Why become a member? ×

What type of paint should I use to refinish a bass?

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

I love my recently acquired Yamaha BB404 but I'm not overly keen on the very plain looking natural finish. I had contemplated applying a veneer but don't think I have the necessary wood working skills. I've done a bit of respraying in the past with aerosols and achieved very good results. I'd like to refinish the BB in a Diamond or Arctic white with matching headstock.

I have spoken to the local paint supplier who offer aerosols, mixed to whatever colour you like, in either cellulose, 2K or acyrlic paint. As I'm not a fan of the relic look, I asked them, in their opinion, which was the harder wearing.
"They're all about the same," was the reply.

Is this true? I know cellulose is probably the easiest to work with. I'd appreciate the input of any BC'er who could advise me

In the past I've used the standard spray cans from Halfords. It went on ok and I got a nice finish. I didn't realise however that it takes ages to fully harden, so when I screwed on the hardware and scratchplate, there were a few squish marks (not really visible when hardware on)

I'm actually going to sell the bass now, so have stripped it again to do a flawless refin. I've gone for the Nitrocellulose this time. It goes on quite nicely and dries extremely quickly. Cuts back nicely too.

Im still going to give it a week before screwing on the bits this time.