Why become a member? ×

EHX Bass Soul Food overdrive

mcnach

I just got one and I'm not too impressed. It thins out my sound no end and I have to blend so much clean back in to try to retain my tone, I may as well not turn it on. Although I haven't tried it live yet but I don't think it'll be a keeper for my needs.
I have plenty of other pedals that do the low-medium gain drive a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1441449413' post='2858957']
I just got one and I'm not too impressed. It thins out my sound no end and I have to blend so much clean back in to try to retain my tone, I may as well not turn it on. Although I haven't tried it live yet but I don't think it'll be a keeper for my needs.
I have plenty of other pedals that do the low-medium gain drive a lot better.
[/quote]
I finally gigged my Bass Soul Food last night, and I have to say it sounded loads better at high volume than it did quietly at home. It retained the low end well and added some nice bite to my sound. And running it into other dirt pedals worked well too.
Pedals just don't sound the same at bedroom levels and gigs. I take back what I said about it, It's now a keeper :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1453164605' post='2957113']
Just tried out my Bass Soul Food tonight and whilst I like it it seems like you have to go past 12 on the drive knob before you really begin to get "noticable" distortion. Does this tally with everyone else's experience?
[/quote]

it also depends where your tone control is: the more towards the treble you are, the sooner you hear the distortion.

It plays exceptionally well with other pedals. I run mine into a b3k and its a match made...I have very hot pickups so I can get quite a aggressive growl from it,I have blend at 11o clock drive at2 tone noon and level to suit.

Just found out it also has an internal switch for true bypass or buffered.

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1453191586' post='2957168']
Cool. It's a nice pedal but more subtle than I was expecting (not a bad thing).
[/quote]

indeed! It can do pretty distorted if you want it to, but I like how you can get a wide range of mild overdrive sounds, which is what I prefer :)

• 1 year later...

Hi. I don't post much but I'm always on here mining your collective knowledge. So here goes. Just got a BSF off EBay. Pedals mint. Used it on Thursday at a gig. Was fine. Sounded great actually. Plugged it in today. Large electronic whine and now all I can get out of it is fizz. I'd read here that they can be sensitive to voltage. Any advice or is the pedal fecked? Thx in advance and apologies for being a technotard.

Hi. The for replying. I was using a daisy chain on both occasions. Seems to be luck of the draw from what I've read. It's an Ebayer too. Pretty gutted as it's a great pedal. Is there a way of plugging this in to avoid blowing it. The power was on both times I used this too.

• 3 months later...