Why become a member? ×

Instrument Rental?

Old_Ben

I am going in to the studio soon to record another album, and it's been advised that I take another bass with a completely different feel and sound to what I have just in case my (only) bass doesn't suit the sound of a song. Now my problem is that I only have the one and can't really afford to buy a new / used decent enough bass, so is there anywhere in the southwest that rents decent basses?

While in theory having alternative instruments on hand for different sounds when you are recording can be a good idea, I would suggest that unless you are booked in for a week of tracking with plenty of time for experimentation you should work out which basses you want to use on which song before you set foot in the studio.

I took 6 basses with me for my bands most recent recording session, but I has also spent the previous 4 rehearsals matching the right bass to each song that we intended to record. Also these were all my basses so I was completely familiar with how they played and sounded. Personally I would't want to be recording with any instrument I was unaccustomed to playing.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1432276956' post='2779865']
While in theory having alternative instruments on hand for different sounds when you are recording can be a good idea, I would suggest that unless you are booked in for a week of tracking with plenty of time for experimentation you should work out which basses you want to use on which song before you set foot in the studio.

I took 6 basses with me for my bands most recent recording session, but I has also spent the previous 4 rehearsals matching the right bass to each song that we intended to record. Also these were all my basses so I was completely familiar with how they played and sounded. Personally I would't want to be recording with any instrument I was unaccustomed to playing.
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1432276956' post='2779865']

[/quote]

^^^ my thoughts exactly.

Any of your mates/mates of mates got anything that they're willing to loan you for the recording session?

Did this recommendation come from the studio? If so, then ask them if they have anything you can borrow (not hire, as it's their recommendation!).

Change the strings on yours about a week before going into the studio, and get them "played in".

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1432291622' post='2780051']
Living in bristol, currently play ltd surveryor 5 string. (active emg) that sound meaty.

We'll be in the studio for about 10-15 days plus 3 days of pre production with our producer!
[/quote]

I can't imagine that bass sounding particularly out of place on anything. Or any other bass, for that matter. And why would you need a bass with a completely different 'feel'? I would question this advice.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1432297928' post='2780151']
I can't imagine that bass sounding particularly out of place on anything. Or any other bass, for that matter. And why would you need a bass with a completely different 'feel'? I would question this advice.
[/quote]

"We dislike your choice of instrument, therefore, if you bring other instruments with you, you won't be too offended when we tell you that your instrument sounds like poo"

OR

"we are only able to get a good bass sound from specific basses, and yours isn't one of them"?

:D

Living in bristol, currently play ltd surveryor 5 string. (active emg) that sound meaty.

We'll be in the studio for about 10-15 days plus 3 days of pre production with our producer!
[/quote]

I take it, the recommendation has come from your producer? I'd ask him what he would suggest as a suitable alternative.

Also is that 10-15 days for just the tracking or for everything including the mixing?

What sort of music do your band play? Do you have a link to somewhere where we can hear a previously recorded track or two?

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1432292545' post='2780061']
Any of your mates/mates of mates got anything that they're willing to loan you for the recording session?

Did this recommendation come from the studio? If so, then ask them if they have anything you can borrow (not hire, as it's their recommendation!).

Change the strings on yours about a week before going into the studio, and get them "played in".[/quote]
It came from the producer, and he doesn't have any basses of his own, he is bringing me in some different distortion pedals though! Alas my friends don't really play bass :(

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1432299928' post='2780186']
I take it, the recommendation has come from your producer? I'd ask him what he would suggest as a suitable alternative.
[b]I did he recommended me several all of which I don't have access to; Fender P, Warwick streamer / corvette, or a nice spector[/b]

Also is that 10-15 days for just the tracking or for everything including the mixing
[b]10 days of tracking, then a further 5 days for vocals / solos / overdubs[/b]

What sort of music do your band play? Do you have a link to somewhere where we can hear a previously recorded track or two?
[url="https://www.youtube.com/user/UkBlackWolf/videos"]https://www.youtube....lackWolf/videos[/url]
[/quote]

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1432297928' post='2780151']
I can't imagine that bass sounding particularly out of place on anything. Or any other bass, for that matter. And why would you need a bass with a completely different 'feel'? I would question this advice.[/quote]
[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1432298932' post='2780174']
"We dislike your choice of instrument, therefore, if you bring other instruments with you, you won't be too offended when we tell you that your instrument sounds like poo"
OR
"we are only able to get a good bass sound from specific basses, and yours isn't one of them"?
:D
[/quote]
The 'delicate' way he put it was that; if for whatever reason when we get into recording we don't have the right sound we can make broad changes to shake things up as opposed to spending 3 hours tweaking knobs to mke something work. After doing so either way we'll know that the new sound is wrong or there is a different problem

Edited by Old_Ben

I saw you supporting Von Hertzen Brothers recently, bass sounded fine to me but I know what picky gits some of these studio types can be. On the other hand the studio can be pressurising enough without going in with a completely alien instrument as BRX says. If you go for a loan make sure you have it well enough in advance so you are as familiar with it as your regular squeeze.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1432305358' post='2780269']
So he has no idea then and just wants you to do his work for him.
[/quote]
I would call it due diligence, if there is a problem a solution / alternative to hand would be helpful.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1432305323' post='2780268']
I saw you supporting Von Hertzen Brothers recently, bass sounded fine to me but I know what picky gits some of these studio types can be. On the other hand the studio can be pressurising enough without going in with a completely alien instrument as BRX says. If you go for a loan make sure you have it well enough in advance so you are as familiar with it as your regular squeeze.
[/quote]
Which show did you come to?

[/quote]

I can't imagine how that bass could sound in any way 'bad'; even less so if you're going to be using disto pedals..! Obviously, I don't know the bloke (nor this particular bass...); on top of that, I'm a drummer, so what would I know, but that seems an extremely odd comment from a studio engineer. I'd hate to think what he'd say if I walked in with my Hofner Verithin..! If he can't get a bass like that to sound good, I'd have serious doubts in his competence. I could be wrong (yes, it happened once, but it was a long time ago... :blush: ).
Still, if you can wangle an alternative that Monsieur can handle, go for the 'keeping the peace' solution; a loan from a fellow BC would be great (and kudos to any such fellow..!).
Good luck with the project; tell us how it pans out, please..?

Edit: How many snare drums is your drummer taking in..? A couple of Ludwigs, a Gretsch or two, maybe a Tama and a vintage Slingerland..? One never knows; it could change all for the technician. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432306233' post='2780285']
I can't imagine how that bass could sound in any way 'bad'; even less so if you're going to be using disto pedals..! Obviously, I don't know the bloke (nor this particular bass...); on top of that, I'm a drummer, so what would I know, but that seems an extremely odd comment from a studio engineer. I'd hate to think what he'd say if I walked in with my Hofner Verithin..! If he can't get a bass like that to sound good, I'd have serious doubts in his competence. I could be wrong (yes, it happened once, but it was a long time ago... :blush: ).
Still, if you can wangle an alternative that Monsieur can handle, go for the 'keeping the peace' solution; a loan from a fellow BC would be great (and kudos to any such fellow..!).
Good luck with the project; tell us how it pans out, please..?

Edit: How many snare drums is your drummer taking in..? A couple of Ludwigs, a Gretsch or two, maybe a Tama and a vintage Slingerland..? One never knows; it could change all for the technician. :mellow:
[/quote]

I don't think it's in terms of good or bad, maybe my use of the word 'problem' is making it sound like I'm being told to not use my stuff, but I'm thinking it's more in terms of options for choice to suit a song with regards to feel and blending in, as opposed to a negative "my bass will sound s#*@ in the studio"

He is taking in sets of different cymbals and a couple of alternative snares I think.
Will keep people posted on how it all goes!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1432306317' post='2780286']
Rescue Rooms Nottingham
[/quote]

I hope you enjoyed it! Von Hertzen Bro's are really nice guys!

Edited by Old_Ben

My mate works in a place where they rent gear to some BIG names but that could be expensive... If possible you could buy something the producer would approve of (p bass perhaps??) second hand and either keep or sell second on at little or no loss.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1432309692' post='2780349']
My mate works in a place where they rent gear to some BIG names but that could be expensive... If possible you could buy something the producer would approve of (p bass perhaps??) second hand and either keep or sell second on at little or no loss.
[/quote]
Problem is not enough money for such a thing otherwise I would do just that!

If the producer doesn't know what sound he wants, how do you know what to get?

Maybe he should spend the time twiddling knobs after all. And if it does take him 3hrs what does that say about him and his ability to produce?

Edited by Grangur