Why become a member? ×

Louis Johnson RIP

Guest McBass

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432288639' post='2780017']
He and Larry Graham were really the only slap players I had time for.
And playing on one of the world's all-time best-selling albums was quite an achievement, imho. RIP. :(
[/quote]

+1

Very sad news.. What's happening this year? So many great musical talents passing away... :(

Absolutely gutted, Louis Johnson is one of my biggest influences. As a young player I wore out his starlicks video, he taught me how to slap!!, his groove and tone on "I keep forgettin" is amazing. I love his playing on "The dude" by Quincy Jones, he will be sorley missed.

Edited by lee650

[quote name='McBass' timestamp='1432284746' post='2779953']
Thanks for the inspiration...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lCN3A_vbGU[/media]
[/quote]such a fantastic record that. has Quincy Jones all over it. really nice finger style groove from Louis.

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1432320252' post='2780526']
Absolutely gutted, Louis Johnson is one of my biggest influences. As a young player I wore out his star licks video ...
[/quote]

And here it is, in all its VHS glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWiT6Q6Awk

'Awesome' is a rather overused word nowadays, but LJ really was an awesome player.

:(

[quote name='crag42' timestamp='1432294834' post='2780096']
I saw that myself. Surely it's not mixed up with that is it?

It's all over Twitter. People paying respects including famous musicians. But still can't find any official word???
[/quote]

I understand his brother George has confirmed this great loss.

Blue

I was first made aware of him when bassist magazine published a transcription of stomp over a couple of issues, ages ago. I spent years trying to nail the slap solo and kept an eye and ear out for anything he played on afterwards as a result.
Great player.
Sad news

LJ was a major influence. Bought a Stingray because he played them. Always had a crisp clear deep bass sound - check the Blam album. Great fingerstyle with a massive array of credits. Here he is with Rufus in 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zASUnQfi5OU

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1432365123' post='2780788']

And here it is, in all its VHS glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWiT6Q6Awk

Thanks for sharing Grammefriday that made me smile :)

'Awesome' is a rather overused word nowadays, but LJ really was an awesome player.

:(
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

Was fortunate to see The Brothers Johnson at Manchester Apollo in the late 70's.
I worked in music retail at the time so often got on the guest list for gigs, this time courtesy of A&M records.
The band were amazing, and in particular Louis. I think it was the first time I'd seen anyone play bass that way!
Strawberry Letter #23 remains one of my favourite tunes.
RIP Louis.

• 7 months later...

Was always fascinated by that [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ai No Corrida slap tone etc and u can hear it on the Mj tune above...brilliant player. who had a big influence on my slap playing. Used to play "The Dude" in a function band....amazing stuff too.[/font][/color]