Why become a member? ×

More volume please

Nicko

We played a small outside gig on Saturday. I ran a passive bass through a Markbass LM250 head and an 8 Ohm Ashdown Mi10 lightweight speaker. I always knew it would be touch and go volume wise and basically everything was on 10 except the gain which was around 7 ish so it wasn't clipping. The guitarist is convinced I need to move more air and I'm inclined to agree.

So, I have choices
- keep the 10" and add one more 10, 12 or 15" additional cab
- ditch the 10" and go 2x10, 1x12 or 1x15" standalone
- run an output from the LM to the PA

As I understand it, a 4 Ohm set up will maximuse the output. An additional 8 Ohm cab could be parallel wired to end up with a 4 Ohm set-up so I'm knd of favouring this route initially.

The final setup ideally needs to fit in the back of a mid sized hatch and I need to be able to get it upstairs when I get home.

If none of these is going to work I guess its list the LM and seek something with more output?

I should say we're a small venue typoe of covers band. The 250 Head shoudl be good for inside gigs, but I guess a little extra wouldn't hurt.

I've been keeping an eye on the lightweight speaker cabs thread and personally I'm not convinced I can actually tell much difference tonally in speaker diameters. The 10" sounds fine - I just need more bang!

Be reasonable what you expect from even 2x110 outside, particuarly.

If your 110 is 8ohms...don't add a 210 at 8 as you will unbalance the signal
in 110 and 210...
For that sort of gig, I'd add a 212, but even then, I'd expect the amp to be running
ragged, tbh...

Maybe a 4 ohms 212 will maximise things, but outside gigs ask a LOT from a bass rig

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1432662106' post='2783735']
Be reasonable what you expect from even 2x110 outside, particuarly.

If your 110 is 8ohms...don't add a 210 at 8 as you will unbalance the signal
in 110 and 210...
For that sort of gig, I'd add a 212, but even then, I'd expect the amp to be running
ragged, tbh...

Maybe a 4 ohms 212 will maximise things, but outside gigs ask a LOT from a bass rig
[/quote]

A decent 212 should cope well enough but I'd agree with this on the whole :)

I run a LH500 (500w into 4 ohms) with 2 x 212 and i would still think this would only just be ok for outdoors with no support. No walls to bounce off means you need a whole lot more power with no PA. Id get a 210 or a 212 but would also insist on going through PA for outdoor gigs

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1432670463' post='2783876']
I run a LH500 (500w into 4 ohms) with 2 x 212 and i would still think this would only just be ok for outdoors with no support. No walls to bounce off means you need a whole lot more power with no PA. Id get a 210 or a 212 but would also insist on going through PA for outdoor gigs
[/quote]

Unless it's a tiny show, or the backline rig is seriously powerful, PA support is essential. When the drums need PA, the Bass usually benefits from some PA too.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1432673155' post='2783910']
When the drums need PA, the Bass usually benefits from some PA too.
[/quote]

This is very true indeed.. :)

I'd nearly always run a line into the PA for a little (or a lot of) support even indoors as long as the system was more than just a vocal setup.

As for a single ten, I think thats probably a bit marginal whatever impedance / power the amplifier is running at. Especially outside. I'm happy with 2x 210 inside although I wouldn't expect it to go far outside without PA help.

Maybe you could sell your 1x10 and get two 210 for a bit more sensitivity and more power from your amplifier? This would give you a bit more volume and help you feel like you're not thrashing the nuts off your amp to keep up..

Hope that helps a little.. B)

Thanks all - I'm really glad no one said I shouldn't even attempt gigging with such a weedy amp :)

Looks like for outside everyone agrees this setup is completely inadequate!

Not sure about why theres a suggestion that an additional 1 x 10 would be less effective than a purpose made 2 x 10. Is this simply down to the cabinet volume?

150w through a 1x10?!

1. Get a LMII or III with 500w output.

2. Get a 2x12 or 4x10.

Accept the fact that if you want to move air you need a lot of watts and a big cab. I've played through Bergs, BFM, Barefaced, Green Boy cabs and a single 1x10 or 1x12 just doesn't cut it. Unless you have monitors for every gig. Which you probably won't.