Why become a member? ×

In need of a new amp head, GK or MarkBass?

Humph

My current setup:
GK 700RB-II
GK 410RBX for loud gigs
GK 210BLX for small gigs/practice

Unfortunately over the past few weeks, I blew an op-amp in the 700RB. I think an overheat caused at least 1A of power to course through the part, splitting the casing and breaking a copper trace. This was for the tweeter circuit which I don't actually use, but thankfully I work in a software place that has an electronics lab, so I was able to get some help and fix her up.

This has led me to seek out a new amp for either my main amp or backup purposes (most likely it'll become my new main amp). I'm torn between the GK MB Fusion 500 and the Markbass Little Mark Tube (500 also). I won't need much more power than these provide, and I'm kind of craving the hybrid tube/SS design.

Is the GK too similar to the one I already have?
Is the MB reliable enough?

I do like the punchy sound from the GK, although maybe I'm just conditioned to them after 10+ years of using it!

Genuinely can't decide between these two so any opinions are welcomed!

I've not tried the GK but markbass amps are nice and punchy. try the solid state as well as the tube as you may prefer that! Also, there's a lovely MoMark 800 watt amp with a tube pre in the classifieds for under 500 quid. Definitely can't go wrong with one of those!!

I`ve had both, thought both were great. I preferred the Markbass, but for versatility I`d say the MB Fusion has it beat. Not by a huge amount, but I certainly found it capable of more. I`ve also read that it`s the least GK sounding GK amp, and having also had the regular MB500 I`d say that it`s certainly capable of a lot more warmth, so you can get it to stray from the typical GK sound. The Markbass is a great amp, very warm in the mix, the Tube bit, well it doesn`t seem to do much until you turn it off, then you realise what it what was doing. Difficult to describe really, not much like traditional tube gain, more tad of hair/fur around the sound.

I think in your position, having used GKs for such a long time, the MB Fusion would be the one - you can warm it up if required, but still dial in the punchy GK sound that you like.

I've had both and prefer MarkBass for tone, portability and reliability. My LMII & CM121P have done over 350 gigs and never let me down.

My GK 700rb was a fairly good amp but heavier and the only amp to ever blow up on a gig.

Just my tuppence worth.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

I ended up going for a GK MB Fusion 500. I very nearly talked myself into the Fusion 550 but thankfully slapped myself enough to think better of it. I also got a steal of a deal on a GK Neo 112-II cabinet, so looking forward to having a blast when it arrives next week.

[quote name='Humph' timestamp='1432912622' post='2786172']
I ended up going for a GK MB Fusion 500.
[/quote]

I've used Markbass in the past and I like them, but currently use a GK MB500 Fusion and it's great. I think you'll like it. It does 'that' GK sound well enough, but it does a lot more besides. It goes very loud, too... if necessary. ;)

Edited by discreet

I went for the GK MB Fusion 500 paired with a Barefaced Super Twin. Really happy with it. The pre gain doesn't really go into distortion which is a good thing. Feel that amps that can go into full fuzz are aimed at heavy metal types and it's an immediate no buy for me. Balancing the gain against the master rather seems to go from GK to Ampeg which are the two places I want to be. And the EQ is simple and just right. Could probably live without the channel switching but can happily ignore it.