Why become a member? ×

Pickups for Fender Precision

I have had a constant battle with my Fender FSR Precision bass: I never get the tone I want.

Basically I want that warmth and fullness from my Jazz, but on the Precision. Why not just use the Jazz? Well different jobs call for different basses.

I put flats on it (D'Addario's) and it certainly helped, but I am still looking for that more rounded tone.

It may be the nature of the beast of the Precision and I can just adjust other elements if required, but any suggestions on pick-ups to at least aid my tonal needs?

Trouble is 'tone' is so subjective - we all have a different sound in our heads as the 'perfect' precision tone. For me the best I have tried is the Fender '62 Reissue, sometimes called the Fender Original. With a very old set of Dr Highbeams. Wizard Trad, when they were around, also gave a very good vintage tone - not sure what the new setup equivalent is.

Bizzare as for me the Jazz is not what I`d describe as full and warm, in comparison to a Precision. However, if trying to make the Precision more like a regular Jazz (assuming the neck pickup here) I`d look at Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders - a bit scooped, more lows and highs.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1432042112' post='2777471']
For me the best I have tried is the Fender '62 Reissue, sometimes called the Fender Original.
[/quote]

+1 for the Fender 62 Pups (original) and a set of La Bella Deep talkin flats (and possibly some muting sponge by the bridge) and you have that lovely warm vintage Jamerson tone (you may need to make the action slightly higher).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432040199' post='2777455']
Seymour Duncan SPB-1.
[/quote]

Was going to say the same thing or surprisingly the SPB-4 but I think that might have too much mids for what the OP wants.

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1432056441' post='2777670']
+1 for the Fender 62 Pups (original) and a set of La Bella Deep talkin flats
[/quote]

+2

I replaced the pickup in my '08 USA P-bass with one of those, and it much improved the sound (to me) - a bit clearer, more defined. I then strung it up with some La Bella's too - such a good combo, I've just bought another vintage pickup for another bass! :)

I'm with Lozz & Paul S - It depends on what you want.

A jazz can sound like a vast range of things, depending on setup, strings, pickups, and technique - If you have a clear "voice" in your head you associate with the Jazz - you might be able to get the P closer to that with the correct mix of things, pickups being a big part of it.

If the gig in question calls for a P bass - why not a PJ? I've found PJ's - especially those with regular pickups (not overwound) and a P pickup that's not set too close to the strings (so It has roughly the volume balance of a JJ pickup setup, like in a Jazz).

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1432130748' post='2778434']
....If the gig in question calls for a P bass - why not a PJ? I've found PJ's - especially those with regular pickups (not overwound) and a P pickup that's not set too close to the strings (so It has roughly the volume balance of a JJ pickup setup, like in a Jazz).
[/quote]

I'd say the PJ is the best pickup arrangement
It's just that bit more flexible, I find

However, cutting holes in the body of your P bass may not be what you had in mind....

I've got a Delano pickup on a bitsa P/J and I quite like it
Bags of output, and quite a bit of grunt from it...

I've heard a lot of people rave about Entwistle pickups
They're cheap, so it's easy to experiment - the PBXN's come out good in reviews
I recently heard a P copy bass with the basic Entwistle pickup fitted, and that sounded great

Good luck, and let us know how you get on

Edited by Marc S

I once put a J pickup on a P bass and unfortunately the improvement wasn't as much as I was expecting. I play a PJ these days with the J switched off, because I find the P is much better on its own.

So before you get into the potentially messy and expensive business of modding the bass (with an uncertain outcome) I'd look at trying out a preamp, such as the Aguilar Tone Hammer.

It's an OBP-3 on board preamp in a pedal and would almost certainly warm up your sound.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1432058105' post='2777700']
Was going to say the same thing or surprisingly the SPB-4 but I think that might have too much mids for what the OP wants.
[/quote]

Yeh not looking for too much mid.

Lots of low end, mid to cut through, and slight treble.

But I am all about the low end :)

I own a Behringer BDI 21 and it does give a nice punchy rounded vintage sound with roundwounds when I play it with my Precision.. It costs just over £20 from Thomann and is amazing value. It tries to emulate an Ampeg SVT. By the way, there really is not a lot of difference between P bass pickups. I've tried a set of no name cheapos, a set of 70's seymour Duncans and a set of Fender custom shop pickups and you'd have to be a bat to tell the difference (ie they all sounded effin great throught the right setup).

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1432745258' post='2784563']
I'm with Chris B about the Tonehammer, great pedal.

Also, the right compressor can give you a fuller and warmer tone.

New pickups aren't always the answer.
[/quote]

Actually, THIS is the correct answer.