Why become a member? ×

Not huge fan of the J-bass sound but...

ChunkyMunky

Marcus Miller ?

Gotta be honest with you, but I agree. I've never gotten along with them. I had a 5 string USA and a 5 string USA Marcus Miller, thought both were pretty badly made, and very uninspiring soundwise and to play.

But, they seem to be very popular with musicians in most genres of music.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1432249989' post='2779803']
There's something a bit 'quacky' about the tones. I know that's rich coming from a guy whose exclusively plays a Musicman and all... :lol:
[/quote]Quacky.? what like a duck. thats a new one I've not heard before.

I find them very versatile, and I just love the necks! I even have big hands, whereas a lot of people who dislike the slimness of the necks think it's because of the size of their hands... :blink:

Great rock basses too(and not just Geddy Lee!). Two examples off the top of my head...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhyJVEtiN4[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfXL2aOu9ME[/media]

And this is just tonal heaven for me - as demonstrated by one of the best...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFSPXbyA8go

Edited by Conan

Aston Family man Barrett's choice of weapon (you don't get more un -quacky than that)
Sting in the early days..
Good old Norman Watt Roy as well.

It's a very responsive bass imo, As has been said pup blending and tone control mixed with where you attack from make it very versatile.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1432278213' post='2779875']
[u][b]Aston Family man Barrett's choice of weapon (you don't get more un -quacky than that)[/b][/u]
Sting in the early days..
Good old Norman Watt Roy as well.

It's a very responsive bass imo, As has been said pup blending and tone control mixed with where you attack from make it very versatile.
[/quote]

Alright, I'm floored. I always assumed that the reggae weapon of choice was a P-bass.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432280101' post='2779895']
Don't understand where this 'thin sound' criticism is coming from! :) A Jazz can be hefty as feck if you want it to be.
[/quote]

Indeed! :) There is a lot of bollox talked about J basses (IMO) :D A J can (pretty much) do what a P can do (sound-wise), but the reverse is certainly not true.

I get the ergonomics thing though. Some players just prefer the shape/size/feel of a P. Horses for courses! B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1432279767' post='2779890']

Alright, I'm floored. I always assumed that the reggae weapon of choice was a P-bass.
[/quote]

Yup, neck pickup, tone rolled off, flat wounds and a little amo adjustment and you're off!

The 'quacky' sound you mentioned is how people describe two single coils wired in parallel, not so good for reggae, and for my taste dead annoying on Stratocasters in the wrong hands!

My top tip is to ignore the back pickup - the quacky, nasal 'Jaco' tone to me is one of the worst sounds you can get out of a jazz bass.

Front pickup all the way - I almost never use the bridge pickup.

YMMV

Edited by ahpook