Why become a member? ×

Techniques you struggle with

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1432211042' post='2779204']
Ah, but the context is the interval between two notes, not position of either note in a scale. Dropping from C to G is a fourth, and going back up from G to C is also a fourth, no matter what key you're in.
[/quote]

You and Dad are both right. In the key of C, G is the 5th regardless. It's the 5th "below" in this instance (ie below the chosen root note), which is the interval of a fourth. t's still the 5th note in the scale, so G is still the 5th. Going back up to C in this instance is like going fro the 5th to the octave, which is the interval of a fourth.

Edited by phil.c60

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' timestamp='1432200843' post='2779046']
Rockabilly drag triplets with the upright....but then again, I havent put the necessary hours in either.....
[/quote]

I tried adapting this to the electric bass with no success. Impossible or perhaps a potentially sweet idea, do you reckon?

After twenty-five years playing, I'm still struggling with the following:

- getting the guitarist to shut up (ie stop playing when not needed)
- getting the keyboard player to turn down
- getting the drummer to play at the right tempo

It's not all bad news! I've succeeded with singers, I only play instrumental music these days

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1432204158' post='2779084']
Nope, it's a fourth.

[/quote]
[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1432205802' post='2779104']
Yep - he's going down.
[/quote]

It's a root 5 pattern, just using the octave G.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1432211042' post='2779204']
Ah, but the context is the interval between two notes, not position of either note in a scale. Dropping from C to G is a fourth, and going back up from G to C is also a fourth, no matter what key you're in.
[/quote]
But, if he's playing on an Em, then he's playing the #5th (C) to the minor 3rd (G).

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1432221894' post='2779376']
[media]http://youtu.be/QyBYPb-UEGs[/media]
Hope she enjoys this.
[/quote]

Thanks! Sorry to say though she wandered off muttering something about "landing fields" and "behind the fretboard" making no sense

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1432224755' post='2779429']
smug bastard, I'll never learn double thumbing, why? because I don't want to
[/quote]

If you can't handle being smug at the same time. You can watch this vid where you can learn the technique on it's own. You can always add the smug grin later if you want to.

https://youtu.be/U-N54p2YlQg

On the matter of the thread:

I can't slap n pop
I can't use a pick
I can't tap

With the double thumbing thing, it's a case of just catching the string with the very side of the end of your thumb on the upstroke. Get too much underneath and you end up getting tangled up.

With any technique, it's a question of practicing it, but it's also very much a question of [u][i]do you really need it[/i][/u] ?

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1432225994' post='2779455']
Its a broad church this bass playing, so long as you're making music and enjoying it all is good.
[/quote]couldn't agree more, that was my point really, it's hard forcing yourself to play something you're not enjoying just so you can say you can do it, and if you don't enjoy that style of music you're probably not going to need it (unless you're a professional musician).
I have the same problem with learning finger style, the majority of the music I enjoy is played with a pick, so I find it hard to motivate myself, I think "what's the point I'm hardly ever going to need it"

I struggle with keeping my fingers alternating on 16th notes when I move across the strings, particularly from high to low. I have a habit of playing 2 successive notes with the same finger when going from one string to the next if that makes sense.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1432224509' post='2779422']
But, if he's playing on an Em, then he's playing the #5th (C) to the minor 3rd (G).
[/quote]

If he is playing a #5th (C Bass) over Em, it would make the chord Cmaj7.

Ok, next, over to someone else...lol...

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1432233190' post='2779577']
If he is playing a #5th (C Bass) over Em, it would make the chord Cmaj7.

Ok, next, over to someone else...lol...
[/quote]
That's true if the key is Em. I was going on the chord being Em, with the C being a B#.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1432197199' post='2779007']
I,m not too bad with laid back reggae but I struggle with Ska. I had to learn Too Much Too Young and Nite Klub and couldnt nail those quick runs smoothly.
Also slap. I am with Bilbo on that, I have no interest with playing that type of music, so dont bother.
[/quote]slap?? Never tried it prob never will, I'm not knocking it but it don't interest me at all

I’ve never had too much trouble with slap, even if my technique is a compromise (can’t do thumb + finger pull, so it’s forced me to cobble together a hammer-on technique to simulate what the thumb would do).
Even so, I try to avoid it now. If it’s not done very well it sounds a bit naff to me, but I also have a strap with a silky finish so it tends to loosen and lower the bass over time – the lower down the bass gets the harder it is to do slap and pull.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1432237462' post='2779655']

Even so, I try to avoid it now. If it’s not done very well it sounds a bit naff to me, but I also have a strap with a silky finish so it tends to loosen and lower the bass over time & the lower down the bass gets the harder it is to do slap and pull.
[/quote]
I know what you mean. As someone else described it "it sounds like playing bed springs with chopsticks".

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1432204158' post='2779084']
I started off playing with a pick, moved to fingerstyle, and now I can't play with a pick any more!
[/quote]
Same here.

I really struggled using a pick so now I pick with no pick! I use my first finger and thumb as though I'm holding a pick but pick the notes with my nail for the downstroke and fleshy/end part of my finger for the upstroke.

Works really well and feels more 'connected' to the fretboard than if using a pick.

(Found that quite hard to explain!)

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1432243954' post='2779743']
Same here.

I really struggled using a pick so now I pick with no pick! I use my first finger and thumb as though I'm holding a pick but pick the notes with my nail for the downstroke and fleshy/end part of my finger for the upstroke.

Works really well and feels more 'connected' to the fretboard than if using a pick.

(Found that quite hard to explain!)
[/quote]
I find I play my acoustic 6 string like that whenever I'm not fingerpicking. Still use a pick on the bass though.