Why become a member? ×

Less bass = more bass?! (high pass filter)

tedmanzie

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1432297661' post='2780144']
I have been cutting everything under 100hz for the last year or so and its made such an improvement to my live sound. The whole band sounds better, I never have boom issues, I get more volume out of my rig, there's a clearer balance between all the notes on all the strings and the clarity is unreal.
[/quote]
Ditto this. Sloping the Trace GP12 graphic down from 100hz, with the 30hz slider pretty much at full minus setting. The heat sink on my AH200 is noticeably cooler with less current being sucked through the output transistors.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1432298017' post='2780152']
Good thread - v. educational. Will investigate the High-pass filter on the VT DI further then as it sounds like 'psycho-acoustics' will preserve my 'B' and possibly enhance the overall sound by reducing the workload on the speakers.
[/quote]
I was interested so I had a look at the manual - I can't see a HPF mentioned? Is it in the specs?

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1432306348' post='2780287']
I was interested so I had a look at the manual - I can't see a HPF mentioned? Is it in the specs?
[/quote]

From the manual on the Tech 21 site: "[i]BITE Engaged (in position), Bite activates a presence boost and subsonic filter.This tightens up the sound when you are in distorted settings and adds definition to your notes when playing in clean settings."[/i]

Don't know what the frequency threshold is...

Edited by visog

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1432311606' post='2780383']

From the manual on the Tech 21 site: "[i]BITE Engaged (in position), Bite activates a presence boost and subsonic filter.This tightens up the sound when you are in distorted settings and adds definition to your notes when playing in clean settings."[/i]

Don't know what the frequency threshold is...
[/quote]

Oh yes i see, I expect will be a very low cut off, 35hz perhaps, plus the presence boost so I dont think it will be quite the effect of the 70hz hpf but would be interesting to hear. Might be good for the B!

Edited by tedmanzie

Up until recently I was using rack mounted gear - amp, comp and an eq unit. The eq unit had a low pass filter on it and it certainly tidied up the bottom end and made it sound a bit more disciplined.

I've been cutting the lows for some time now and concentrating on getting a bass sound from the low mids and mids. It's not always a pleasing sound played on its own but works very well in a band context and you don't get any dreadful boom.

I use a zoom MS-60B as a preamp at the end of my effects chain. I run a graphic EQ with the 50hz slider all the way down. As others have said, it might 'sound' slightly worse at low volumes and soloed, but as soon as I am up louder and with the band it sits perfectly nice. I do though send the effected signal from my octaver through without the EQ, I just think when the octaver kicks in I still want that to be fat as f***!

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1432234322' post='2779603']
I play only a 4-string but even the fundamental of the low E should drop almost 12dB with the filter on.

I agree that it seems counter-intuitive. I was originally planning to mod the filter to operate
at 40Hz but after hearing how little tonal difference it makes at 75Hz, decided it wasn't worth bothering.
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432247146' post='2779778']
Your logic is not correct. Check Ampeg cabs. At normal volume levels most are only rated down to 40ish hz including the 810. That doesn't seem to impair their E and B string handling capabilities.
[/quote]

If you look at a lot of the techie posts we've been saying this for a while. A quick look at Wikipedia explains some of it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour Our ears don't hear bass very well and the sound is 10-20dB quieter at 40Hz compared with midrange frequencies. That means the bass is drowned out by the higher frequencies. Then as explained the pickups only get a fraction of the fundamental so there's another 10dB lost. The result is that you can barely hear bass fundamental. The effect is even bigger than that at 30Hz.

On the other hand there are two good reasons deep bass is your enemy. One is it excites a lot of resonances in the room if you are playing live, and as it bounces off the walls you get a lot of reinforcement and cancellation effects. The second is the one you observe about speaker excursion. The speakers work so much harder to develop deep bass and end up working outside the region where they move in a linear fashion, this means the sound will distort, and ultimately the speaker will fail. I always run live with the 30Hz slider all the way down.

Sealed cabs naturally roll off at about 12dB/octave and the trad 8x10 has a lot of speakers packed in a small box which boosts the 100-150Hz range making them sound 'bassy' whilst limiting the room exciting frequencies.

Max at SFX has quoted me £250 to custom make a variable high pass filter pedal (20hz to 1khz) with either 12dB/Oct or 24dB/Oct filter.
Quite expensive just for this, but it's custom made, so to be expected I suppose.
If anyone here is interested please PM me, I guess (haven't asked yet) he might be able to do it cheaper if there were a few orders.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1432734381' post='2784388']
Max at SFX has quoted me £250 to custom make a variable high pass filter pedal (20hz to 1khz) with either 12dB/Oct or 24dB/Oct filter.
Quite expensive just for this, but it's custom made, so to be expected I suppose.
If anyone here is interested please PM me, I guess (haven't asked yet) he might be able to do it cheaper if there were a few orders.
[/quote]

For that price, you could also get one of the few DIs around that have a high pass filter, and they'd do a whole lot more. Admittedly I don't think they're variable though...

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1432734381' post='2784388']
[/quote]

This one was £73 (inc p&p) 14 months ago -
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/232358-fdeck-clone-made-in-uk/http://basschat.co.uk/topic/232358-fdeck-clone-made-in-uk/"]http://basschat.co.u...one-made-in-uk/[/url]

David