Why become a member? ×

EHX Bass Soul Food overdrive

mcnach

I just played with one and... I like it!

It covers very well the range between clean to just-a-bit-of-dirt to mild overdrive. The tone control is interesting, it really shapes the sound.

I am having one of these, please. :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1432753230' post='2784686']
I just played with one and... I like it!

It covers very well the range between clean to just-a-bit-of-dirt to mild overdrive. The tone control is interesting, it really shapes the sound.

I am having one of these, please. :)
[/quote]

I'm very pleased with mine - you're right, it's great for the 'just breaking up' sounds. Haven't had a chance to play at gigging volume as yet, but it sounds promising.

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1432760044' post='2784786']
I tried one out last week & I really liked it ... nearly bought it but looks like I'm getting a Cog Knightfall (variant) instead :)
[/quote]

I heard great things about the Knightfall!

I have a variant of the COG Darklighter which is very sweet, but the Soul Food is a different flavour, very tasty too. :)

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1432766714' post='2784890']
so would you say it would give a nice tubey/motown type of drive, the same way the solid gold beta drive does? I quite fancy one of these myself :)
[/quote]

A lot of pedals claim to to a tubey type of overdrive. None really nail it, I don't think. But I think you can get a pretty nice approximation with this. The treble knob allows you to dial in "edginess", I like it turned down a bit, for a fuller, mellower, rounder sound. Then up the drive to taste and adjust balance with the blend knob... I'm really liking what this pedal does.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1432911210' post='2786164']
So is it just a Klon with a clean blend or is there more to it than that?
[/quote]

According to the blurb on the EHX website...

"The Electro Harmonix Bass Soul Food takes the original guitar-focused Soul Food and adds in low end definition and punch to make it better suit a bass guitar. From a soft clean boost to a medium gain transparent overdrive this 'Klon-like' drive has been made from the ground up to work the best with lower frequencies."

Which seems to suggest some tweaking to pass more bass, perhaps changing the decoupling capacitors ? I've not seen any schematics yet.

Just read this post on Talkbass today, sorry for straying, and the actual engineer that designed it spilled the beans on most of the changes over the standard Soul Food. Seems quite comprehensive.

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-ehx-bass-soul-food.1125816/page-2

so would you say it would give a nice tubey/motown type of drive, the same way the solid gold beta drive does? I quite fancy one of these myself :)
[/quote]

I have both on my pedal board, and the Beta is a different animal. The Beta is fat, warm, punchy tube drive that sits nicely in the mix. I use it as an always-on pedal. It's quality, and kind of gives that 'tone' you search for, being a P player.

The EHX is a great overdrive. The level of grit is just right- it must be the blend control- but you don't lose your place in the mix, as so many pedals seem to do, with the character and tone of the drive being what cuts through.

I hate pedals which make you disappear, and you can't hear the drive, or are too top-endy so all you hear is the drive and no fundamental.

Highly recommended, and for £60? Crazy.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1432922386' post='2786281']
Just read this post on Talkbass today, sorry for straying, and the actual engineer that designed it spilled the beans on most of the changes over the standard Soul Food. Seems quite comprehensive.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-ehx-bass-soul-food.1125816/page-2"]http://www.talkbass.....1125816/page-2[/url]
[/quote]

Good find - very informative.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1432940539' post='2786543']

I have both on my pedal board, and the Beta is a different animal. The Beta is fat, warm, punchy tube drive that sits nicely in the mix. I use it as an always-on pedal. It's quality, and kind of gives that 'tone' you search for, being a P player.

The EHX is a great overdrive. The level of grit is just right- it must be the blend control- but you don't lose your place in the mix, as so many pedals seem to do, with the character and tone of the drive being what cuts through.

I hate pedals which make you disappear, and you can't hear the drive, or are too top-endy so all you hear is the drive and no fundamental.

Highly recommended, and for £60? Crazy.
[/quote]

Cheers mate, I think ill hang on for a used Beta as it sounds just what I want for warming my P bass (sorry to go OT)

I used the Bass Soul Food last night, and I decided to make it a permanent addition to the mini board (Pedaltrain nano, actually, containing a Korg Pitchblack tuner, an EBS Multicomp, now the Soul Food, and a Thumpinator to end it all).

Playing my Precision, and using provided backline for a change last night. It was a bit lacking in the mids, a bit indistinct... Enter the Soul Food! It has a prominent mids enhanced tone, which you can easily tame with either (or both of) the treble control and the blend control. I set it with minimal drive (it did not sound distorted), knocked down the treble a bit and adjusted blend to get the body full again, while I adjusted the level to match... Switching it on/off made a subtle but very appropriate change to the sound. It sounded just like my bass without it, but with an extra bump in the midrange in a way that it sounded fat, not honky/boxy.

It stays.

Now one of my VT-Bass pedals can go. This covers the low drive area much better, to my taste.

Nice one. Good wee review.

I ordered mine on Amazon on Friday and it got here on Saturday, by way of HotRox.

Will plug it in tonight with the headphones and tomorrow night at rehearsal. One of the pluses, I hope, is the prominent mid, which I hope will send me a bit more forward in the mix. I play through a Genz Benz Streamliner with a GL L2000 or a P bass. Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

[/quote]

I've not played one in person, but the demos suggest to me that Motown style is not it's forte. Best pedals for that (IMHO) are either a v1 Catalinbread SFT (older one with the white knobs) or a Bearfoot Blueberry. Both more expensive than the EHX though, granted!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1433165627' post='2788443']
I've not played one in person, but the demos suggest to me that Motown style is not it's forte. Best pedals for that (IMHO) are either a v1 Catalinbread SFT (older one with the white knobs) or a Bearfoot Blueberry. Both more expensive than the EHX though, granted!
[/quote]

The demos seem to show the more distorted/less smooth type of sounds. Don't dismiss it based on those demos!

Managed to have a wee play with my Bass Soul Food last night, using my Anerican Special Precision and my Streamliner. Absolutely delighted with it. The blend knob is the key. Had that just about 11oclock, drive about 1 o'clock and treble about 2 o'clock. Added some weight to the signal and brought a nice slight overdrive to the sound. Harmonics sounded more prominent. Excellent with a pick. Will see how we go at practice tonight.

• 1 month later...

Well, after using it for a bit now, I can say I'm really glad I bought it. It works really well with a Precision to add a little bit of "something"... some light drive that doesn't sound clearly overdriven but increases the "growl" and definition whilst retaining the big low end... I love this pedal!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1435956089' post='2814041']
Well, after using it for a bit now, I can say I'm really glad I bought it. It works really well with a Precision to add a little bit of "something"... some light drive that doesn't sound clearly overdriven but increases the "growl" and definition whilst retaining the big low end... I love this pedal!
[/quote]

Same boat here.

Just bought one today at GAK down in Brighton as I was going over to jam at Brighton Electric.

I got it without trying it out and went straight to meet my band mates.

I was using my bitsa P with flats through a Markbass LM3 + Ampeg 8x10's.

Normaly a pedal with more than 3 knobs scares me, but the Bass Soul Food is easy to dial in.

Volume, Gain, Treble, Blend and the pad for active basses.

I set up my basic sound on the Markbass, pretty flat EQ with the bass rolled off a little and the VLE @ 11 and the VPF @ 9.

Without the Soul Food the bass sounded good, thumpy but still had definition.
Once I stepped on the pedal I could not hear much difference but you could tell it was doing something.
When the band started playing, that is when I noticed the difference.

The pedal fattens up a little the low end and also makes you cut through the mix better.
Not only you could feel the bass but you could hear it.

It is not high gain pedal and I only got a little bit of breakup at high settings with the gain and treble full on.

I think it sounded great with flats and I trust it will kill with rounds and the tone full open for a rockier vibe.

Great pedal for an always on situation and it is certainly a keeper for me.

Edited by Byo

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1433240543' post='2789178']
Managed to have a wee play with my Bass Soul Food last night, using my Anerican Special Precision and my Streamliner. Absolutely delighted with it. The blend knob is the key. Had that just about 11oclock, drive about 1 o'clock and treble about 2 o'clock. Added some weight to the signal and brought a nice slight overdrive to the sound. Harmonics sounded more prominent. Excellent with a pick. Will see how we go at practice tonight.
[/quote]

I used very similar settings too.

Just ordered one of these from GAK as I needed a distortion pedal for when my band covers Ace Of Spades (just doesn't quite work with a clean sound). After watching the various YouTube demos and reading this thread though, I'm now thinking I may actually use it as an always on pedal for warmth and growl and just crank it when I need a full on overdriven sound.
Should arrive tomorrow so looking forward to having a play with it at Saturday nights gig!

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1436978583' post='2822537']
Just ordered one of these from GAK as I needed a distortion pedal for when my band covers Ace Of Spades (just doesn't quite work with a clean sound). After watching the various YouTube demos and reading this thread though, I'm now thinking I may actually use it as an always on pedal for warmth and growl and just crank it when I need a full on overdriven sound.
Should arrive tomorrow so looking forward to having a play with it at Saturday nights gig!
[/quote]

I'm not sure it would be the right noise for Ace of Spades, its strength lies in lower gain sounds. But with the treble knob up a bit you do get a pretty dirty sound, who knows? Let us know how you find it!