Why become a member? ×

Labella S660 vs Status Black Nylon Hand Wound for Steinberger

Mr Bassman

Anyone experienced either or both Labella S660 or Status Black Nylon Hand Wound double ball type for Steinberger fretless or similar?

I've got La Bella 760N on my Rob Allen and quite like them so thought I might replace the S500l's on my L2 with black nylons.

No, they'll all sound horrible...just sell me the bass...

Not had to use double balls strings, but I found the Status ones very floppy compared to the 760N's - partly due to gauges, but also by nature. D'Addario do a set that is somewhere between the two that might be worth a try, but my favourites were the Pyramid ones - looked old out of the packet and sounded very warm. Also very floppy, so expect to move the action up a fair bit. I guess if you have to have double balls then the choices are fairly limited

Thanks Duncan

The Steinberger will accept normal strings or double ball.

Thought about selling the L2 now I've got the Mouse, but I use it as a backup bass when taking the upright out, it's so portable.

Edited by Mr Bassman

I've got a Mo Clifton headless (with allen screws in the headpiece) but whenever I've tried flats, they fall apart when the retaining screw is tightened. Rounds are fine, but I've tried Thomastik flats and some others (Picato?) and they've fallen apart. I'm a bit puzzled - but its something to watch out for if you try to use single balls.

Don't sell the 'berger just yet...let me make some money first..

Might take a while.

I don't play fretless but do have an L2 and I've tried all the strings you mention with the exception of the S500L. Mine are the S500M and they sure thud and thump on the L2

In my experience the Status black nylons are easy to play, not too tight and the strings add a certain round wound clarity to the black nylon charecter. What I didn't like was how they thinned out as you got to the G string. Both in sound and feel. This is from memory, it's a while since I tried them. The La Bella S660 are the complete opposite - big and chunky, rounded attack with quicker decay - that description sounds quite appealing but I felt it was a little sterile on the L2. In the end I preferred the normal S500M flats which have a more articulated attack and don't lose the depth.

And now I'm just trying some standard gauge rounds and realising I can get the action lower and it almost plays itself.

I put the Status ones on the Status (which is now with its next new owner after bassgurumonster). I did try to put them onto the Sei headless but the slots at the unheadstock weren't quite wide enough to take them so it finished up with Status flats on. I like them, have got a set on the (headed) Antoniotsai too.

• 3 months later...

Finally got a set of La Bella S660 Black Nylon to try on the L2.

I can't use them as the silk windings are too long and protrude over the bridge saddles and nut.

I've messaged La Bella about the issue, anyone else had similar probs?

Edited by Mr Bassman