Why become a member? ×

Grace Notes – Is it just me?

Whenever I listen back to old recordings I’ve done (original songs) one thing really grates. I seemed unable to stop myself from adding at least one grace note before leaving a 4-bar phrase – on so many occasions it would have been better to just let the root note stay where it was. It’s not that these grace notes are unmusical. They’re simply unnecessary, at least they feel that way now.
We all do it, don’t we? Don’t we? Do you find it hard to just let that last note ring out?

I think most people go through phases of using various articulations, maybe slides one month, then something else. Then when you listen back some time later, you really hate them because you've moved on and are doing something else, that you'll maybe also hate 6 months later :)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1432338544' post='2780719']
what are grace notes.?
[/quote]

Kind of like a hammer on, but you would actually play the second note rather than hammering on. Usually just a tone at the most from the second note. On a score it's shown as a smaller note with a line through, and a tie to the next one. It's also known as an appoggiatura which means to lean into.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1432340382' post='2780728']
sorry Ambient. it was the wording i was confused with. its not hammer on, its a percussive note, in my crazy world i refer to it as a ghost note. thats not actually a note, but a percussive note that is used to accentuate the following note to give it some groove.
[/quote]

Not percussive no, it's actually played as a note, not a ghost note and not percussive, a ghost note has no pitch. It's like here in bar 2 with the little A to the G.

[attachment=192613:iu.gif]

Edited by ambient

Here's an example in in George Clinton tune.

Same thing every time, from the D up to the E.

[attachment=192615:Photo on 23-05-2015 at 02.00.jpg]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QIw1BQIvT4[/media]

You can hear they kind of sound like slides up.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1432334281' post='2780697']
Whenever I listen back to old recordings I’ve done (original songs) one thing really grates. I seemed unable to stop myself from adding at least one grace note before leaving a 4-bar phrase – on so many occasions it would have been better to just let the root note stay where it was. It’s not that these grace notes are unmusical. They’re simply unnecessary, at least they feel that way now.
We all do it, don’t we? Don’t we? Do you find it hard to just let that last note ring out?
[/quote]

Similar experience with songs that I have played for many years live then recorded. Grace notes that seem to 'drive' the bass and drums forward just did not sound at all right on the recording.