Why become a member? ×

Eminence Upright Bass UK?

TheG

I was on a gig the other day with several bands on the bill. One of the bands bass players had an Eminence Upright Bass which he very kindly let me try out.
I was quite impressed with what I heard so I started looking online to possibly look into finding somewhere that sells them to try out again and find a price. But I can't find much in the UK at all, both places that might sell them or a price. I like the look of the 4 string model with the removable neck.

Any ideas?

I bought one of these recently TheG
I came across it on ebay. Put it in my watch list,
and it didn't sell... same thing happened again
So I contacted the seller, and we arranged a meet-up

I was immediately impressed. Unplugged, it sounded OK
Certainly loud enough to rehearse with at home, along with a CD / MP3

Amplified, I have to say, with a bit of EQ'ing, it sounds much more like a DB
than any other EUB I've played or heard

I've seen a few come up on ebay, and once on gumtree
But was always put off by the seemingly high price
The ones I've seen advertised also don't seem to have sold very quickly

Since getting mine - it's well worth the money IMO
.... I'm even thinking I may end up selling my lovely David Gage
as I'm using the Eminence more

Good luck with your search

I ordered mine direct from GEL in the US, unseen and untried. No regrets whatsoever- it was everything I expected it would be.

l have been thinking about selling mine - I always play the proper bigguns now so it only gets the occasional outing when I play particularly tiny places. I feel bad that it spends most of its time standing unplayed in the corner! It's a fixed neck though.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested or even if you just want to try one again- I'm only 90 miles away!

Edited by TheRev

A very kind offer from TheRev there :)
Worth a try definitely

I must say, I play my Eminence far more
It's just heaps easier to lug back & forth to rehearsals, and sounds great

I'd also add, although mine is the folding type
I never really take the neck off. It's a bit of a faff, and it's portable enough with the neck on

Thanks for the replies guys. I have emailed smart distribution for their prices thanks Mr Basman. And Ive left a search on eBay for any coming up second hand as suggested by Marc S. Actually I have bought a couple of electric basses this way in the past too with great success. Its just a matter of the waiting game really.

Thanks Rev for the offer of coming down to try yours out. Im in no immediate rush but if I find myself down your way in the near future I would be into that and I will get in touch with you. Thanks a lot.

How much did you guys pay for yours?

I do already play double bass but Im trying to think ahead as I may have opportunities to travel abroad coming up maybe later in the year or next year. So the removable neck is really appealing to me for flying. I know about the Czech Ease bass but still seems a bit big?

I own a solid body Ned Steinberger CRT4 EUB but I only really use it for practicing on. I realised a while ago that I would probably prefer an EUB with more amplified acoustic qualities than the CRT. Along the way I tried someones Yamaha SLB which sounded more natural than the CRT I assumed because it had acoustic chambers in as well. Thinking about it I don't even know if that is true?

The one thing that EUBs seem to have less of when compared to a double bass is dynamics making it harder to accent certain notes along the way. Recently at a gig I tried someone else's Eminence bass and realised that it wasn't infact an EUB but an actual acoustic bass with acoustic properties and a Realist pickup. Most of my gigs these days I am playing double bass amplified through the PA with a microphone and no amp so the closer I can get to acoustic qualities the better.

Has anyone heard any issues with loose neck joints affecting the bass? Particularly second hand ones. I haven't but just checking any rumours. I do know its a solid metal joint though.

Hi Mike

Apart from the obvious advantages of an EUB, such as portability and working on a tight stage, the 'smaller' acoustic sound can be useful to overcome a boomy or otherwise difficult stage where sometimes a full DB can be a bit heavy on the low frequencies. In fact once or twice I've been asked to turn down when I haven't even been switched on! I've got a Kolstein which is a great little EUB with a smaller sound but dead easy to get a good eq. Never did like the Steinberger.

Hi again TheG
Can't really put an exact figure on what I paid for my Eminence
The guy selling was reluctant to sell, but needed to pay off student loans / debts

We sort of met up, I had a play of the bass, and we did a trade, which left him some cash
plus a bass he could still play on (which selling the Eminence wouldn't have)
We were both happy with the trade - which is the most important thing

He did say he'd had some ridiculous low offers and people messing about on ebay
And personally, I'd much prefer to deal with someone on basschat
But this guy was genuine, and I wasn't going to muck him about, or try to rip him off either

The neck joint on my bass is really solid - I mean really solid
I haven't read of any issues regarding this
All I read online, was a lot of praise for these instruments
the only negative feedback was from a dealer in the US
who said he always had to reduce the height of the bridge on these basses, as they are way too high - even though they're adjustable

Indeed, the bridge on mine is a bit on the high side, but I've got very chunky low tension strings on,
and it suits the way it plays IMO

As I also own a David Gage Czech Ease, I can confirm these are quite a bit smaller and quite a bit lighter than standard 3/4 DB's
Still large compared to the Eminence, but rather smaller and lighter than other acoustic DB's

Yes, the Eminence is a very small bodied DB, rather than an EUB, I suppose
The acoustic qualities are much more DB-like than an EUB
I've heard great reports of the Yamaha SLB, but not played one
I still think I'd prefer the Eminence personally :)

Edited by Marc S

Hi Bassace long time no see. I just had a look at The Kolstein. Looks very interesting and a good choice for travelling although probably a bit expensive for me. It does look good though especially when the only other option is to book a seat on a plane for a full size double bass!

Yes Marc I thought the neck joint would be fine but always worth asking the question. Bridge being too high wouldn't be a problem at all, easily solved if not right.

So what experience have people had with flying with these instruments? I have heard of people being able to take a guitar onboard the plane and it being stored with the cabin crew. Im sure thats not a regular occurrence but that could be a similar size to the Eminence in a soft bag.

So forgetting that idea you've only got the overhead lockers which I doubt are big enough or then theres the aeroplanes hold. The Eminence does have a hard case, so would this be strong enough to go in the hold or would it need to be stored in a full on flight case to be protected properly?

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1432801127' post='2785033']
How much did you guys pay for yours?

[/quote]

Mine was a gnat's whisker under £2k, but I had side markers added which added £150ish to the price.

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1432847711' post='2785666']
So forgetting that idea you've only got the overhead lockers which I doubt are big enough or then theres the aeroplanes hold. The Eminence does have a hard case, so would this be strong enough to go in the hold or would it need to be stored in a full on flight case to be protected properly?
[/quote]

As far as I can recall, the hard case is designed to survive yer typical baggage handler. If you have a browse on the Eminence mega thread over on Talkbass, there are plenty of players using the supplied case as a flightcase.

Dave

Edited by TheRev

Mine came with the padded soft case, and the golf club hard / flight case
The flight case is quite a bit bigger than you may anticipate

When the bass is inside, there's an awful lot of fresh air in there
which would mean the contents can move about a lot, especially if being chucked around by baggage handlers
You're supposed to put the bass in its soft case (separate bag for the neck) then put it in the flight case
in order to protect it all the more...
Seems secure enough - and I suppose you could fill the empty space with leads etc

The reason you get them with a Golf case, is apparently, airlines give discounts on the amount of luggage golfers take
i.e. if you're off on a golf / business trip - your luggage is cheaper than other holiday makers....
Not used my golf case, so it's just clogging up my garage
... and I'm not going to be taking up golf in a hurry ;)

Edited by Marc S

Thanks guys interesting stuff.

Good idea about the TalkBass megathread, I'll take a look.

Thats really funny that it is actually a Golf Club flight case! I thought they were joking!
I'll have to look into that about the airlines giving luggage discounts as well.

As I say Im not going yet but want to be well prepared with answers when it arrises.

I'm going on a small US tour early next year and kicked myself for not buying the removable neck option, but looking at the luggage charges, it costs about the same for me to rent a bass when I got there (only going for a week).

The reason I bought my Eminence was that at the time I was living in a small flat on the fourth floor and mostly playing local gigs that I could get the bus to. None of that applies now...

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1432914571' post='2786192']
Great stuff that you are going on a US Tour Rev! Cool!

What kind of prices are you looking at with luggage charges vs bass hire over there?
[/quote]

'Tour' may be overstating it a bit.... :ph34r: it'll be 5 gigs in various brew-pubs and cider mills over the week of Cider-Con 2016 in Oregon.

I can rent a bass in Portland for about $80 (I'm not fussy so I've gone for a basic ply jobbie). Carting my double bass over would cost about £50 excess baggage plus whatever I could buy one of those big polystyrene cases for. If I was going over for a couple of weeks, then it would be worth taking my own bass.

A removable neck eminence in a golf club case wouldn't cost anything as long as it and any other checked baggage is less than the airlines' checked baggage weight limit.

Yeah Rev more than 3 dates is a Tour!! Ha ha ha!

Would you trust them with your bass on an airline in one of those big polystyrene cases? I have assumed (and read somewhere) that you couldn't trust a baggage handler with a double bass in the hold unless it was in one of those David Gage Fibreglass flight cases that cost £2000 that have air pockets in and the only other way to do it is to book another seat next to you for the bass? ( I wasn't reading a David Gage advert at the time either).

That has always been my assumption but at the end of the day I have no experience of it at all!

I own an Eminence--certainly like mine. Mine came with the flight case which I will not use. If you have an Eminence with the detachable neck and want the case mine is up for sale--£70. Buyer collects. PM me if interested.

Edited by gypsyjazzer

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1433016130' post='2787144']
Yeah Rev more than 3 dates is a Tour!! Ha ha ha!

Would you trust them with your bass on an airline in one of those big polystyrene cases? I have assumed (and read somewhere) that you couldn't trust a baggage handler with a double bass in the hold unless it was in one of those David Gage Fibreglass flight cases that cost £2000 that have air pockets in and the only other way to do it is to book another seat next to you for the bass? ( I wasn't reading a David Gage advert at the time either).

That has always been my assumption but at the end of the day I have no experience of it at all!
[/quote]

I've met quite a few touring double bassists who buy a polystyrene case cheap off Ebay (or Craigslist for the Americans), use it for one tour and then chuck it away at the end of the tour. They don't last more than one trip - Mark Robertson of the Legendary Shack Shakers described his as looking like 'it had been raped by a grizzly bear' but it's a cheap option and it does the job.