Why become a member? ×

Greetings!

nekothesoldier

Hello everyone I am a sixteen years old kid who wants to start playing bass and I am here to ask for you experienced people's advice.
The first thing is that I am not really good at guitar (I have been a beginner for like 3 years because I don't practice enough...) and some people tell me that I have to be good at guitar to play bass. Is that true?
Thanks in advance.

Good afternoon, NTS, and ...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167528]

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.
[quote]...[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Is that true?...[/quote][/font][/color]
No, that's not true. Although similar in some aspects, playing bass and playing guitar are two different skills. There is a common factor: both require practise in order to improve. 'Little and often' is the usual advice; short but regular is much better than long stints too far apart. It is recommended to have at least a couple of lessons from a competent bass teacher; this will get you going on the right track from the very outset. Patience is a good quality to have, too, preferably in bucket-loads. Lastly, don't listen to 'people', listen instead, firstly to yourself, then those who know and want you to get on. This, in any domain. Good luck with your projects; let us know how things progress, please..?

Thank you very much for your advice.
I don't have a bass for myself yet because of several concerns, one of which is that I am afraid I will get the wrong one and can't make the right progress.
However, I am planning to go for one this summer and that might be a 1977 Fender Precision Bass since my favorite bassist of all time (he's quite young and not some legend though) has been playing it throughout his career.
I wonder if it is a wide choice for a complete beginner like me?
Thanks again.

[quote name='nekothesoldier' timestamp='1432388299' post='2781054']...
I wonder if it is a wide choice for a complete beginner like me?...
[/quote]

NTS...

Any decent bass is a wise choice for a complete beginner, as long as it's comfortable enough from the start (although it's not easy to know what's comfortable on day 1...). The second criteria is budgetary. If you can afford a '77 Fender P, then go for it. There are quite literally hundreds of other basses, but a Precision is as good a place to start as any other. I'm not sure what, specifically, makes a '77 any better or worse than any other year, but, then again, I'm a drummer, so what would I know..? Others may have more set views, of course.
It might be a good idea to complete your BC Profile; there may well be other BC members close by that could (if asked politely...) give some direct 'hands-on' advice..? Don't forget, too, to have a scout around the Marketplace section of the forum, where BCers offer basses of all sorts for sale. Could be of interest at a later date, and it will give some indication of pricing. Beware, of course, of the dreaded Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS...) which can strike even neophytes. You have been warned.

Nothing wrong with P basses. Perhaps a little expensive for a first bass? Not everyone gets on with the P-bass neck (I don't).

You should be able to pick up something very playable for £250-ish, especially if you try the For Sale forum here. Ibanez SR300, Squier P or J basses, Peavey Milestone III would all be decent starters, especially if you buy second-hand from someone who knows their stuff. The Westfields are decent for the money. I hear good things about the new Revelations.

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432387725' post='2781047']
... Although similar in some aspects, playing bass and playing guitar are two different skills. There is a common factor: both require practise in order to improve. 'Little and often' is the usual advice; short but regular is much better than long stints too far apart. It is recommended to have at least a couple of lessons from a competent bass teacher; this will get you going on the right track from the very outset. Patience is a good quality to have, too, preferably in bucket-loads. Lastly, don't listen to 'people', listen instead, firstly to yourself, then those who know and want you to get on. This, in any domain. Good luck with your projects; let us know how things progress, please..?
[/quote]

I would add that a competent teacher will also tell you things about ergonomics. These things will save you time and pain in the future. ;)

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432388979' post='2781067']
...It might be a good idea to complete your BC Profile; there may well be other BC members close by that could (if asked politely...) give some direct 'hands-on' advice..?....
[/quote] As you know, I am new to this forum so things like "BC" are really new to me, too. Anyway, I will try. Thank you.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1432389067' post='2781068']
Nothing wrong with P basses. Perhaps a little expensive for a first bass? Not everyone gets on with the P-bass neck (I don't).

You should be able to pick up something very playable for £250-ish, especially if you try the For Sale forum here. Ibanez SR300, Squier P or J basses, Peavey Milestone III would all be decent starters, especially if you buy second-hand from someone who knows their stuff. The Westfields are decent for the money. I hear good things about the new Revelations.
[/quote] thank you. I am a complete newbie so I don't really have much knowledge about basses and the qualities and other technics. The reason I choose the P-bass was because of that favorite bassist of mine and he sounds pretty good (to me) in his band's songs.
I have so much more to learn and I will consider all your recommendations.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1432389930' post='2781083']
I would add that a competent teacher will also tell you things about ergonomics. These things will save you time and pain in the future. ;)
[/quote]However, it's pretty hard to find a "competent" bass teacher here where I live because playing bass itself is not common here... Everyone teaches themselves and just goes with it...

[quote name='nekothesoldier' timestamp='1432474141' post='2781776']
As you know, I am new to this forum so things like "BC" are really new to me, too. Anyway, I will try. Thank you.
[/quote]

My apologies; 'BC' = 'Basschat'.
... And, yes, I suppose if you know already that there's no-one in the vicinity that could help you, there's little point in disclosing your whereabouts. :mellow:

Welcome...you don't say where you're from but you would be welcome to attend any of the Bass Bashes which we arrange countrywide - check the "Events" thread for your nearest event. You can try equipment and pick brains without fear of criticism - we're a friendly bunch mostly - despite what you might read here... ;) ;)