Why become a member? ×

NBD - Mike Lull PJ4 - Which pickguard colour should I have? (Post#6)

Chiliwailer

I had surgery 4 weeks ago, haven't touched a bass since and I certainly can't play properly for the next few weeks at least....

What a great time to buy a bass! :)

This long overdue surgery has got me excited about being able to play again with mates. I have a Lull P4 already, and it's lovely. But I'll always be an ash/maple man, no matter how much I try that's the wood that works best with my natural tone. Since selling my ash/maple CS 55 P Bass I've been without :( . My P4 is alder/rosewood, still great and well worth keeping for warmth, so it looks like my CS Jazz will be on the way out to cover the costs. I can't use a bass over 8lbs so it seems pointless having the Jazz now as its 9lbs.

After a chat with the very good folk of Bass Direct I ordered a Trans Blue, ash body, maple board PJ4 with Nordstrand P and big Jazz pickups. Their 7 day approval made it easy for me as I can't get there for a good few weeks but didn't want to risk missing it. Not a colour I would have gone for usually, but reckon it's was worth a shot, does look good.

I could just about get my right hand to pick a string by the neck, no issues using left hand, so I'll have a very very brief play later but keep the full on testing to when my bassist mate pops over!

Hopefully arriving today, quite excited.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1432194174' post='2778976']
Hope you enjoy the anticipation and then the opening ceremony, as much as I did last week with my arrival.

I'm sure it will be an excellent choice and look forward to seeing the pics.

Wish you well mate :)
[/quote]

Thanks Gary, it is a ceremony to look forward to. Hope it's a winner like your new Jazz. Pics will follow for sure.

The bass arrived today, put some Thomastik on right away and had a very brief play, in little 20 second spurts as I can't really play right now due to my previously mentioned physical state. The neck is instantly amazing, and the tone absolutely blew me away, exactly what I expected and with more to boot it that makes sense? Its all worked out perfectly and I'm looking forward to rehabilitating and playing in the future.

Just need to order a couple of pickguards to replace the white one, going to try a 3 ply black one and a mint green one.

Blue Lull, meet Sunburst Lull.....

[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Lull/image.jpg3_zpsg88oxlpp.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/Lull/image.jpg3_zpsg88oxlpp.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1432219243' post='2779335']
Wow, that trans blue finish is ridiculously good looking! have to say I wouldn't be in a hurry to change the pickguard, the blue and white together with the maple board make for a fantastic looking bass.

Congrats! :gas:
[/quote]

Thanks mate, you may well be right!

WHICH PICKGUARD SHOULD I GET FOLKS? :). Black? Mint? Parchment?

My friend quickly photoshopped the picture for me to show the black and mint guards...
[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Lull/image.jpg1_zpszy1azwsw.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/Lull/image.jpg1_zpszy1azwsw.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Lull/image.jpg2_zps1lwdskgu.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/Lull/image.jpg2_zps1lwdskgu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Or the original white one?

[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Lull/image.jpg3_zpsg88oxlpp.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/Lull/image.jpg3_zpsg88oxlpp.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1432220587' post='2779352']
It's hard to imagine theres a pickguard that wouldn't look good on that! have to say mint looks a lot better than I would have thought.
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1432224998' post='2779435']
Stay with the white.

The mint looks like the bass has been in the wash and the colour has run!
[/quote]

Pissed myself laughing there, good point!

Thanks for all the comments folks, might just order a black and a parchment as so well suggested. :)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1432228529' post='2779487']
I like the white one.
White pearloid would be cool too. Congrats on the new bass!
[/quote]

Thank you, loving it!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1432228815' post='2779490']
Ooh that stunning mate. Let me know when you feel up to playing and I'll bring mine over :-)

Sorry, but the mint doesn't do it for me - blue and green must never be seen etc

Any of the others will look great.
[/quote]

Shame on me for thinking green :( Be great to have you over again Warren. I'm off work for the next few weeks still so if you find yourself off work and pacing, come on over!

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1432230109' post='2779515']

Yes - white or white pearl here, too.
Love Lulls - congrats and speedy recovery!
[/quote]

Cheers, much appreciated :)

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1432231698' post='2779547']
It's a beautiful thing. White for me, or is there a vintage white/cream that could be an option? Good luck with the recuperation.
[/quote]

I think you're right, that'll be the parchment one, which I'm favouring most. Though I reckon I'll get the black one too for good measure and another great option.

Keeping with the current BCers mantra where the weight of a bass is more important it's sound and playability I'd go for the lightest pickguard you can find. 😀
Joking aside, I hope you get back to full playing fitness soon.

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1432294142' post='2780087']
They are gorgeous basses, I like the black pickguard best with the blue.
I think I prefer the sunburst P4 over my oly white Lull PJ4, this could get expensive!
[/quote]

You got the one from Bass Gear? That did look very lovely. If you an fancy a pair of Lull's it's still here for now! :)

[quote name='CokeyW' timestamp='1432300449' post='2780193']
Keeping with the current BCers mantra where the weight of a bass is more important it's sound and playability I'd go for the lightest pickguard you can find. 😀
Joking aside, I hope you get back to full playing fitness soon.
[/quote]

Haha! Better get the aliminium foil out then! Thanks very much :)
[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1432300981' post='2780206']
I like the black one the best, with white a distant second.
[/quote]

Black is sweeping the polls I think :)

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1432301457' post='2780214']
Red tort of course.

Just kidding. ;)

I'd try an anodised gold or white pearloid, personally.
[/quote]

Anodised? That's a great wild card, always like the look of them, just a shame that the feel of them on the tip of my thumb by the pickup always sends a shiver to my elbow!

So I've ordered multi ply black and a parchment one too. I reckon it's parchment for me, but very interested in the black and reckon it'd make a nice change from time to time.

Cheers all :)