Why become a member? ×

Back-Breaking Spiritual Enlightenment!!

Sonic_Groove

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1432304815' post='2780259']
I bought his bass chords long thin book about 15 years ago. I must get round to looking at it some time. :blush:
[/quote]

Haha me too!
His wooly jumper on the cover has always frightened me off 😅

Artist relations and some design work for Warwick now... His amps are supposed to be very good.

I saw him with McLaughlin on this tour and with the reformed Mahavishnu. I thought he was very flubby and sloppy in his playing for a top-ranking player...

Edited by visog

Hellborg is an interesting player. He is no jazzer in any real sense and always said that he considered Mahavishnu to be Prog Rock band rather than Fusion. I know what he means. I have a download of his where he is in trio with Buckethead on acoustic guitar. it is all good stuff but, for me, his lack of polish is part of his charm. When I hear guys like Gary Willis who are to all intents and purposes, 'perfect', I lose interest. It always works better for me whn I hear the tension in players 'straining' to get something to happen.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1432370116' post='2780846']
Hellborg is an interesting player. He is no jazzer in any real sense and always said that he considered Mahavishnu to be Prog Rock band rather than Fusion. I know what he means. I have a download of his where he is in trio with Buckethead on acoustic guitar. it is all good stuff but, for me, his lack of polish is part of his charm. When I hear guys like Gary Willis who are to all intents and purposes, 'perfect', I lose interest. It always works better for me whn I hear the tension in players 'straining' to get something to happen.
[/quote]

Well you'd love my playing then 'cause I'm always "straining to get something to happen"..

Yes - he seemed to have up'ed his game by the time he got to Shawn Lane and Buckethead.