Why become a member? ×

Ehx micro pog - Octave up issue

MarkG3

When I put my pedal in octave up mode, I'm getting some really weird noises, some like a continuous random tone, some like extra harmonic kinda thing, rendering this mode useless. I've tried a different and separate power supply but no change. All that follows it in its chain is my ehx bass big muff

Edited by Mark_88MPH

Ok after numerous different combinations of pedal setup including the one above, I think I have worked out the culprit.

Sadly it's my Ehx bass big muff. The last option I did was to remove that after thinking it could be my ABY pedal. Issue gone completely so it seems.

That's a shame as I like the muff and prefer fuzz to dist/od.

No idea why it would create such weird noises like that

I've sold two BM's before because of the same issue. I was told that there'll always be noise with high gain pedals but its not feedback or compression its an overtone of some sort. Well, it may be because they were 2nd hand and worn or something but once your ears tune into that extra frequency, its really hard not to let it spoil what you're doing. TBH, as soon as I stopped using a BM it cleared up my sound a lot, which was actually what I was after. To my ears EQD have this with their modulation pedals to but its a sweeter (definitely more usable) overtone and a positively eerie.

Ok I think I've changed my mind as to what was causing the issue, I think it's my Fender ABY box, I removed that and just had tuner, pog , muff and no weird sounds.

Seemingly on the ABY when channel A is selected, everything is fine, when it's channel B there's a loud hum even when nothing is plugged it and touching the unit changes the hum. So going to both creates the organy like sounds. So looks like that's the culprit and possibly some grounding issue with that.

I only got the ABY the other day so I've messaged the seller on eBay to ask for a replacement

Ok so I have made things a lot better, gave the ABY pedal it's own power source separate from the multi power box that the others are connected to and it's much better. There's a bit of a hum when I'm using the POG with the fuzz but I guess I could get some sort of noise gate to get rid of it completely

That's into the multi, I have reduced more hum as I didn't realise that earlier today I had my active bass in the 0db input rather than the active one, so that took that hum away too!

Seems so silly that the majority of this is just to do with how it's/they are powered

Ok so some more hum has come back, I think I have identified it to my cheap Y splitter cable, if I slightly move the cable going into it at a certain angle then it goes. I'll look for a better quality lead and if that doesn't sort it I'll look for a cheapo hum remover pedal/noise gate

This is giving me a massive headache, I've taken the board completely apart and I'll leave it a while and come back to it hopefully with a fresher outlook.

I did briefly try experimenting with plugging the splitter into the bass then one to muff and other pog, which didn't have any hum. Separately the channels are fine but now when both together there is a volume cut.

I'll leave it for now but I think that's probably how I'll have it set up.

Remember that a POG is going to want to be exposed to the cleanest signal possible if you want it to track well it needs to be at the front of the chain (i stand to be corrected as I don't own one, just applying knowledge from other pedals).

I'd also check power supply for your pedals, try running the POG on its own power supply or a decent power brick to make sure it's not a power supply issue.

you've done the right thing double checking your cables.

Noise will enter the equation if you are introducing noisy pedals close to the start of your chain and then applying something that boosts this noise later on in the chain.... i.e. if you are running a compressor or drive / boost pedal or a buffer towards the end of the chain.

I think you're right taking a break, and then with a clear head come back and build your board 1 pedal at a time, thinking/experimenting with each pedal as you add it to see which combinations work, and which pedals add noise.

hope something in that is helpful and makes you feel it's not a gigantic pain in the ass!! we're all learning :)

Yea I have tried separate power supplies and there didn't seem to be much change.

Yea I have set the pog up close to the start of the chain too so that should be helping.

I'm sure I'll work it out, I almost got seriously annoyed yesterday where seemingly for a while the pog just stopped working. So I went away and came back and I think I had set it up wrong, but it works now!