Why become a member? ×

Techniques you struggle with

After 30-odd years of playing it’s surprising to find there are apparently simple playing techniques that cause me problems. Because I’ve always learned by ear I’m going to sound like a right **** for not naming things properly, but I think it’s lower 7ths that do for me, especially when played in quick alternation. I’ve been going through a Motown medley this week and the songs feature a lot of ‘lower 7ths’ (if I’m wrong in the terminology, what I mean is moving to the same fret position but one string down, eg C on the A string to G on the E string). Alternating these at pace seems to unavoidably create loads of unwanted noise, harmonics, open strings etc. OK, for the C/G example I could use the G on the D string, but I’m trying to be reasonably faithful to the original.
Do you have technique bugbears?

That's actually a 5th. It's just a question of practicing it, maybe play in front of a mirror, slowly so you can see where you're letting strings ring, and identify where the extraneous sounds are coming from ?

Edited by ambient

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1432127347' post='2778383']
...I’ve been going through a Motown medley this week...
[/quote]

I know what you mean - I had shedloads of trouble when I was learning 'You keep me hanging on' (I think it was) - those 'same fret one string down' notes tripped me up too !

I have problems with 'one note per string triads' - a very basic skill I know but deffo a bugbear for me

Ah, a 5th. Thanks!
It depends which strings I'm using and how high/low on the fretboard. For one song, getting the right depth of sound means playing Ab/Eb and Bb/F using the A and E strings, ie up around the octave. It's cleaner when played lower down using the A and D strings but it lacks punch.

Fast 16th note patterns, I've been playing for 35 years on and off and still can't do it, I like to blame it on being left handed but playing bass right handed but it's probably just lack of talent :lol:

Depends how you try and fret those 5ths undeneath... I always advocate an
individual fretting action with a fretting finger rather than barring, for example

My current bugger is how to pay a fast triplet run, based around double thumbing..?
Do I want thumb, finger 1 finger 2... which is ok speed-wise and smoothness, up to a point,
or do I want to hash it, with various hammer ons so whatever two real actions you use, one of the three
will be a hammer-on..??
I know all versions will work at speed but I can't say I have any of them off as well as I'd like to be able to use in context

Slapping, never ever sussed it out. I have learned a short but spectacular piece (short as in a few seconds) that makes me sound quite good at it so I play that and say 'yeah but I'm not really into it' and move on in the hope that people will just think I can do it but choose not to. The truth is slightly different ..........

Double thumping for me too.

To the OP- Do you mute using your left hand? This is easier when moving across frets than when alternating strings but not moving position, as you can spread your left hand which helps to mute.

For what you are suggesting I would need to mute strings with my right hand as well for it to sound clean, raking etc.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1432148713' post='2778693']
Double thumbing is my bug bearer just now, but like anything, practice is all that is needed.
[/quote]

This, I seem to end up doing it when I'm not trying, but if I sit and practice it, my thumb ends up wedged like the strings are a cattle grid and my thumb is a dopey heffers hind leg...

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1432153531' post='2778744']
Double thumping for me too.

To the OP- Do you mute using your left hand? This is easier when moving across frets than when alternating strings but not moving position, as you can spread your left hand which helps to mute.

For what you are suggesting I would need to mute strings with my right hand as well for it to sound clean, raking etc.
[/quote]

I only have a thumb on my playing hand so rely almost entirely on the fret fingers to do whatever damping they can.

Just went back to having a try at double thumbing. Is it one of those things that you need to be plugged in to do? I only tried for about 5 mins & the corner of my thumb at the nail is red raw.
My ordinary slap technique is pain free as I use part of my thumb near the knuckle, but this double thumbing malarky is painful!

I was watching this video & I think it could well be how hard I'm hitting the strings (though I didn't think I was hitting all that hard).

http://youtu.be/mrmKLrOQgXY

He posts quite regularly on here in the "Techniques" section.

[quote name='TheKcrimsonKing' timestamp='1432158561' post='2778813']
I've been working on two-handed tapping for a while now, I find it hard to get hand independence, maybe I'll learn the piano...
[/quote]
Tapping isn't hard once you get the hang of it & it's not painful in the process. Billy Sheehan suggested putting your middle finger over your index finger. It gives more velocity when practicing & I used this method for a long time.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1432158424' post='2778810']
Playing with a pick. Slapping. Popping. Harmonics. Anything involving a crazy mixture of open and fretted notes. Anything beyond the 9th fret. Er..not doing too well here am I? :D
[/quote]

this.

Reggae playing. I walk on bass at a Jazz jam, play Latin stuff pretty decently and pull off your typical 16th note funk stuff. Reggae, though? Not a chance. I can't quite nail the feel and I don't think I'd go quite as far as one could probably imagine to nail the authenticity.

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1432169636' post='2778889']
Reggae playing. I walk on bass at a Jazz jam, play Latin stuff pretty decently and pull off your typical 16th note funk stuff. Reggae, though? Not a chance. I can't quite nail the feel and I don't think I'd go quite as far as one could probably imagine to nail the authenticity.
[/quote]

This is maybe more a style thing rather than technique, but one I can't do either :), we had to play it for 4 weeks at uni, I was truly hopeless at it.

Have to say though that reggae is something I never listen to, so that's maybe got something to do with it.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1432170300' post='2778890']
This is maybe more a style thing rather than technique, but one I can't do either :), we had to play it for 4 weeks at uni, I was truly hopeless at it.

Have to say though that reggae is something I never listen to, so that's maybe got something to do with it.
[/quote]

That's true! I found getting the feel Latin and learning to smash it on the '4' of each bar was actually much easier than the typical reggae stuff. No matter how much I try and drag it, it still sounds like I'm Boris Johnson on bass.

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1432171658' post='2778891']
That's true! I found getting the feel Latin and learning to smash it on the '4' of each bar was actually much easier than the typical reggae stuff. No matter how much I try and drag it, it still sounds like I'm Boris Johnson on bass.
[/quote]

It's weird, I can play latin and jazz all night, but not reggae.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1432173174' post='2778892']
It's weird, I can play latin and jazz all night, but not reggae.
[/quote]

I was the same when i first started playing reggae. I'm by no means an expert at it now, but i found its the space in the basslines that made it tricky. For me at least.
I love it now though. It's a nice break after playing some of the motown stuff :P
The technique i've never been able to grasp is playing with 3 or 4 fingers on the playing hand. I mean, i can do it, but the notes aren't even and it's just a shambles! I don't even try anymore, because i don't feel i need that technique with the stuff i play, but there was a time i just wanted to be able to play it and practiced it a lot. Still though, didn't ever really get close <_<

Edited by FuNkShUi