Why become a member? ×

Not huge fan of the J-bass sound but...

ChunkyMunky

I got my best Jazz results (in my opinion) with both pickups up but with the bridge pickup backed off just slightly. Then it's down to how you address the bass, just as with any bass, there's no mystery... it's still in the fingers. ;)

The Jazz is generally used with roundwounds for that mid-growl, which sounds great, but I had most fun with flats. A dual-pickup bass with flats can sound monsterous live - you get a really solid, fundamental tone that works very well with the drums.

I don't agree that a Jazz bass can sound like a Precision. You can mod or redesign a P bass as much as you like, but nothing else sounds as good as the standard P bass, which is why in reality they have ceased to evolve. They don't need to.

But like any 2 pickup bass, the wide tonal pallet of a Jazz will give you enough rope to hang yourself. The main reason for a bad sounding Jazz is the guy who twiddled the knobs.

Don't over analyse the sound of a Jazz bass. Most of the players listed in the previous posts were almost certainly playing stock basses (except Bobby Vega). They sound good because, amongst other things, their good ears can get great sounds out of their instruments. We have as much of a chance if we work harder at it.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432293188' post='2780071']
I don't agree that a Jazz bass can sound like a Precision. You can mod or redesign a P bass as much as you like, but nothing else sounds as good as the standard P bass, which is why in reality they have ceased to evolve. They don't need to.
[/quote]

I agree, it can't. It's all down to the time and effort Leo took over the final placement of the split pickup (which is technically a humbucker). That above everything else is why a P sounds like a P and why it still endures after sixty-odd years. It can't be replicated by using the bridge pickup on a Jazz - it's a totally different bag of frogs.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432293188' post='2780071']
I don't agree that a Jazz bass can sound like a Precision.
[/quote]

Maybe not [i][b]exactly[/b][/i] like a P - but within a band mix at volume, I think most bass players would struggle to tell the difference with their ears. Very few punters could and the vast majority wouldn't give a monkeys anyway!

With a bit of judicious EQ, I can make my J basses sound enough like Ps (to me) that I don't need a P bass. That's why I no longer have any P basses! Precision connoisseurs will disagree of course, but to my reasonably discerning ears it is close enough ;)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432293932' post='2780084']
See? I disagreed before you even said it. ;)
[/quote]

I also think they sound totally different. For me the Jazz needs a bit more eq-ing with the band, the P just works treble on or off.
Might have to try myself a PJ one day.
off topic, but when I showed NWR (name dropping lol) my 1970 Precision he picked it up played it and asked me if I'd considered adding a jazz pick-up to it lol.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1432293878' post='2780082']
Maybe not [i][b]exactly[/b][/i] like a P - but within a band mix at volume, I think most bass players would struggle to tell the difference with their ears. Very few punters could and the vast majority wouldn't give a monkeys anyway!
[/quote]

But is that through 10s, 12s or 15s? :ph34r:

Nick Beggs using a 5er jazz these days.
John Levine used one for a while.
Jeff Berlin used to use one around Bruford One of a Kind album.
Dave Hope from Kansas used one altho he did use P as well i believe.
Quite a few of the new Prog bands are using J's - apologies i can't remember their names. :D

I'm a fan of them but i also like Precision sound as well. Some GAS there too.
Prefer the J neck to P neck

Run mine both Vols full and play with tone to get different sounds for different songs. Works for me.

Dave

I was playing classic rock in a band using a jazz for a while, never had any complaints (though I did tend to deploy the S1 switch a lot ;) ). I still have it and it was only when I started doing more modern britpoppy/mainstream stuff that I switched to a P regularly at gigs.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1432305093' post='2780264']
I'm probably in a huge minority, but visually I just can't be arsed with them. That much more than the tones (and there are plenty in there, I agree) puts me off completely.
[/quote]

I feel your pain. I think I've narrowed my annoyance down to the metal control plate. That's why I've got a G&L JB-2.

Edited by ras52

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1432305093' post='2780264']
I'm probably in a huge minority, but visually I just can't be arsed with them. That much more than the tones (and there are plenty in there, I agree) puts me off completely.
[/quote]
[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1432305441' post='2780270']
I feel your pain. I think I've narrowed my annoyance down to the metal control plate. That's why I've got a G&L JB-2.
[/quote]

For me, it's the offset body that I find off-putting. Certainly not a deal-breaker - I mean, I certainly wouldn't say no if somebody offered me a Jazz bass - but I just prefer the traditional Precision body. I actually think the separate control plate is a very handy idea, much more convenient than having to unscrew the entire scratchplate like I have to with my P clone!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1432303843' post='2780245']
I like the sound that Linley Marthe gets from his.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuY4JP5TcTk&spfreload=10[/media]
[/quote]
That sounds like a family of flies in a jam jar having a drunken row at a family wedding while a group of an angry locals throw stones at a corrugated iron shed roof..!

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1432305682' post='2780276']
That sounds like a family of flies in a jam jar having a drunken row at a family wedding while a group of an angry locals throw stones at a corrugated iron shed roof..!
[/quote]

And can you do that with a Precision? Quite. :lol: :P :ph34r: