Why become a member? ×

As a new player, what should I be looking at when I purchase my first bass?

Naetharu

When you go to try out basses, take a strap with you so you can really get a feel for how heavy/well balanced and generally comfortable to play they are going to be when you are playing standing up. If you are going to be playing with other people in any real wrold scenario, the last thing you need is discomfort. The Ibanez SR basses are definately worth a try if you find other offerings too heavy.

If you can swing it, try to borrow the jazz bass from your mate a bit longer if you can - a few lessons from a decent teacher is a better investment than buying new gear IMHO as long as what you have to play right now can stay in tune and has a playable action. Jake Newman has a very good reputation on this forum. As well as showing you what you need to focus on to make maximum progress, an experienced bass tutor will also be able to give you some very worthwhile guidance about general technique and posture and help you make a good decision with regard to what is going to work for your body mechanics and the sound you are after.

If you are looking to initially just noodle around in the bedroom, all about playability for me for a starter. Decent tone helps but not that essential to start with. Find something that you feel you will want to pick up and won't be making your hands hurt after 20 minutes through a poor action or ergonomics. Nothing worse than trying to learn on a badly set up neck, just puts people off.

Hi folks,

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped me out in this thread. Based on all your feedback I got myself a bass yesterday. I chose a 2008 Squire Vintage Modified P-Bass in the end. I found it via Gumtree. The fellow selling it had been playing bass for over thirty years and had it as a back-up. It's in perfect condition with a really good setup so I could not be more pleased! Thank you again as it was so helpful to have some good impartial advice.

Best wishes

James

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1432390802' post='2781095']...Based on all your feedback I got myself a bass yesterday...
[/quote]
[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1432391008' post='2781104']
Glad you got yourself a nice bass! Now it's customary on here to post pics of your new bass :D
[/quote]

Yes, indeed..! :useless:

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1432390802' post='2781095']
I chose a 2008 Squire Vintage Modified P-Bass in the end. I found it via Gumtree.
[/quote]

Nice, but you've missed out the most important part of the spec: what colour is it?

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1432486602' post='2781937']
Here it is, nothing that special to look at but it plays nicely and sounds pretty good too considering its a cheap bass.

James
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

Very nice..!

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1432390802' post='2781095']
Hi folks,

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped me out in this thread. Based on all your feedback I got myself a bass yesterday. I chose a 2008 Squire Vintage Modified P-Bass in the end. I found it via Gumtree. The fellow selling it had been playing bass for over thirty years and had it as a back-up. It's in perfect condition with a really good setup so I could not be more pleased! Thank you again as it was so helpful to have some good impartial advice.

Best wishes

James
[/quote]

Sounds good!

Blue

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1432486602' post='2781937']

Here it is, nothing that special to look at but it plays nicely and sounds pretty good too considering its a cheap bass.

James
[/quote]

Lovely, I'm playing Squiers live right now, not cause I can't afford other basses (I can) but they are just really, really solid Workhorses I don't see the point in taking out my expensive basses when they can get stolen/missing.

You have a healthy budget for a first bass. I'd go and try as many as i could and you will have a gut feeling which feels right to you. If it feels right for you to play and you like the tone it produces thats a good start. I did have a hour to kill at work one day and i went to the local music shop and had a tinker on the basses there and i found that some of the cheaper basses had higher action and when i moved my hand along the fretboard i could feel the sharpness of the frets which didnt impress me. A straight neck always helps. Even turning the volume and tone knobs had a 'loose' feel on the cheap ones. I was quietly impressed with some of the ibanez basses for the price but that was my preference at that time.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1432137227' post='2778520']
Hi folks,

I've just started playing bass. At the moment I am using an old (1990s I think) Squire Jazz Bass that a friend has lent me. I'm hoping to go and purchase my own bass and amp this weekend and I am looking for a few tips as to what I should be looking for. I'm not looking for advice on which bass brand/model as such, but rather what I should be looking at to make my mind up when it comes to the basses I try. As a newbie I'm not sure how to judge if a bass is good or not, and so I thought I would try and tap some wisdom here rather than making a mistake that I only come to realise later on. I have around £400 to spend on the bass, so does anyone have a few tips about what I should be looking out for when it comes to basses that are around that price range?

For example, I know with guitars that lighter weight Strats are preferred as they tend to sing better than their heavier counterparts, and that fixed bridges are nice for beginners since they are easier to tune etc. Are there any important tips about basses in general that I should be aware of when I go to get my one?

Many thanks for your help

James
[/quote]

Tips on how to find a good instrument?

Just one - Let it find you.

Regardless of level of ability, you'll find something that feels right to you.

If you're an absolute n00b, just go for the one that feels the best to play. That's much more important than almost anything else in the start.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1432138103' post='2778530']
there's loads of great gear out there around £100-200.
[/quote]

Absolutely. We've had SX Jazz basses in. They're around £250, but you honestly would never think "That's clearly a £250 bass". I was very impressed with it, and certainly let our supplier know. My boss took one home to keep - I've never seen him do that before.

If any of you ever find one in a shop, try it out, you'll see what I mean.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1432546306' post='2782421']
How long do you all think it'll take for the OP to resist GAS for his next bass? :D
[/quote]

Hehe, I must say I have been thinking about a nice five-string that I tried in the course of searching. Something that I'll no doubt pick up six or so months down the line once I have a little more practice under my belt!