Why become a member? ×

Old Fender amps and combos . Opinion seems that these are more for guitar than bass.

I wonder why that is? Is there an old Fender amp that works hand in hand with fender basses, from the Jazz to the Tele ? Maybe it's valve related .

Are valve amps of lower wattage more powerful than newer amps? Are the good for metal;)?
Probably ,and definitely punk by all accounts .
Just curious

Originally the Bassman was Fenders idea of an amp for bass, sadly it was much better for guitar.

The later Bassman 135 heads are considered good for bass. They have a characteristic sound, but If I was going to go valve and old school I'd play an Ampeg.

As for wattage/metal thats not my department I'm afraid.

I bought a Dual Showman 215 rig in the early 70's. I tried it on 2 rehearsals and swapped with the keyboard player who had bought a Hiwatt 2 412 stack. He was happy, but I definitely got the best of that deal.

Fender bass gear had a very clean sound, which largely fell out of favour with the advent of Marshall and Ampeg.

99% of the guitarists I know use Fender combo's, but I've only seen 1 bass player using a Fender rig in the last 30 years.

I have a Bassman 50w into a Bassman 2 x 15, and it's nothing like a 50w ss amp. It's fine in pubs/clubs, but a bit weak outdoors, except in really intimate settings. I can confirm that it's also excellent for guitar, as it'll break up quite early on when pushed. Very much 'old school' (but as I'm old, I prefer that..!). I also use an Ampeg 4 x 10, but like the taller cab for most stuff. The lack of ultimate power has since been solved by acquisition of a Hiwatt 200w, which is a concrete bunker-breaker.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432300761' post='2780202']

99% of the guitarists I know use Fender combo's, but I've only seen 1 bass player using a Fender rig in the last 30 years.
[/quote]

That must be the chap from Paul Weller's band who's just been on the telly with a HUGE Fender rig :)

I have a Bassman 100 Silverface and a Fender 2X15, which sounds great to me.
The cab is about the size of the horizontal ones you used to see a lot, but the badge is the wrong way around for that. If anybody has any idea what the cab was originally I'd be interested to know.

Its fine for pubs but the sound gets lost on a largish stage.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1432328422' post='2780631']
I have a Bassman 100 Silverface and a Fender 2X15, which sounds great to me.
The cab is about the size of the horizontal ones you used to see a lot, but the badge is the wrong way around for that. If anybody has any idea what the cab was originally I'd be interested to know....
[/quote]

Like this..?

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1432328422' post='2780631']...
Its fine for pubs but the sound gets lost on a largish stage.
[/quote]

Is this 'largish'..? ;) No bass in the monitors needed here for a 'biker' gig...

Edited by Dad3353

This brings back nice memories. Years ago I had a mid 70's Bassman head and the angled 4x12 cab. At the same time I owned a Warwick amp too, so I had the Warwick for super smooth, funky and dubby tones and the Fender Bassman for old school clunk.

Loved that amp, hated shifting it, so after years of it being in a mates studio sold it on to an old boy with some great vintage basses to play through it in his country home.... That's the life, if only... :)

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1432377739' post='2780957']
Our guitarist uses a very old Traynor 2x12 80w valve combo. I'm led to believe that they are a copy essentially of the Fender. Is that correct?
[/quote]

Most old valve amps are pretty basic and very similar to be honest.
The original designs were by the manufacturers of the valves, and go back to the 1930s RCA with 6L6 and Mullard with EL37 - later replaced by EL34. So, yeah.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1432377739' post='2780957']
Our guitarist uses a very old Traynor 2x12 80w valve combo. I'm led to believe that they are a copy essentially of the Fender. Is that correct?
[/quote]

Old traynors are great! Our guitarist has a 410 that's essentially a bassman, very close sounding to the original. He's bit of a fender nut and has a 58 bassman that is crap with bass. The poodles plums if you plug a strat in though. Then there's the early 70s bassman 410 combo that's great for rehearsals guitar or bass, bet it would record brilliantly too.

I remember when bass players didn't have much to choose from. It was either Fender Bassman or an Ampeg B-12 or B-15.

You could never get much volume out of the Bassman without it breaking up.

Blue

Edited by blue