Why become a member? ×

How content are you with your basses?

Chiliwailer

I've just been reading CamdenRob's poll about how many basses you own. I noticed that a lot of us have quite a few, but that got me wondering how content people are with what they have, especially when they have a few.

I like what I have, my basses evolve with me, but I never say never so I guess it's a 4 for me to start this off.

Edit - scoring 1 - 5 isn't a hierarchy thing, just a reference point.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1432406937' post='2781237']
I'm guessing number 4 is going to get a lot of votes.
[/quote]

Yup, GAS is a killer.... :)

I'm wondering if numbers 2 or 5 will get a few votes? But as you say, 4 is most likely to us GAS slaves

I'm a 5 too. I haven't fancied a new bass in ages. The last one I bought was a cheap J&D specifically to leave in the rehearsal room and wasn't GAS or necessity, just convenience. My Yamahas and the Valenti pretty much cover the whole tonal palette for me.

I also think there's a lot to be said for getting really familiar with an instrument. I like my Yam 2024x more now than ever and I've had it five years.

Edited by Sean

I am a mix of 2, 4 and 5. I voted 5 because there is one I am not going to part with. I have 4 others I like a lot and don't plan to move on but they aren't the same as my best and favourite and may possibly go one day. Then I have a whole pile of others that are just basses to which I have no particular attachment.

I have just one, and I use it to cover everything possible, from a standard jazz type band that I play in, to a JoJo Mayer Nerve type band, to my own ambient/solo bass stuff.

It's a bass that I've wanted for years, and I just snapped it up when I saw it for sale, even though I had to sell my other 3 basses to pay for it.

It's pretty much perfect, just a shame it's not a fretless.

Edited by ambient

Voted '4'; I have 3, and I'll be keeping them all, but I'm sorely tempted every time a Casady Epiphone comes up. It'll become impossible to resist one day, maybe soon, but I know someone who'll not understand. :rolleyes: A shame I only have one birthday a year... :(

After many years of faffery I was finally at five. Was. Until last week, when I found a bass I simply couldn't live without. Now I'm a four and selling one of my faithful workhorse basses (after ten years!) to fund yet another purchase. I can't believe anyone would really be a five forever...

[quote name='simonlittle' timestamp='1432426442' post='2781427']
I can't believe anyone would really be a five forever...
[/quote]

I am as far as one bass is concerned... it was sold and recovered, so I've learnt my lesson.
I really must take the time to post a few pics of it one day... :D

I'm a 5. I have 5 basses, plus one I'm moving on. Thanks to a curiosity caused by the Japanese Cray thread, yesterday I bought a Westone Thunder. I played it late into the night and this morning I can't wait to get back to playing That bass again. I love my others too, but this really ticks the boxes.
So until I see a double P Westone I'm GAS-free.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1432432574' post='2781452']
I`ve now got the basses I both want and need. Sure there are many other basses I`d like, but I know I wouldn`t play them much, so it would be pointless having them.
[/quote]
Wow. Cool outlook!

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1432463764' post='2781631']
Pics or it didn't happen ��
[/quote]

You have a very short memory, then! ;)
Just in case anyone [i]really [/i]hasn't seen them... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260700-nobd-usa-fullerton-1976-precision-bass-audio/"]http://basschat.co.u...ion-bass-audio/[/url]

Edited by discreet

I wouldn't change the basses I have, but I am still on the lookout for a really good modern Jazz type. 4 string, probably passive.

I'm hoping the new Sandbergs will be the answer when they arrive. At that point I just might be a 5.

For at least a couple of hours.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1432464142' post='2781635']
I wouldn't change the basses I have, but I am still on the lookout for a really good modern Jazz type. 4 string, probably passive. I'm hoping the new Sandbergs will be the answer when they arrive. At that point I just might be a 5. For at least a couple of hours.
[/quote]

You should seriously consider a Sire Marcus Miller V7 - when they're back in stock.