Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to DiMarzio DP122?

solo4652

I have a Fender MIJ fotoflame/62 RI P bass here with the stock pickup. I'm considering replacing the pickup and I've been reading up on what's available. Shortlist is DiMarzio DP122 or a G&L MFD. Before I drop a fair cash-wedge on either of these, can anybody suggest a cheaper alternative? I'm not looking for a bass-heavy Motown sound - I'm looking for high-output mids-forward clarity, as found on my (now sold) Ibanez Blazer, and Yamaha BB1200.

Thanks,

Steve

Seymour Duncan SPB2 also has more pronounced mids but probably not too far away from the price of the DP122. Depends on tone wanted really, the DP122 is great, really forward on the mids, it cuts through a mix something rotten. For the tone described I`d stick with that choice.

Hi Lozz - I read your previous threads on pickups. You know your P basses, and it seems like you've tried most Pickups in them! Thanks for your advice.

Any thoughts on these from Entwistle?

http://www.findinstruments.co.uk/entwistle-pbxn-precision-p-bass-neodymium-pickup/

Edited by solo4652

I`ve no experience of them but have read a few favourable reviews on here about them. What I`d like to see though is a tone chart that illustrates where the pickups peaks/troughs are, that would be a good indicator as to whether suitable or not. There`s nothing on there aside from resistance - being 8.4 as oppose to the 11.54 of the DP122. I`d probably estimate from this that the Entwistle is more vintagey voiced, could be majorly wrong though.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1432390287' post='2781087']
I have a Fender MIJ fotoflame/62 RI P bass here with the stock pickup. I'm considering replacing the pickup and I've been reading up on what's available. Shortlist is DiMarzio DP122 or a G&L MFD. Before I drop a fair cash-wedge on either of these, can anybody suggest a cheaper alternative? I'm not looking for a bass-heavy Motown sound - I'm looking for high-output mids-forward clarity, as found on my (now sold) Ibanez Blazer, and Yamaha BB1200.

Thanks,

Steve
[/quote]

High output, clarity, and... interested in low prices? Entwistle PBXN, their neodymium version, not the standard PBX. It's about £26 and it's a great pickup!
The ears of the cover are a little big for my bass... so I also bought some extra covers for about £3, which also means you avoid the ugly model number and logo on the front.

That's what I'd go for.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1432465542' post='2781660']
I`ve no experience of them but have read a few favourable reviews on here about them. What I`d like to see though is a tone chart that illustrates where the pickups peaks/troughs are, that would be a good indicator as to whether suitable or not. There`s nothing on there aside from resistance - being 8.4 as oppose to the 11.54 of the DP122. I`d probably estimate from this that the Entwistle is more vintagey voiced, could be majorly wrong though.
[/quote]

The Entwistle is not vintage sounding at all. From the OP's description, I think it'll fit better than the Model P pickup. It's a bit more balanced, I'd say. Hard to describe sounds!!! :)
Definitely "modern" and clear.

edit: and adjustable polepieces too

Edited by mcnach

I'm a huge fan of Wizard pickups, I prefer the Vintage Trads, the Thumpers were upsetting the livestock :D . I can only assume [url="http://www.hotrodguitarparts.com/"]http://www.hotrodguitarparts.com/[/url] are the same, as I haven't tried them yet.