Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic vs. Markbass

Modman

The F1 was the only MB amp I didn't like. I preferred the LM2. The best MB amp I've played was, sadly, the first they discontinued, the LMK. You could run the two channels together which made a great noise.

I think MB amps are always worth a listen.

Well,

I have just taken delivery of the LM3. Have just this second plugged it all in and the first note was just heaven! Sounds absolutely amazing, from the low B all the way up to the upper registers, every note sings!

Then I turned it up halfway...

HOLY F*****g PIG S***!!! This thing is a monster, probably one of the loudest amps i've heard and from such a small footprint!

So yeah, if anyone was having thoughts about getting one. Just go for it, you will be amazed at how good it sounds.

(BTW I don't work for Markbass haha)

Definitely worth every penny.

Again thanks for your help guys, really appreciated!

[quote name='Modman' timestamp='1432302546' post='2780223']
Well,

I have just taken delivery of the LM3. Have just this second plugged it all in and the first note was just heaven! Sounds absolutely amazing, from the low B all the way up to the upper registers, every note sings!

Then I turned it up halfway...

HOLY F*****g PIG S***!!! This thing is a monster, probably one of the loudest amps i've heard and from such a small footprint!

So yeah, if anyone was having thoughts about getting one. Just go for it, you will be amazed at how good it sounds.

(BTW I don't work for Markbass haha)

Definitely worth every penny.

Again thanks for your help guys, really appreciated!
[/quote]

Now... experiment with the VLE filter (and VPF to some extent too)... :)

• 3 weeks later...

So without starting another thread I guess I'm now looking for opinions on the new small super light bass heads. The showdown is really this: Aguilar TH500 v Littlemark III (Tube version too)
I haven't really played either but I've narrowed it down to wanting either. Both under 3kg both 500w into 4 ohms so it's down to tone, aesthetics and functionality.
I can see a lot of remarks saying positive things about the MarkBass, is it better than the Aguilar? Both class D Amps, both with 'drive' knobs?? So c'mon let's hear it, I only have a couple of weeks to decide!!
I'm going to run it into a 4x10 4 ohm cab, Sandberg TM5

[quote name='dan_thebassman' timestamp='1433864318' post='2794668']
So without starting another thread I guess I'm now looking for opinions on the new small super light bass heads. The showdown is really this: Aguilar TH500 v Littlemark III (Tube version too)
I haven't really played either but I've narrowed it down to wanting either. Both under 3kg both 500w into 4 ohms so it's down to tone, aesthetics and functionality.
I can see a lot of remarks saying positive things about the MarkBass, is it better than the Aguilar? Both class D Amps, both with 'drive' knobs?? So c'mon let's hear it, I only have a couple of weeks to decide!!
I'm going to run it into a 4x10 4 ohm cab, Sandberg TM5
[/quote]
Markbass for a clean tone. If you want more grit in your tone consider the TH500. As always best to try before you buy (in my case, because of my location not always possible). I have been through many micro amps, including a number of Markbass and the TH500. The Tecamp Puma 500/900 deserves a mention as well.
However there is one micro amp that IMO and IME that is head and shoulders above the rest and that is the Kustom KXB500. I purchased this cheap and cheerful amp as back-up for my Puma 900 and TH500. Well for several months now the KXB500 has been the only amp I have used. It offers a very punchy, articulate tone, with real weight to every note. Lots of headroom with this baby to. I use it with a Berg CN212 and I do not miss the extra wattage of the Puma 900. A few weeks back, I decided to use the Puma on a gig and it did not make it past the sound check. The KXB500 is a bit special IMO. The only downside is that the fan is a bit on the noisy side, but it has never bothered me. Certainly in a live gig situation, or band rfehearsal, it is a non issue IMO
Lots of love for this amp over on TB http://www.talkbass.com/threads/nad-the-best-amp-ive-ever-heard-kustom-kxb500.1094234/

For whatever reason, I could only find one supplier in Europe http://www.muziker.de/service/search?q=kxb500#

Terrific amp at a super price. The best bang for buck on the bass planet IMO

Still a lot of love out there for the markbass, so, does it piss over the aguilar or is it that fewer people have owned or tried the TH500?? Getting closer to making a choice, similar prices for these units so I really don't want to go, oh poo, wish I got the other one. Not many music shops close by for me to try them out first. I can probably get to a local one for the Tonehammer but not the markbass. Any ideas....I'm in Bedfordshire.

[quote name='dan_thebassman' timestamp='1434108639' post='2796763']
Still a lot of love out there for the markbass, so, does it piss over the aguilar or is it that fewer people have owned or tried the TH500?? Getting closer to making a choice, similar prices for these units so I really don't want to go, oh poo, wish I got the other one. Not many music shops close by for me to try them out first. I can probably get to a local one for the Tonehammer but not the markbass. Any ideas....I'm in Bedfordshire.
[/quote]
Try to get to BassGear if you can, or centrally London is your best bets. I've tried the Aggie and it's very very nice! It's the most vintage sounding class D amp I've ever tried. But I haven't tried MarkBass yet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I gigged last weekend at an outdoor gig with a bi-amped set up of two MarkBass Little Marks (a II and a III). One went into an Aguilar GS410, and the other into my Schroeder 1210, with a Fender P bass.

It sounded immense for the bluesy/rock stuff I was doing. Plenty of thump and goodness.

I'd highly recommend the Markbass stuff, although specifically I use the LM2s. I imagine the tone shaping will be identical on the LM3s, however I can't comment on overall tone as it's not an analogue power section on the LM3, digital innit. Sure they're still excellent though.

My only experience of gigging TC stuff is the house 'rig' at Ronnie Scotts bar (upstairs), am not a fan of it, but that is just one situation in one venue.

Si

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1438098597' post='2831637']
Anyone had an opportunity to compare the Tecamp Puma 900, MarkBass LM800 / F500 and TC Electronic BH800 models?
[/quote]

I did just this when looking for a new amp - Tecamp and the Markbass both super clean, Tecamp more proper 'flat' to my ears and was what I ended up buying (500 version). Wasn't fussed on the TC, to my ears it sounded too hi-fi and processed (Scooped) even set flat.

One thing I found out too on my quest for a new amp - a lot of the modern amps which have rotary eq's have the treble setting at 5khz+ (the PUMA and the LMiii treble knob is 8khz), not really much use if your cab doesn't have a tweeter or other high frequency driver.

This became very apparent when I took my Barefaced super compact along with me too Bass direct to try a few amps out..treble knobs on both the tecamp and the Mark didn't have any effect through the SC.

I bought the PUMA because it sounded the most transparent to me and I use it set 100% flat. I have a Sansamp paradriver last in my effects chain and tone shape from that..Still a rotary EQ but the treble is 4khz (suits the SC) and the mid is semi-parametric so I use it at about 1.5khz and get all the top end I need with a little boost on both the mid and the treble.

The puma seems to really suit having a separate preamp in front of it. It's own EQ controls are better employed to suit the room rather than tone shaping..

• 3 weeks later...

As a previous owner of a Markbass LMII and current owner of a TC Blacksmith, here's my tuppence.

First up, the Markbass - great tone out of the box, and there's enough variety in the filters that it's very possible to run this with a flat EQ and just use the filters to dial in the sound you're after. The filters themselves will give you everything you want, from classic blues, through the James Jamerson motown sound, right up to a modern clean scooped twang. It's loud enough at 500W@4ohms, but for bigger venues you may just want a bit more headroom. Plus, it's superbly portable!

Now the Blacksmith. First up, I realise that this isn't the amp that's being asked about, and at around a grand, it's considerably more expensive than the other TCs available. But I'd argue that rather than jump at a RH750, or BH800, you should keep saving until you can get this model - you'll be glad you did! At 1600w, there's no question whether this is going to be loud enough- if you've got the cabs, this thing can cause structural damage! It certainly takes a bit more work to get the sounds you're after, but they're all there if you look hard enough. The semi-parametric EQ section is really comprehensive, and the facility to change the centre frequency of the EQ opens up a whole range of tone possibilities. You've got the 3 presets and built-in tuner too, which is nice. The multi-band compressor on the Blacksmith is excellent - I'm not sure if the BH models offer this, I know the RH does - and the tubetone feature can get everything from a bit of growl to a full-out fuzztone. A real winner from my perspective is its ability to cope with a 2ohm load, and if you're planning to use the head for recording, the digital out is a handy feature. I confess, that I sometimes miss the light, compact head that was the Markbass (this is a 4U beast), but it offers so many other advantages that I'll happily live with the backache!

I am currently an owner of a TC Electronic Blacksmith too, and to start with I really do love this head. However, I don't feel that it has the same warmth, depth and growl that an all tube amp will give me. For that reason I've got it up for sale at £850 including the brand new flight case I've just had made for it. Don't get me wrong, this amp has provided me with endless tone options and power for large gigs to festivals. It is incredibly versatile and not only does it sound great it looks like an absolute beast!

• 4 years later...
On 20/05/2015 at 09:27, BassBunny said:

If you are buying new, any amp bought in the EU has a 2 yr warranty. Standard MB is 2 years, can't be sure about TC. If you buy from Thomann you get 3 years.
Regarding the 2 Amps, I've had a Little Mark for about 6 years now. I've tried just about everything else on the market including the TC RH450 and I'm am a MarkBass man through and through.
I also play in a function band and it does it for me.
What is worth trying to find out is if the recent change by MB to put the Class D power amp out of the Big Bang into the LM range has changed the sound. I do not get on with Class D at all, (hence not liking the TC and all other Class D amps), but love the Class A/B of the Little Mark.

I have the rh450. It's not loud enough. If I went to markbass would I have a louder setup ?. Are the markbass types not class D ?

6 hours ago, nemesis said:

I have the rh450. It's not loud enough. If I went to markbass would I have a louder setup ?. Are the markbass types not class D ?

@songofthewind has answered the question I guess. I haven't tried a MarkBass Class D so haven't a clue if it has the same balls as the Class A/B versions. 

The RH450 didn't do it for me. Surprisingly the only head that has impressed me, and I still have it, is a Peavey MiniMax 500. Loud as hell and a great natural tone.