Why become a member? ×

Fender Tour with the Fender All-Star Band

skej21

Well, it was an enjoyable evening - Randy Hope-Taylor rather than Yolanda Charles on bass (I was rather hoping it would be her).

Although he apparently played both Precision and Jazz basses during the evening (I know he did because I could just about see him), they all sounded the same to me. So much for the desperate search for the perfect tone, eh?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1438243438' post='2832745']
So is this literally just a gig?
[/quote]

From the original post.....

[i]I was on Instagram this morning and spotted Fender promoting a Fender UK tour, designed to discuss and demonstrate models from the American Standard range. Whilst this is a great chance to try out some gear and talk to the guys at Fender, they also have the All-Star band with them.[/i]

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1438243649' post='2832748']
From the original post.....

[i]I was on Instagram this morning and spotted Fender promoting a Fender UK tour, designed to discuss and demonstrate models from the American Standard range. Whilst this is a great chance to try out some gear and talk to the guys at Fender, they also have the All-Star band with them.[/i]
[/quote]

Yes that's what I thought it was (and why I got a ticket for the London one) but the feedback from those who have been seems to be that it's just a gig with people playing fender instruments?

I went to the Manchester one and we did have the pleasure of Yolanda Charles, it was her last gig with the tour.
What happens is that the Band chart the history of the 4 American Series instruments, Telecaster, P-Bass, Stratocaster and Jazz Bass by playing what are considered Iconic tunes that featured those Instruments. As a "for instance", a bit Dr Feelgood and Police for the Tele. A bit of Floyd and Chic (?), for the P Bass etc. There's a video at the beginning of each instrument with the Fender corporate "blurb"
No Vocals and a fair amount of talk about the instruments. There were a couple of instruments available to try, and I do mean a couple, and a fair amount of interaction with the audience.
They are also carrying round an unknown, (well to me anyway), Indie band who did a set at the end.
I actually enjoyed it although knowing Yolanda Charles and Rob Harris can sing, it might have been an idea to introduce a few words. Yolanda was singing along to most anyway.
For free, I thought it was OK, but I certainly wouldn't have paid.

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1438245620' post='2832780']
I went to the Manchester one and we did have the pleasure of Yolanda Charles, it was her last gig with the tour.
What happens is that the Band chart the history of the 4 American Series instruments, Telecaster, P-Bass, Stratocaster and Jazz Bass by playing what are considered Iconic tunes that featured those Instruments. As a "for instance", a bit Dr Feelgood and Police for the Tele. A bit of Floyd and Chic (?), for the P Bass etc. There's a video at the beginning of each instrument with the Fender corporate "blurb"
No Vocals and a fair amount of talk about the instruments. There were a couple of instruments available to try, and I do mean a couple, and a fair amount of interaction with the audience.
They are also carrying round an unknown, (well to me anyway), Indie band who did a set at the end.
I actually enjoyed it although knowing Yolanda Charles and Rob Harris can sing, it might have been an idea to introduce a few words. Yolanda was singing along to most anyway.
[/quote]

That sounds like it's worth attending then :)

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1438245620' post='2832780']
[/quote]

Agree, went to the Nottingham one on Tues but by the time I got there they were halfway through the 'all star' set. No Yolanda, not sure who was on bass. They are clearly all solid pro's though I didn't think it was jaw dropping. I gravitate toward bands with singers mostly anyway. No basses to play though maybe they would have got one out if someone had hassled them, couple of guitars to noodle on. One guy was playing one as the second band were coming onstage so he was told to stop as they could probably hear him from the stage (small venue) even though it was pretty restrained stuff.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1438245737' post='2832781']
That sounds like it's worth attending then :)
[/quote]

If you're at a loose end, it's pretty entertaining, though it won't knock you out. KevB, could you distinguish much difference in the bass tones between P and J? He seemed to have put a lot of grit on the amp when he played at the Flapper and if there had been any significant difference in the sounds of the two before the signal went down the lead, it got lost by the time it hit the speaker.

Bassist was Randy Hope-Taylor, incidentally.

Edited by tauzero

No they didn't sound vastly different, though it wasn't long after I arrived that he switched over to the jazz anyway so I maybe wasn't fully 'tuned in' anyway and I was stood at the back! After the fender band I spent most of the night chatting to the Sharmans of this parish. Beer involved, you know how it is...

• 2 weeks later...

It was a bit pants wasn't it, the bass sounded horrible on any of the funky stuff, I got there a bit late but managed to get a view of the obscured bass player but I couldn't see one of the guitarists at all!

I was hoping to see Yolanda Charles, but Randy Hope-Taylor is a great player so I was happy to see him on bass.

Ironically, even at his level, the bass player gets stuck behind the pillar. If the stage had been set up 10 feet to stage right we could have seen everyone, but hey, he's only the bass player!!

He seemed to be playing one of those Fender 400 watt valve things and an 810 cab. I stood at various places in the room, There was a lot of volume and the rig moved a lot of air within 20 feet but had no definition or clarity anywhere in the room.

RH-T only played 4 string basses, so no 5's. The evening hasn't changed my view on Fender gear.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1439462960' post='2843017']
Doesn't sound like I missed out on much... except the pre gig curry :(
[/quote]

I opted for the post gig Beigel :)

*edited for spelling

Edited by Rumple