Why become a member? ×

All hale Chris Wolstenholme

BassBus

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1432421043' post='2781391']
You'd need to be hale and hearty to keep up with his playing - his stamina is quite something.

:)
[/quote]

I also wish him to remain free from defect, disease, or infirmity.
. . . :)

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1432468544' post='2781699']
Muse are not so good these days but this guy is amazing!
[/quote]

I would agree with that. Anything after Blackholes and Revelations hasn't really done it for me. All the old stuff they played last night still had that magic.

Edited by BassBus

Am I right in thinking that, before Muse, CW had never played bass? Sure I read it somewhere.
[b][i]Hysteria [/i][/b]is one of those must-have-in-the-repertoire basslines, although it's not too difficult if you can get your hammer-on timing right. There's a sequence of 3 or 4 semitones - the first climbdown in the main riff - that I still haven't got right in terms of the actual notes, but I'm hoping to get there one day.
Out of interest, I wonder if the FX unit he uses on that is of a sort that plays each note at a set volume as long as you hit the fret position accurately enough? That's not to detract from a brilliant bassline, but one problem I have (not using FX) is keeping the volume constant as I play, as it's very easy to not quite hit a note properly.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1432420224' post='2781384']
Great bass player.

Can't cope with the band.
[/quote]

He is great in Muse... depends what he could play outside of that band.

Many many bass players ( and other players, come to that ) that find their perfect niche in a successful band
may be pretty one dimensional outside it.
Maybe they wont care as they have more money than they could ever spend but their skill may not transfer
at all...

just sayin'

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1432558359' post='2782610']
He is great in Muse... depends what he could play outside of that band.

Many many bass players ( and other players, come to that ) that find their perfect niche in a successful band
may be pretty one dimensional outside it.
Maybe they wont care as they have more money than they could ever spend but their skill may not transfer
at all...

just sayin'
[/quote]

You're not being very consistent here JTUK. Chris is a great player and a top top professional at the height of his powers, there's no evidence to suggest that he is one-dimensional. It's hard to reconcile your criticism in this thread with your fawning over Vailbass elsewhere.

I'm not a fan of Muse's more recent stuff, but the performance on Saturday night was exactly what the event needed from a bona-fide headliner, and they made all the other Saturday acts look third-rate.

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1432506155' post='2782219']
A few years ago we did some recording at Sawmills Studios, where Muse recorded a lot of their early stuff. The chap who engineered for us had worked with them, he said they were the best rhythm section he ever had in there.
[/quote]

Was that Tom? We've just recorded a couple of tracks there. He alluded to the same thing when talking about the bands he'd had in there.

Nice guy.

When I first had a go at playing this, having never seen how it was done, my natural way was to use the open A for the first two notes, but then jump to the G..fifth fret... on the D string for the third note, back to the open A for the fourth, G fifth fret D string for the fifth note, then to the A seventh fret on D string for the sixth note. If you carry on with this method, you end up playing the whole song, chorus included, never going above the 7th fret on any string. So instead of playing the whole first part of the riff on the A string, covering quite a lot of the fret board, you use the open A for the drone notes and all the other notes are played on the D string from the seventh fret down. Then when the move to the E string comes in, you do the same again using the open E as the drone note and the other notes on the A string from fret seven down...then the same process when you get to the D section. The chorus is then played in the normal place. I find this much more comfortable and accurate than the whole neck method, and the notes sound much stronger as you are using far more string length. Anybody else do it this way, or am I just wierd..

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1432563016' post='2782670']
You're not being very consistent here JTUK. Chris is a great player and a top top professional at the height of his powers, there's no evidence to suggest that he is one-dimensional. It's hard to reconcile your criticism in this thread with your fawning over Vailbass elsewhere.

I'm not a fan of Muse's more recent stuff, but the performance on Saturday night was exactly what the event needed from a bona-fide headliner, and they made all the other Saturday acts look third-rate.
[/quote]

I think I'm being totally consistant... what you see is one player in one scenario doing a great job.
My point is can he play in any other setting...does he have a grounding for it, does he has the ear for it, etc etc ..
We'll probably never know as he'll never need to work again anyway.... but these niche players may or may not have
much of a grounding elsewhere.
Who else would employ them... ?? not so very many as you don't hear what else they can do..

I've been on a few auditions and a whole bunch of proggy guys don't know a soul/RnB set... so they sound like fishes out of water.
The biggest surprise there is that they didn't realise they needed empathy and needed to know a few stylistic things,...and of course,
they never got the job