Why become a member? ×

Relics - Limelight, Eternal, Sandberg

Clarky72

Slightly against the flow here.
I had a lovely Sea Foam Green Limelight 64 tribute made for me.
It was exceptionally good, but for whatever intangible reason, it just wasn't "the one".

I managed to get a used Mex Fender Roadworn Jazz in Fiesta Red and it really is exceptional.
It even replaced my FSR as no. 1 gig bass, and that took some doing.

So, perhaps one of them is worth trying?

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1432134412' post='2778485']
I prefer the new ones.

There are far too many Fender clones as it is - far better to have their own identity.

And from what I gather from their facebook feed the new ones are far lighter! Can't wait to try one.
[/quote]
I like the new models, too - ironically, as I have a VM5 on order, which was commissioned just before they announced the changes, so it will be old style! But no biggie - I like the Fender-alikes as well.

Got to agree with other posters regarding relicing, though - the new Sandberg style looks far too modern for relicing to make any sense, to me at least. If/when I get the new-style TM5 that I am already GASsing for, it will be shiny and new and entirely untainted by the relicer's grubby paws!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1432208136' post='2779160']
I managed to get a used Mex Fender Roadworn Jazz in Fiesta Red and it really is exceptional.
It even replaced my FSR as no. 1 gig bass, and that took some doing.

So, perhaps one of them is worth trying?
[/quote]
Yes, these really are incredibly good. And wouldn't you know it, but Mr Limelight himself has one up for sale at the mo:

http://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/roadwornjazz.htm

If I were the OP I'd still go with the incoming Sandberg at BD, though! ;)

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1432208210' post='2779162']
I like the new models, too - ironically, as I have a VM5 on order, which was commissioned just before they announced the changes, so it will be old style! But no biggie - I like the Fender-alikes as well.

Got to agree with other posters regarding relicing, though - the new Sandberg style looks far too modern for relicing to make any sense, to me at least. If/when I get the new-style TM5 that I am already GASsing for, it will be shiny and new and entirely untainted by the relicer's grubby paws!
[/quote]

I agree with that. Has to be a classic shape for a relic.

I'm looking for a nice 4 string, and I think when the new TT4 models are around I'll be going for a shiny new looking one.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1432208483' post='2779167']
Yes, these really are incredibly good. And wouldn't you know it, but Mr Limelight himself has one up for sale at the mo:

[url="http://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/roadwornjazz.htm"]http://classicandcoo...oadwornjazz.htm[/url]

If I were the OP I'd still go with the incoming Sandberg at BD, though! ;)
[/quote]I might well do that. Dropping Mark an email this afternoon about it!

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1432077555' post='2778020']
....IMO, and for the price, the Limelight basses are very well made. Mine sounded great acoustically, little truss tweak but the neck was buzz and 'dead spot' free! The pickups are also fantastic and really brought out the acoustic tone of the bass! Hard to explain, and no idea if Mark (Limelight) winds them himself...The neck also felt convincingly worn in, as though it had been played for years! I was never particularly convinced by the relic job, but they feel so good, as most Limelight owners on here will profess.

[/quote]

I've tried 2 Limelight basses, and they were both superb!
Far from being "naff" they both looked brilliant
Mark has obviously studies old basses, and replicates the wear & tear

The relicing, and in particular the aged finish of the neck are so good, you'd swear they were genuine old fenders
Lovely sound too :)
For my own taste, I'd prefer light to medium relic
But I've seen one very heavily reliced, and that looked fab

I've got a Fender Roadworn Jazz, and that's another fabulous bass
My fave ever, in fact. Looks, sounds & feels superb, and "worn in"

That Sandberg looks great
Try as many RW's / Relics as you can
But value for the money, defo Limelights IMO

Good luck with your search :)

Edited by Marc S