Why become a member? ×

Bass Amp Comparisons

Skybone

So I'm still GAS-ing for an amp, and I'm currently between the GK MB212-ii OR the Fender Rumble 500 (or the GK MB210-ii as well), though I do keep coming back to look at the Ashdown Rootmaster 420 210 combo too.

They're both light weight combo's that pack some punch (or so I am led to believe from what I've heard on here & other sites), pretty reliable, loud enough for rehearsals & gigs, and all importantly, relatively affordable...

The thing is now to decide which one would be best for me. Both amps "tick all the boxes" of spec, but unfortunately, I'm unable to try either out, so I'd have to take a punt at getting one from an online retailer.

Sound/style wise, I'm playing in a rock-y/punk-y style band, so would like something that sounds good and rock-y & punchy sounding, but also relatively small & light.

The Fender is the front runner just now, because it's the cheapest, but also one of the local music shops can get one in for me (but don't seem too willing to get one in to try out). Benefit: shop backup if things go wrong. Also, with adding a suitable (and reasonably priced) cab, you can access the full 500w.

The GK's sound ideal as well, the 212 uses the full 500w with the internal speakers, where the 210 needs a powered cab (according to the GK blurb).

Can the MB210 be used with a suitably rated passive cab to get the 500w?

How does the Rumble compare to the MB sonically? Has anyone tried them side by side?

Does anyone know if the Ashdown Rootmaster 420 210 combo gets the full 420w through the internal speakers?

Confused? Certainly! Still need to sell my G&L L2000 Tribute to fund it too.

I've not played the Fender but GK and Ashdown are vastly different beasts... GK is modern, punchy and clean whereas the Ashdown is a much warmer more vintage sound (AKA Orange etc). They are at opposite ends of the spectrum really.

Edited by CamdenRob