Why become a member? ×

SKB case handle replacement

I picked up my OEM Fender case the other week (it's made by SKB) and the handle ripped off.

Turns out, one of the two pins holding the handle on had fallen out (dunno how) and when I picked it up, the strain on just one part of the handle was enough to rip the handle off. Dammit.

However! I searched the web and saw that I could order a replacement handle (with pins) from SKB in the US for £12.83 inc postage to the UK (no import duty as it is too low value for that). A mere SEVEN days later - it has arrived. That's cool.

Here they are, broken one and new identical one.

[attachment=192950:IMG_4594.jpg]

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1432740258' post='2784468']
Is there an obvious fault in how the pins attach the handle to the case?

steve
[/quote]

I dunno Steve. I never thought about it until it went "snap". I'll be looking at that in detail tonight though when I try to put the replacement one on.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1432744219' post='2784546']
Sounds like a result, Jenny :)
[/quote]

Yeah. The handle appears to be held on by two "slide in pins". There doesn't appear to be much holding them in. They're a bit of a snug fit, but not massively so.

All done and fixed. Yay!!! But I'll be keeping a weather eye on it as I don't want the P Bass to go bouncing down the road.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1432755946' post='2784727']
Yeah. The handle appears to be held on by two "slide in pins". There doesn't appear to be much holding them in. They're a bit of a snug fit, but not massively so.

All done and fixed. Yay!!! But I'll be keeping a weather eye on it as I don't want the P Bass to go bouncing down the road.
[/quote]
As long as they have been pressed or tapped in flush at either side, I would have thought they should hold OK. Same principle as the latch pin on this [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TOcarNMWb8"]SKB 'How To' Video[/url]

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1432763986' post='2784843']
As long as they have been pressed or tapped in flush at either side, I would have thought they should hold OK. Same principle as the latch pin on this [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TOcarNMWb8"]SKB 'How To' Video[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah. Identical to that, except the pins are about half as long as that. They are a "push fit" I guess - so should stay snug in there once tapped in - and would need to be tapped out.

I'm at a loss to figure out how one of them fell out then - causing the damage. But hey - all fixed now.