Why become a member? ×

Relics - Limelight, Eternal, Sandberg

Clarky72

Does anybody have any experience of any of these brands at all? Even better has anyone ABC'd them, its a longshot I know..

Its a marmite topic, but I'm getting some relic GAS. I like the look of a beaten up Jazz, but I fancy one with 2 MM pickups, like the Sandberg TM2.

I'd like (in case you're interested) a 4 string version of the above, with tortoiseshell scratchplate, rosewood board, and reverse headstock (not painted).

I haven't tried any of the brands I mentioned apart from Sandberg, so any opinions would be most welcome!

Have you seen the Limelight thread here!? http://basschat.co.uk/topic/243644-the-show-us-your-limelight-thread/page__pid__2773482__st__570#entry2773482

I had a Limelight 64-style Jazz for a while, and it was awesome! Looked as good as the real thing, and certainly sounded as good.

Also had an older Glockenlang loaded Sandberg Jazz too, for about two weeks...It was lovely, but I just never got used to the feel or sound.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1432063960' post='2777836']
Have you seen the Limelight thread here!? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/243644-the-show-us-your-limelight-thread/page__pid__2773482__st__570#entry2773482"]http://basschat.co.u...70#entry2773482[/url]

I had a Limelight 64-style Jazz for a while, and it was awesome! Looked as good as the real thing, and certainly sounded as good.

Also had an older Glockenlang loaded Sandberg Jazz too, for about two weeks...It was lovely, but I just never got used to the feel or sound.
[/quote]

How so, what did you think was different about the sound/feel, and how did the Limelight and Sandberg compare?

Edited by Clarky72

Of all the 'name' relics ive seen ive always thought the limelights looked a bit....naff. Dont look remotely genuine and a bit like a kid has gone at it with a sander. Nowhere near as genuine looking as the likes of nash and sandberg in my humble

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1432069533' post='2777930']
Of all the 'name' relics ive seen ive always thought the limelights looked a bit....naff. Dont look remotely genuine and a bit like a kid has gone at it with a sander. Nowhere near as genuine looking as the likes of nash and sandberg in my humble
[/quote]

I know what you mean, I've not seen any relics that match up to the Sandbergs.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1432066110' post='2777883']

How so, what did you think was different about the sound/feel, and how did the Limelight and Sandberg compare?
[/quote]

IMO, and for the price, the Limelight basses are very well made. Mine sounded great acoustically, little truss tweak but the neck was buzz and 'dead spot' free! The pickups are also fantastic and really brought out the acoustic tone of the bass! Hard to explain, and no idea if Mark (Limelight) winds them himself...The neck also felt convincingly worn in, as though it had been played for years! I was never particularly convinced by the relic job, but they feel so good, as most Limelight owners on here will profess.

The Sandberg had a great, hot and powerful sound with the preamp, but really lacking and with a boomy E string in passive mode IME. It was really light in its favour, and the relic job on the body was nice, but the neck was not at all aged or worn in, and I found it a bit chunky...The quality was ok, just didn't feel like it was quite worth the money I paid for it!

Just a heads up you might not be able to order the more traditional Fender shaped Sandberg's anymore, they've introduced their own body design and are phasing out the J and P shapes.

You [i]might [/i]be able to custom order the old shape but i'm guessing you'll have to pay custom prices for it.

These are the new shaped Sandberg's introduced earlier this year:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6w6GNi1Nx8[/media]

Lovely basses though! Mine, though heavy, sounds massive! :D

yep... :(

the new ones aren't very nice at all.

[b][url="https://www.facebook.com/sandbergguitars"]Sandberg Guitars[/url][/b][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial,]

[size=3]

Hi Steve,
no, we're only taking orders for the new Californias now. But there are still plenty of "old" ones out there in our retailers stores.
best wishes, Gregor[/size][/font][/color]

I've looked at Eternals website and I just prefer the look of the Limelights. No-ones ever said a bad word about them, look at the 'Show us your Limelight' thread, lots of inspiration there.

Si

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1432163545' post='2778857']
Limelight gets the closest for my money. FWIW, relics that aren't in the old Fender stylee make my brain hurt.
[/quote] Yup, another +1. Were Sandbergs around in the 60/70's? Most relics tend to replicate basses of that era I thought- IMO of course. Anyhow another Limelight lover here and the attention to detail is amazingly good, well on mine at least, and having compared it to a 'real' 71 P bass there was virtually no difference between the two (apart from value), the wear and tear, sound & playabilty was pretty much the same too. Don't get me wrong though those Sandbergs look lovely - I just don't get the idea of a relic modern bass that's all - bit like having a relic Lakland Sadowsky etc

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1432160723' post='2778844']
This is basically what I wanted before they changed their designs...

[/quote]

According to the Bass Direct website they have a TM2 coming in. Black, hardcore aged, matching headstock. Ebony board.

Best get your credit card out while you have the chance!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1432200300' post='2779042']
According to the Bass Direct website they have a TM2 coming in. Black, hardcore aged, matching headstock. Ebony board.

Best get your credit card out while you have the chance!
[/quote]
Yep, and I'm 99% certain that this one was ordered before they announced the new styles, so it will have the Fender-like styling you are after.
Limelights look good to me, but a double humbucker pup config with active-passive switching, Glockenklang pre, zero fret, plek'd fretboard, six-bolt neck joint etc. etc. would be well beyond their remit, so definitely go Sandberg if you can! Different class innit.