Why become a member? ×

Disrespect

blue

Some of you over 60 guys remember the good old days when we were respected where ever we showed up to play.

Well, we all know for most of us that play pubs and bars, those days went bye bye decades ago. Now I think things are getting really bad for some of us.

Have any of you played places where some are so clueless to live music, people playing instruments that they're disrespectful and seem to be making a mockery of what we bar/pub players do.? You know, the drunk guy that gets up in a band members face while performing acting like an idiot.

If you have experienced this let's hear about it.

Blue

Edited by blue

Reminds me of a very funny time...

There is a place in London called Covent Garden. We were headlining the Covent Garden Festival ( no really, they put one on) in a cute little yard called Neil's Yard, where Rough Trade used to be, the old buildings are full of character and were originally fruit warehouses for the Covent Garden fruit markets but have now been converted into shops and multi million pound offices and flats.

So it's later on in the evening, summer month so still daylight, maybe 9pm, and the yard is jam packed full of people, great party atmosphere and we are having a really good gig. Then this guy in his late forties perhaps, wearing a nice suit, starts pushing through the crowd, no respect to people at all. We had two singers, both guitarists, one who is 6 foot 4 and one who is about 5 foot 5, obviously he went straight for the smaller guy (Pete) and grabbed the microphone shouting "who's in charge, who's in charge?!!" Our manager jumps in and directs him to the sound guy, he lived one of the flats, had just got home and was annoyed at the music ( didn't ever think we were that bad to be honest?!). Pete being the amazing joker that he is starts improvising the lyrics with some very cutting jokes about the guy who just stormed the stage, the crowd loved it, laughing and smiling right at him. The guy wondered off with his tail between his legs.

The residents had so much warning about the gig, with the amount of people there too it was never going to be a bit of busking was it? No respect at all, but a funny story from a really enjoyable snd rememberable gig.

That makes me think of when my wife started working for the police, she was amazed at the amount of people that would call to complain about music venues actually playing music. And not venues that had just opened up or started putting on music, or people that had just moved into houses near to the venue, but people that call every weekend year after year.
Apparently the phones went nuts when Llanelli had the Eisteddfod last year, people expecting the police to go and tell them to turn it down!

I'm not sure things have ever been any different. There can always be assholes at gigs wherever you play. Not that I've played there but Ronnie Scotts is a prime example. Yes, they will remove an idiot from the audience but there seems to be an ever increasing number of people who don't go for the music, but want to tell their friends that they were there last night.

It's nice of course to be appreciated when you go out to play in public, I'm sure we all want that, but to be respected? you may be disappointed mate. In bars and pubs and clubs, no matter how good you are, you will be just an inconvenience to a small number that want to talk to their friends.

I think there possibly was a time long ago when musicians were thought of as something special as usually, you had to be dedicated, and good in order to survive. These days, with good instruments available cheaply, a willingness of more parents to indulge their children, lessons on You Tube, the platforms to publicise your music and in some cases, simply having the right image, the musical path is open to all.

I gave up the "I'm up here performing for you so you WILL pay attention" outlook long ago. I do it for me these days. B)

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1432452703' post='2781495']
I'm not sure things have ever been any different. There can always be assholes at gigs wherever you play. Not that I've played there but Ronnie Scotts is a prime example. Yes, they will remove an idiot from the audience but there seems to be an ever increasing number of people who don't go for the music, but want to tell their friends that they were there last night.

It's nice of course to be appreciated when you go out to play in public, I'm sure we all want that, but to be respected? you may be disappointed mate. In bars and pubs and clubs, no matter how good you are, you will be just an inconvenience to a small number that want to talk to their friends.

I think there possibly was a time long ago when musicians were thought of as something special as usually, you had to be dedicated, and good in order to survive. These days, with good instruments available cheaply, a willingness of more parents to indulge their children, lessons on You Tube, the platforms to publicise your music and in some cases, simply having the right image, the musical path is open to all.

I gave up the "I'm up here performing for you so you WILL pay attention" outlook long ago. I do it for me these days. B)
[/quote]

There is still no reason for a 21 year old that doesn't know what an electric guitar is to get up in my face and make a mock of me while I'm trying to make a living.

blue

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1432455231' post='2781517']
Just out of interest what were you trying to play for this 21yr old? In my limited experience most youngsters of this age think music comes out of a 'magic box' and has to involve swearing 'smears' and various references to expensive products :D
[/quote]

We don't play anything that caters to 21 year olds,

We can't control who wanders in to these bars. We play 70's style rock and some blues. The smart 20 somethings walk in and see what were playing and leave immediately. That's what I actually prefer. I prefer it to those that stay don't buy drinks and act stupid.

Blue.

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432454845' post='2781510']
There is still no reason for a 21 year old that doesn't know what an electric guitar is to get up in my face and make a mock of me while I'm trying to make a living.

blue
[/quote]

I agree. There is no reason, but it goes (rightly or wrongly...the latter IMO) with the territory.

A lot of people experience "unfavourable" behavior from others during the course of a working day.

Does not make it right, but if you cant stand the heat......

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432443044' post='2781468']
If you have experienced this let's hear about it.
[/quote]

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1432452703' post='2781495']
Yes, they will remove an idiot from the audience but there seems to be an ever increasing number of people who don't go for the music, but want to tell their friends that they were there last night.
[/quote]

not personally towards me/us but i can let you in on an absolutley monumentally staggeringly obscene example of this phenonmenon of which you crave to hear

picture the scene a small London venue, table/booth in front of us occupied by two very pleasant young ladies who i can only assume both had the patience of a saint as for pretty much the entire show they had the endure the utter drivel spewing forth from the mouth of their host (young late 20 something sharp suit sharp tongue 'liked what he said and said what he liked' probably with a good city salary and small penis) entertaining them no doubt with his corporate hospitality and attempting to woo them with demonstrating his taste for sophisticated jazz

anyways,,, on and on and on and relentlessly on went this monologue went for just about the entire show - i feel here i should also point out that i must be congratulated for my saint-like patience qualities as it was pretty much beyond human endurance listening not only to the most pathetic chat up attempt in history but also tolerating the suffering of the two poor young ladies without intervening in a chivalric manner to save them from a fate worse than anything imaginable)

i didnt punch the twat but in hindsight i probably should have and done everybody within earshot a massive favour, and would have probably received a good round of applause too

forgot to add - the artist who had to suffer this ignorant fecking eejut talking all the way through the show including all the sublime subtle quiet solo sections was none other than the worlds greatest living guitarist Allan Holdsworth playing at the Jazz Cafe

on a plus note there was plenty of loud stuff too to drown out the idot bastard son braying city wide boy w***er and give the two young ladies (and the nearby audience) a brief bit of respite

:)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1432455681' post='2781521']
I agree. There is no reason, but it goes (rightly or wrongly...the latter IMO) with the territory.

A lot of people experience "unfavourable" behavior from others during the course of a working day.

Does not make it right, but if you cant stand the heat......
[/quote]

I've standing the heat since 1966, no reason to stop now. :D

Blue

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1432455794' post='2781522']
not personally towards me/us but i can let you in on an absolutley monumentally staggeringly obscene example of this phenonmenon of which you crave to hear

picture the scene a small London venue, table/booth in front of us occupied by two very pleasant young ladies who i can only assume both had the patience of a saint as for pretty much the entire show they had the endure the utter drivel spewing forth from the mouth of their host (young late 20 something sharp suit sharp tongue 'liked what he said and said what he liked' probably with a good city salary and small penis) entertaining them no doubt with his corporate hospitality and attempting to woo them with demonstrating his taste for sophisticated jazz

anyways,,, on and on and on and relentlessly on went this monologue went for just about the entire show - i feel here i should also point out that i must be congratulated for my saint-like patience qualities as it was pretty much beyond human endurance listening not only to the most pathetic chat up attempt in history but also tolerating the suffering of the two poor young ladies without intervening in a chivalric manner to save them from a fate worse than anything imaginable)

i didnt punch the twat but in hindsight i probably should have and done everybody within earshot a massive favour, and would have probably received a good round of applause too

forgot to add - the artist who had to suffer this ignorant fecking eejut talking all the way through the show including all the sublime subtle quiet solo sections was none other than the worlds greatest living guitarist Allan Holdsworth playing at the Jazz Cafe

on a plus note there was plenty of loud stuff too to drown out the idot bastard son braying city wide boy w***er and give the two young ladies (and the nearby audience) a brief bit of respite

[/quote]

There is one true blues club we play and the owner will have any disrespectful patrons removed immediately. Very cool lady.

Blue

I`m not that bothered about people acting stupidly, the only thing I`m really concerned about is if they physically try and have a go, which has only ever happened once. Was in a punk band in the 80s and a guy started spitting at us, so I turned to the side and hit him square in the face with the headstock of my bass. At the same time as the guitarist did the same. The guy looked like a panda for the rest of the evening.

Nowadays on the punk scene the audience have great respect for the bands (or at least it seems that way), and if anyone gets out of order they generally police it themselves before any bouncers need to intervene. Strange that really, the so-called anti-establishment music has evolved into a very respectful scene, where although they may look a bit intimidating, the audiences are probably the friendliest I`ve ever played to - unlike doing covers in a regular pub which is where the idiots seem to come in.

I'll only do it once.... and there are definitely places I'd target to play, and wouldn't be interested in playing.
Most pubs aren't suitable for bands anyway,... so I tend to pick them carefully.

For functions and parties, we tell the organiser how much space we'll need, and talk access and load-in
etc and if particularly difficult, we'll ask for help to be provided. Admittedly, it is harder to turn down a
venue than it is a pub....not least because of the money.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432443044' post='2781468']
You know, the drunk guy that gets up in a band members face while performing acting like an idiot.
[/quote]

I find it hard to believe that drunk people being idiots is just a recent invention !

I got put off playing live for about a year after I had a particularly nasty incident. Bearing in mind I've got Aspergers, read on.

Drunk moron comes up to me and the other guitarist and begins to talk to the both of us. "Mate, thhatttss some great playing like. Really rocking it" he says in a drunken slur to the guitarist. He turns to me randomly and says "You look like a f***** spacker. Who lets a retard like you out?"

In hindsight, it was a bit silly but that was ridiculous.

It depends on how you look and behave. We play in some rough pubs but don't get any trouble from punters. Maybe we just don't look like we're going to tolerate any sh*t from anyone.

[attachment=192696:1-Wirebirds_MG_4997.jpg]

[attachment=192697:10363951_799618486735188_2178525319797958273_n.jpg]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432454845' post='2781510']

blue
[/quote]

In my (admittedly limited) experience, young audience members are fine and it's the older ones who have the confidence to be an asshole. Had several issues with drunken middle age blokes.

Guest bassman7755

A band I played in a good few years ago now were kind of adopted by the local Hells Angels chapter - there would be 20-30 scary looking "gentlemen" sporting leathers beards and tatoos at every gig, needless to say we never got any agro from anyone B) .

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1432466326' post='2781672']
A band I played in a good few years ago now were kind of adopted by the local Hells Angels chapter - there would be 20-30 scary looking "gentlemen" sporting leathers beards and tatoos at every gig, needless to say we never got any agro from anyone B) .
[/quote]

I know one or two of the Swindon area HA, decent enough blokes, but certainly don't take any nonsense.

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1432461585' post='2781596']
I got put off playing live for about a year after I had a particularly nasty incident. Bearing in mind I've got Aspergers, read on.

Drunk moron comes up to me and the other guitarist and begins to talk to the both of us. "Mate, thhatttss some great playing like. Really rocking it" he says in a drunken slur to the guitarist. He turns to me randomly and says "You look like a f***** spacker. Who lets a retard like you out?"

In hindsight, it was a bit silly but that was ridiculous.
[/quote]

It may have been silly, but I wouldn't have handled that particularly well! I'd have opened with "That's rich coming from you", and closed with a smack in the gob!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1432467005' post='2781680']

I know one or two of the Swindon area HA, decent enough blokes, but certainly don't take any nonsense.
[/quote]

I remember being at a gig 20 odd years ago with a load of my mates for my 21st birthday. There were a load of HA Prospects there causing the punters at the gig a load of aggravation giving it the big i am because they were wearing colours. Anyway they picked on the wrong one or two in my group of mates and the whole place exploded into a mass brawl.....there were over 30 of us there that night. Best birthday ever tbh lol.

Oh.....And the band played on!

Edited by Number6

I'm not sure respect is the right word...

I mean obviously no-one should have to deal with drunken idiots whilst they are out earning a living, but playing music isn't really something that commands respect is it? We're not out there saving lives or anything...

Back when I was a lad and only recently began playing weddings we were at a venue we played a lot back then. There was this couple who kept kind of dancing up to me and then going back again. It was quite funny at first until they began getting too close and hitting the bass which obviously deadened the notes. Plus you know how careful i am with my basses.

After so long the singer announced that if people kept on doing it then we would stop playing. Obviously this couple either didn't hear or thought that they were being funny. We began playing again and i clocked them coming towards me again so just at the last moment I moved my bass out of the way and punched the guy full force in the chest.

The result was a huge cheer from everyone else and I never saw them again for the rest of the night.

Edited by Delberthot