Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic vs. Markbass

Modman

Hey guys,

My so called trusty Peavey Tour 700 has died so I am now on the look out for a new amp to replace.

I currently have 2 Bergantino 112 cab which gives me a combined rating of 650 watts @ 4ohms so ideally I need something to be close to that figure.

I also play in a function band covering styles from Motown, funk, disco & pop.

I have a rough £350 budget to help my situation either second hand or brand new.

The two brand new replacements I have been looking at are:

The Markbass Little Mark 3:

http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/markbass-little-mark-iii/

Or the TC Electronic BH550:

http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/markbass-little-mark-iii/

I'd love to hear the virtues and pitfalls of both in terms of tone, reliability, loudness etc.

Also any other suggestions that are within reach of my budget would be great.

Looking forward to hearing your responses

Cheers

Jake

In my experience the Markbass LM3 very flexible tonally and will meet your needs for the music that you describe; it is reliable and plenty loud. No experience of TC Electronics stuff - Sorry. The answer is to go and try them out - can't be too far from you.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

My experiences of TC is that they are very clinical and not suitable for Motown etc. however the amp I'm currently interested in to play this sort of stuff is the MarkBass Randy Jackson TTE 500 sig, hybrid amp, 6KG. Can't comment on how it sounds exactly but it's on my list to try in the next 2 or so weeks

Ah man, we've been here before, but that was with regards to the RH450. I used to have a Little Mark 3 which was great for the stuff you mentioned, perfectly reliable and a lovely tone, which I thought worked brilliantly with a couple of Bergs. Perhaps a bit over budget, but might be worth keeping an eye out for 2nd hand are Aguilar Tone Hammers and Tecamp Pumas. Oh and Carvin might be worth a look too.

Markbass all the way.

As already mentioned, they are loud and warm sounding and with the filters (mid-scoop and treble roll off) you can get what you are looking for and leave the EQ for precise adjustments.

I own the Little Rocker 500 which has an added tube for some grit, but in esence it is a LM3 and it is one of the best amps I have ever heard (and light).

Try to check both a Markbass and a TC (with your bass and cabs if possible) and let your ears do the judgment.

Good luck!

Edited by Byo

[quote name='Modman' timestamp='1432066476' post='2777888']I have a rough £350 budget to help my situation either second hand or brand new. I'd love to hear the virtues and pitfalls of both in terms of tone, reliability, loudness etc.

Also any other suggestions that are within reach of my budget would be great.
[/quote]I'm not sure that there are really any significant "pitfalls" in amps at that price range - but I would definitely recommend looking at second hand rather than new (unless you can find an outstanding deal!). For example - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/261883-aguilar-ag500-l42500/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/261883-aguilar-ag500-l42500/[/url]

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I think the second hand route is leaving me far too stressed at the moment.

The LM3 is looking like the winning contender here too, the only niggle I have with them is that I have been reading quite a threads where people's LM2s +3s have been packing up mid gig which doesn't sound inspiring to me.

Does anyone know what Makrbass warranty is like should a fault occur?

If you are buying new, any amp bought in the EU has a 2 yr warranty. Standard MB is 2 years, can't be sure about TC. If you buy from Thomann you get 3 years.
Regarding the 2 Amps, I've had a Little Mark for about 6 years now. I've tried just about everything else on the market including the TC RH450 and I'm am a MarkBass man through and through.
I also play in a function band and it does it for me.
What is worth trying to find out is if the recent change by MB to put the Class D power amp out of the Big Bang into the LM range has changed the sound. I do not get on with Class D at all, (hence not liking the TC and all other Class D amps), but love the Class A/B of the Little Mark.

No use to you I'm afraid, because of price, but I got a TTE and gigged it for the first time last Sunday.
It was frankly sensational. And loud. Very loud. Two Blackstar wielding guitards, mic'd up drummer, rock, and I had the master on 7 0'clock :o, gain at about 1 o'clock for much tubey goodness. Warm and punchy.

All 3 of the band turned round after the 1st number and chorused "that is 'kin awesome". They don't normally say hello until the second set :P

I had my two cabs up for sale and withdrew them as soon as I got home

I read on Talkbass that stats for Markbass failures showed to be less than 1 %, but obviously for the poor buggers in that 1% it is a big deal.

I recently got the BH550 and so far I have been very happy with it. It is very small and portable that I can take it a long to band practice and use it with the studio cabs. Sound wise I am really happy with it, I play in a soul/rock band and it settles in pretty nice with the rest of the band. I've only had it set at half for gain and volume and its been plenty loud at rehearsal. I've only had it a couple of months so can't comment on the reliability but for my sake, I'm hoping it will last pretty long!

Also I second getting it from Thomann they have a 3 year warranty and the shipping is really great and easy to track. They even gave me a free English lead as well as a European lead for the amp :)

Not sure on the tone prints at the moment, its a great idea but I don't know if they cut it in a band situation but they are great for trying out different effects in a quieter practice before forking out money on a separate pedal.

I also tried out the Mark bass before going for the TC. The mark bass was amazing and I opted for the TC because it had a headphones and line in for home practice and the fact that I can take the amp abroad with me (my work often takes me out of the uk for jobs) and buy a separate power lead and it will work. Had a special voltage 'thingie' (not technical I know, sorry!) so it can work in various countries.

If you have any other questions I will be happy to try and answer them. I'm pretty sure either amp will sound amazing!

:)

I've got a TC BG250-208 (when they were the same price as the BH250). I find it fine, but the TonePrint is unusable for live gigging so best not to factor it into your choice. I leave it on a subtle vibrato and never touch it.

Edited by ColinB

I haven't tried either amp mentioned in the original post, however I've owned and gigged extensively with a TC RH450 and a Markbass Momark with my Berg AE410. Based on my own experience, and the type of music the OP is playing, I would recommend Markbass for all of the reasons described above, regardless of whether buying new or second hand.

Ive owed both TC and Mark bass rigs , I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I find its easier for me to feel happy with Mark Bass tones without to much tinkering, think thats more due to my taste (a Pass through Markbass clean just does it for me) rather than TC not being up there.

I currently have a TC Electronic RH750 and a Markbass Little Mark Tube 800. I like both, for different reasons. As others have said I think the tube preamp of the MB amp gives a warmth about it that the TC lacks and so, purely in terms of the tone, is the winner. In a 'plug in, don't fiddle about and just play' situation I have on one band this is the better head for me.

If you need to change many settings during a gig I think the RH750 wins as far as usability on the fly goes . The foot-switchable mute and integral tuner I think are a huge bonus and if you need different eq/overdriven sounds for different tunes the presets are really handy. Or to make changes on the fly just dial in a little extra or less of whatever you think might be too much or lacking then click back onto your default preset - very easy to use. I wouldn't call it clinical by any means - nothing like as clear as a Genz Benz I had for a while.

And at the end of it all I find once drummer and other instruments kick off the nuances in tone are pretty much swamped out anyway.

Well on the fly changing of presets isn't on my priority list of features and it seems the tone print features are just a gimmick which isn't for me either.
Looks like Markbass has won my choice over especially hearing some examples on youtube. I know it's not ideal referencing but with a limited budget there's not much you can do.

I'm going to purchase a new LM3 today so at least then I will have warranty to cover it, plus my Equipment insurance should cover it too once it's been added.

Hopefully it'll arrive Friday and I will take it for a spin on Sunday for rehearsals.

Thanks for your input guys, this forum has been amazing to me so far :)

I've used Markbass and TC amps with 2 Berg 112 cabs and they both sounded great. I even used an Ampeg SVT3PRO and it sounded very good.

Can you stretch your budget a little further? If you can get to £450 - £500 you have a wider range of amps available to you.

Like the Genz STL 9.2 and Aguilar TH500.

I just bought a Little Mark III after having sold my CMD121P combo a few years ago. I regretted selling that combo, and when I had the opportunity to get another LM I just went for it. Why? Simple: it is simple to use, it sounds good, no bells and whistles, weighs just some milligrams - or so it seems - and very versatile tonally. The two filters, the "old school roll of" and the "smiling face" used just a little, by themselves or in combination, are all I use to tweak the tone. The eq just for room anomalies. TC is a good beast, but I prefer it simple...

Edited by bassmayhem

Well I am finding more and more that the better quality the gear you use, the less EQ that is needed to a more pleasurable tone. The LM3 that arrives tomorrow will be the icing on the cake for my setup which will be:

1. Ibanez SR1205
2. MXR Bass Compressor
3. Markbass LM3
4. Bergantino HT & EX 112s

Bit of a tone beast right there :)

[quote name='ebenezer' timestamp='1432117481' post='2778255']
I had a genz streamliner 900, wasn't keen on that, got a markbass LM2 and
happy as easy to use, great sounding and as loud as the genz...must be
bigger watts!!!
[/quote]

I went the other way, sold the LM3 and I'm happier with a Streamliner 900. It sounds "bigger" and louder to me... but I have to disclose that I was only able to sell the LM3 because I also have a CMD121P combo (the amp in it is an LM3)... That LM3 sound is veeeeery nice.

So I'd vote MarkBass too... if we were voting.

I only have experience with the TC RH450, which I owned for about 3-4 years, and I liked but nowhere near as much as the MB and GB amps, but I can't say about the BH500 you are talking about. However, another bass player in town I know owned one and he didn't like it much, and he much preferred my Streamliner. Still, it's subjective.

MarkBass! :)

[quote name='Modman' timestamp='1432231150' post='2779539']
Well I am finding more and more that the better quality the gear you use, the less EQ that is needed to a more pleasurable tone. The LM3 that arrives tomorrow will be the icing on the cake for my setup which will be:

1. Ibanez SR1205
2. MXR Bass Compressor
3. Markbass LM3
4. Bergantino HT & EX 112s

Bit of a tone beast right there :)
[/quote]

Very nice indeed, I've tried a MB Big Bang through those cabs, which was very nice, so with that set up I don't think you'd be able to EQ a non-pleasurable tone if you tried!

Let us all know how the Mark Bass fits in!