533' post='2776974']
I'd be more than happy to relieve you of those elixirs :D

I bought a fretless 5er that came with an old set fortess and was quite impressed with them although I dont know what gauge they are. I know they weren't the usual 30-90s rounds I'd used for years.

Seriously, drop me a PM if you want to get shut of them.
[/quote]

Ha! Will do ;)