Why become a member? ×

Are you a vol/vol or a vol/pan kinda player?

Damonjames

Hey everyone, just a little though here as I feel like I have had a lightbulb moment. I have just swapped my vol/vol controls on my bass for vol/pan and it's awesome!!! I can't imagine why you would want it any other way....
I always have at least one of the pickups on my p/j and previously my jazz fully on, so to tweak the mix meant two knobs needed fiddling. Now I just leave the volume maxed and pan between the two to get the blend!

Anyone have any negative is this approach?

If it works for you, great. To help you imagine someone wanting it a different way - I don't care for blends, I'd rather have a switch. I use a blend pot like a switch anyway (all one way or the other or the middle detent). I have no need for the minute differences which may or may not result from having certain percentages of each pickup and I've got even less desire to fiddle with it.

vol/pan, i like you like to have the volume up (actually cant think of much of a reason for the vol on a bass as i tend so set it and leave it and control the vol fromn the amp but i digress) and blend between the pickups but really only ever play on center dent thingy or neck pup for a precisiony kind of sound. center blend is the sound of my bass so i like it and use that.

I always found that full vol on both pickups on my jazz (before o changed to dp123's gave a poorer output than favouring one pickup, it has to do with the outputs being I phase or something technical (I Annan electrician so should know this) so always favour one or the other

I tried both on my Precision but preferred the blend. In fact I used the blend more than the active 2 band active EQ

On the Yamahas it's a pickup switch similar to a Rickenbacker and vol & tone. I run everything full on and it gives me the best sound.

Edited by Delberthot

Only one of my four basses has two pickups, and that one has a blend control, which works very well. I never got on with the 2 vols when I had a Jazz, and swapped one of the vols for a 3-way switch!

Damon - is your bass active or passive, what blend pot did you use, and where did you get it from?

I've always found the VVT of a jazz bass a bit difficult to work with as I like to keep a bit of volume back in case I need a boost live. Its difficult to do that on a VVT without changing the tone.

I'm sold on the Wal setup of EQing each pickup separately then blending with a master volume at the end of the chain.

You people who don't know why you have to knock the volume off a bit so you can turn it up half way through - do you not play with 'normal' guitarists that turn everything up half way through? ;)

But yes. vol / pan. I have a jazz now, that is a pain.

Just got my very first vol / pan after all these years and I instantly found it incredibly useful. I set the grub screw on the pan knob to the centre point so I can remember sweet spots easier. Why didn't I do it to my Jazz Basses all those years ago, must be a pretty simple mod.

That's it for me now, volume & pan all the way, love it.

Edited by Chiliwailer

Both my actives came with vol/blend. I converted my passive P/J from vol/vol to vol/blend, just for an excuse to fiddle with it, not really thinking it would work that well, but I like it. I'd covert my Aria J/J too but I intend making it active at some point and the preamp will come with a blend anyway.

Also considering doing it to my twin humbucker skinny stringer. I wonder how a blend with a tone pot for each pick up would work? Can you get blend pots that you can pull, that would work as a kill switch?

I got this one recently:
http://bass-pedals.com/fender-precision-bass/nordy-pj5-active.html

I ordered it based on having tried Carey Nordstrand's personal 5-string P and I told him I wanted a bass just like that, but with a J at the bridge as well. When we discussed the preamp layout, he suggested V/V instead of V/B because that was the best possible way to isolate the P pickup entirely, which was the initial starting point for me. So we did that. Whether I'd be able to tell any real differnce had it been a V/B preamp, I don't know... I have another bass that is V/B and totally agree with you with regard to the pratical side of that layout. :-)

[quote name='Bass Pedal Geek' timestamp='1432504236' post='2782197']
I got this one recently:
http://bass-pedals.com/fender-precision-bass/nordy-pj5-active.html

I ordered it based on having tried Carey Nordstrand's personal 5-string P and I told him I wanted a bass just like that, but with a J at the bridge as well. When we discussed the preamp layout, he suggested V/V instead of V/B because that was the best possible way to isolate the P pickup entirely, which was the initial starting point for me. So we did that. Whether I'd be able to tell any real differnce had it been a V/B preamp, I don't know... I have another bass that is V/B and totally agree with you with regard to the pratical side of that layout. :-)
[/quote]
That is a beautiful bass I bet it sounds amazing, have spoken with Carey and Mo and Adrian on the phone a number of times, they are great guys. The build quality on their basses is second to none IMO. I have a Nordy VJ4 that I am thinking of changing to vol/pan.... I think that would make it just perfect!

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1432505666' post='2782212']

That is a beautiful bass I bet it sounds amazing, have spoken with Carey and Mo and Adrian on the phone a number of times, they are great guys. The build quality on their basses is second to none IMO. I have a Nordy VJ4 that I am thinking of changing to vol/pan.... I think that would make it just perfect!
[/quote]Another big up for Nordy customer service. I recently asked a question about the Big Single height on my Ibanez and Adrian couldn't have been more accommodating.

Don't mind whether it's vol/vol or vol/pan, it's having the choice that counts. Though I would choose vol/vol/3 way over vol/pan any day.

It still amazes me, when you get a twin pickup bass that doesn't have either option in this day and age. Surely it makes more sense to have one or the other for the sake of versatility?

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1432399156' post='2781170']
You people who don't know why you have to knock the volume off a bit so you can turn it up half way through - do you not play with 'normal' guitarists that turn everything up half way through? ;)
[/quote]

I have one of these to combat that problem

[url="http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/Basses/20150323_185709_zpsxwqwqu30.jpg.html"][/url]

I can set up a patch with a 'normal' volume level and then set a 'boost' volume level and save it. If anyone turns up, step on the button.....WHAMO! :lol:

On topic: I prefer a volume/switch setup as I always have my pickups full up

Edited by MoJo

I've never used a vol/vol tone setup, but I don't think I'd like it.

I use vol/blend and it's great, but tbh I'd be just as happy with a three way switch instead of blend. Actually thinking about it a switch would be better as you can see at a glance what setting it is on.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1432309853' post='2780352']
I've always been a vol + pan guy but now I'm really feeling the vol + vol + 3 way selector (recent Ric convert).
[/quote]
I've just rewired my Tele bass to vol + vol + tone by adding a second vol. It was vol + tone + 3 way selector. Now it is wired similar to a ric, the redundant 3 way switch now used to switch in two hi pass filters on the bridge pickup. An improvement on the slightly muddy neck pickup all or nothing 3 way switch.