Why become a member? ×

how to gauge whether your good enough to work in the music industry

A friend of mine from uni, (we studied music together), does a lot of dep gigs, and tours. She's good, but I think confidence has a lot to do with it too. Though doing lots of gigs and touring will give you that confidence.

Don't worry about the confidence. I had the potential to go completely professional but I doubted myself way too much in order to go ahead with it - don't make the same mistake I did. However, I've got the right routine to consistently and efficiently improve my chops, groove and everything else. You're more than welcome to drop me a message and I'd be happy to help out. I'd honestly recommend learning how to play on a Jazz jam and how to sight-read. There's plenty of pros here, nonetheless. :)

Learn a lot of standards and write down the basslines in a BIG book. If you can do backing vocals it helps. A friend of mine (guitarist/singer), who has his own pro band, uses a lot of dep bass players. He says his favorite type of bass player is the one he doesn't notice. Because if he notices the guy, it's usually because he's playing a wrong note.

Sight reading is a good skill to have, as is being able to quickly transpose lines that you know, or have written down into new keys, singers can be awkward sometimes.

BV's are useful too.

Despite what was said earlier, having confidence in your abilities is really important. It's really no good having the ability to do something if you don't believe it.

If something goes wrong in a song, maybe a guitarist goes somewhere he shouldn't at the wrong time. You have to be confident to keep it together and know where you are in a song, and know that you are right and take control. That's something that I was told many times by my tutors, I'm not the most confident of people sometimes. My tutors being London session players with years of experience.

Sight reading, wide knowledge of a variety of songs, good reliable versatile gear, an easy manner, reliable means of transport and punctuality would be my ticklist to go through if wanting to make it as a serious dep.

As with anything else in life. confidence goes a long long way. A lot of the people I have met that call themselves pro's aint that good tbh. Wish I'd realised that when I was younger.

Get on with it, as has been said reliability and no drama will be appreciated.

If you don't try, you will never know.

Play as much as you can at home learning as much as you can. Go onto band's websites and look at their setlists, some songs will appear again and again so learn those.

Personally it was joining a wedding band that wasn't afraid to jam a song if asked even if we'd never done it before. Ok it would never be perfect but it gives you more confidence and you go home and learn it properly. We've been together now for 20 years minus an 18 month hiatus where we all went off a did other things and we never rehearsed for 15 of those years. New songs and songs for first dances were all learned on our own and played at weddings together for the first time.

Different bands will play songs differently. Even something like Brown Eyed Girl I've played 3 different arrangements of it. When I dep I have to remember what version the band I'm playing with that night does.

I might have been lucky or just never been asked but I haven't had to sight read anything for 20 years.

Confidence is another incredibly important thing. there's nothing worse than having someone dep who comes across as being very nervous and not ready for the gig. The band want to play the gig and enjoy themselves. They don't want to have to think that you're not ready for it.

Even if you are nervous give the impression that you're not. Everyone is nervous the first time they play with a new band.

I liken playing with different bands to driving: when you get your first car you get used to what it can do and where the clutch biting point is etc. When you get your second car then you go through all of this again. The more you change cars, or even hire cars, vans etc you find the transition easier each time until you can get into a car and drive off straight away. I'm at the stage that I can get on stage with a group of strangers and be instantly comfortable but I've been playing for 28 years

Obviously sight-reading is a useful tool and is essential for pit work and a lot of cruise and big band work, but there's a lot of work out there for non-readers.

Holiday Camp bands, Tribute acts, Party Bands, wedding and function bands etc will just need you to learn the set in advance and turn up on time and play with no fuss. Keep a file of your repertoire with notes, lyrics and keys etc. once you start knowing more than 250 songs it can be hard to recall information quicker.

If you don't already, learn to sing backing vocals. Lots of brownie points there and it's an essential requirement for a lot of band leaders looking for musicians.

Be prepared to take any job you can and be grateful for anything thrown your way. People you help out now may well help you out further down the line with a great paying or prestigious job.

If your talking about good enough to get offers where there is real $$ involved, then I'll give you 2 bullet points;
[list]
[*]It can be a who do you know game to get in on good paying work
[*]Then there's experience, [i]" I toured with this or that band for this or that amount of time, I played 140 shows last year, I have extensive theater, festival and fair experience" [/i]
[/list]
Oh and don't forget about singing whether it be lead or backing vocals it always helps your position.
Blue

I agree with most of the comments above and would like to add know your place in a band,believe in yourself and enjoy your playing. Work on your weaknesses, be prepared and get that bass grooving! Having reliable kit is a must. Keep it simple you dont need to be flash although if you can do a few tricks etc you will have them at your disposal. Good Luck!

I like gjones comment....i completely agree with that ;)