Why become a member? ×

in ear monitor help

nickhuge

Hi folks

I want to get some in ear monitors but i want them external to the main rig. I want to just put my mic in to a box that sends the signal to the desk and then the signal to my in ears. My singer does this but does it a very convoluted way so he can also have his guitar going through via line selectors and an expensive TC electronics vocal box. I'm trying to have the simplest set up I can. Any ideas?

Wireless or wired? A lot of wireless unit shave this feature built in already...

But if you want to go no frills/thrills route, e.g. no limiter (but you do have control over the EQ in your ears but any tweaks of the EQ would also sent to front of house - so additional tweaking here and there may be required at that point. (You could get a simple XLR splitter and split one signal into your desk and one to front of house.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_mg06.htm

Mic goes into portable desk. Plug your headphones in and control you level to your ears. Use the main out to the main rig.

What's your budget? Guess you are going for cheap as possible? Wired?

I use a Shure PSM200 which does all you are asking....you can plug the mic in the front then take a cable from the back to your mixer, you have a second input to mix the sound you hear (I feed the bass in one and the PA mixer out feed into the other), it's a radio system with a huge range, mine cost around £500 but they have come down a lot in price since the newer model came out. The supplied earphones work well as earplugs as well so you can keep them in after a gig if a DJ takes over and blares out while you pack up. I can't recommend it too highly.

Edited by BanditSid