Why become a member? ×

Do you compromise "your sound" for a decent mix with band?

Iheartreverb

fiest off, I know this seems odd in the effects forum but this is pedal related.
In short I like my bass tone nearly/or all the way off. So quote bass heavy (or treble lacking). It just sounds really nice to me. The next piece of the puzzle is that I'm going into a programmable sansamp (which is famously mid lacking) and in short, my band mates hate it.
Firstly they don't understand what it does or the need to have.

So my question is probably two things,

Do you compromise your tone for something that mix's well? (It's worth adding we are an instrumental rock band and there are times where the bass parts might be the focus so my solo sound is also important)

I'm using the sansamp because I don't like the massive EQ shift when using a drive so this allows me to blend these really well while changing the gain levels and output a bit.
I also think it will be mega useful down the line for live.

I just think like the they don't like my eq with both bass and sansamp (used 100% wet) with extreme time cuts p.

Any/ all advice appreciated
Cheers!

I honestly dont understand why you wouldnt set your sound up for the band. Thats just making you sound worse (as a band). Personally, your 'sound' should come from your playing style and note choice not from how you set up your gear.

In my opinion of course.

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1432241743' post='2779713']
I'm going into a programmable sansamp (which is famously mid lacking) and in short, my band mates hate it.
[/quote]

So no one is going to like your sound except you? I would think having a sound that your band doesn't like is not conducive to a long and fruitful relationship.

You don't need my advice, your band seems to have covered all the relevant points.

for me i have sounds that i like but most important for me is getting a sound that works with the band, i like to let the guitars sort out a sound there happy with together i then fill in around them and take into account i need to allow room for the drummer.

for me and the band i play in i cant really work out a sound at home i can put something as a start point but i will always adjust things at practice to get the right sound, for me thats not sacrificing that just doing whats best for the music

andy

I always try and get the sound that I think fits the band I`m in. My preferred sounds are warm, thuddy, bassy sounds, yet in the punk band I`m currently in I have the complete opposite - trebly, gainy, gnarly. It`s about choosing whats right for the band/mix.

Admittedly, on this subject a lot of this is down to genre and what the guitars sound like - like it or not the guitar is generally the part that makes the sound of the band, so it`s up to us to work with that to make the band sound as good as it can.

Bass players ultimately serve the band.... as do all the other instruments. The only instrument that would get to be picky about "their" sound, would be some sort of soloist or guest soloist, or someone whose sound is so distinctive that they would be losing something by not sounding like them.

In short, if you don't make your sound the right sound for the band then ultimately it won't work out well for you, or your band.

You do get to vary your sound and not just have one particular sound that is the ONLY bass sound. But each variance of your sound needs to have a purpose that serves the band or the song, otherwise, why are you doing it?

Also looking to the future, there will be times a sound man will need to make adjustments to your sound to make it fit in with a particular band sound in a particular room that has difficult acoustics.

I understand that you want to have 'your sound', and want to sound good. Thats all fin, but if you dont sound good in context to the band thats all for naught.
Mids are what make the bass stand out in a band. Without them you get lost in the mix. Sure a bass on its own thats terribly mid'ey doesnt sound great, but that changes in a band context.

My advice would be to listen more to what you sound like with the band, and not just you alone.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1432301371' post='2780212']
Personally speaking I would have no interest working with someone who was more concerned with what they sound like than what the whole band sounds like. A band has to be more than the sum of its parts.
[/quote]

+1

The worst offenders are those who move directly from the bedroom to the stage. They have no idea how "their sound" interacts or even ruins the overall noise made.

Guitarists are just as bad as bassists. Scooped mids, tons of bass, no sonic space for the bass. On the other hand there are plenty of bassists who love their home grown Marcus Miller sound only to find that it's gutless with a wall of guitars.

What you get right first is partly a matter of genre. If you are a Metallica tribute then you get the guitar sound right and add the rest - but still adjusting the guitars as you go. For reggae you might start with the bass and layer everything on top.

Eitherway - if it doesn't sound good together and a band member won't adjust his settings, then he can go back to the bedroom.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I´m also in instrumental fusion trio, and also had to change the sound i liked to the sound that worked. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You have to work together in order to find the band´s sound, and the sound that suits all and the music you´re playing.[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

I spend a lot of time playing through the smallest version of my live rig, alongside tracks coming through my studio speakers. I can be fairly confident that my sound will fit well in the mix, but sometimes find myself dialling in a bit more top end live, depending on the cab(s) I am using, the loudness of the ban overall, and of course the room.

If the tone doesn't work within the context of the band and music and in a mix, it's a crap sound.
I have done a lot of live sound and recording/mixing over the years and it is not unusual for me to like or dislike an sound then completely change my mind in the context of a mix.

Usually, 'mu sound' live is quite different from the sound I go for when rehearsing on my own or trying out a new bass or amp in the music store. Most oftenthe ear find a scooped sound pleasant, but in a band mix, you may well need more mids to cut through.

You mention you use the Sansamp 100% wet. I think the sansamp is overprocessing at 100% wet, but find it extremely useful and a great tone-shaper when used at more subtle settings. Sometimes I even use it punched in but at 100% neutral setting and it still affects the sound (example of the latter here: http://bass-pedals.com/tech-21-sansamp-bass-driver-di-review/sound-clips-round-5.html )

I would probably try to see if I could integrate the sansamp in my setup but use it with a more sensible blend.

I'm always in two minds about this sort of thing, I think it's a very different situation for working covers bands than it is for original acts.

For a working covers band I would expect to be having a sound / style that was in keeping with the ethos of the sort of music the band was trying to replicate. If my sound / gear didn't fit then I'd have no hesitation in changing it to something everyone thought worked best. If I was earning my living from music I'd do what I was told and get on with it.

In an originals band I'd look at it a little differently... it depends what you want out of it. If you just want to be in a band and aren't really overly concerned about having much influence over the direction or sound of the project then fine, do as you're told... But personally I think it's important to hold out for what you think is best regardless of what the rest of the band thinks. It's the same with your playing style, your sound is part of the package a band gets by having you as their bass player. I'd rather a band find someone else who's sound fits their style than told me what to play and how to set up my gear... It's not happened to me yet. I've had bands try because everyone wants to be in control of everything, but if you stand firm and stand by what you think is the best sound for the project that gives the other guys a simple choice... If they like you as a player then they can stop interfering and concentrate on their own sh*t or they can get rid of you.

Edited by CamdenRob

The OP seems to equate "fitting in" as a compromise, and that compromise is not a good thing.

He also seems to think that keeping "his" sound against all opposition in the band is not a problem, when I think that will just get him sacked.

I wouldn't give the OP any advice about what gear to use, I'd only say that he needs to go back to the drawing board and come up with a different approach which will make everyone happy. What is the point in making your band unhappy?

If the OP wants to be inflexible then I think he'd be better off finding some like minded players and forming a different band.

I don't think the thread is going well for the OP.

I have never understood the "my sound" concept. As others have said... it is what the whole sounds like which is important. Bass has to fit around the more melodic members, add weight and depth to everything as well as complament harmonies.

For a lession on creating a unique sound whilst fitting in to the whole, listen to some Muse.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1432629176' post='2783294']
Actually, the OP plays with bass almost completely off but still has a bass heavy sound?
[/quote]

I read it more that he's rolled off the tone control on his bass, rather than rolled off the bass frequencies. Whatever the rights and wrongs, I think the OP is fighting an uphill battle if his bandmates don't like the sound!

I don't have *a* sound, I'm just trying to find a frequency space in my band. Still tinkering, though, as have just changed my rig from a "warm" Ashdown to a "headbutt in the balls" GK. 2 of my bandmates are into it, 3rd wasn't, but it's all work in progress.

I definitely think that if you're involved in a situation you should fit what you're doing to it, unless it's a vanity (I'm using the word neutrally here!) or solo project. This doesn't mean that you can't bring your sound to the table but it's not the be-all and end-all!